For all those dead against more lockdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that should be everyone as people are sick to f***ing death of them. Surely you still have a tolerance level?

People watched in horror when Italy and then us were getting 1,000 deaths a day. Whilst I appreciate people are fatigued by the situation, surely watching similar on tv screens if we get back to that even the most hardened opponents of lockdown would accept that we couldn’t as a country just let that situation continue?

Secondly the economic argument has been shown by economists to be bollocks. If you get beyond a critical mass of the virus in circulation a lot of businesses, production lines etc... will simply stop by default from people Ill or self isolating. Likewise they have said consumer confidence will go through the floor more so then if it’s controlled. Controlling the spread is far better for the economy.

No one wants a 2nd lockdown but if it starts to spread too wildly we don’t help either health or the economy by just saying fuck it, let’s crack on.

What about people who will lose there business & jobs from another lockdown?

If it was your job on the line would you still be for another lockdown?

I drove past four or five white vans today filled with more than one bloke and not one of the occupants had a mask on.
I know of many people who already today have broken to rules relating to the childcare stuff and visiting family. People aren't buying into these half arsed pathetic rules.

What about people who will lose there business & jobs from another lockdown?

If it was your job on the line would you still be for another lockdown?

You have completely ignored what I said.

Economists have said that if you don’t control the virus it will fuck he economy. Certain parts of the US have experienced this where things have ground to a halt. Businesses shuttered because they can’t operate due to the number of people ill and consumer confidence through the floor as the fear returns to society.

If companies can’t operate and people stop going out and spending that’s what causes businesses and jobs to go. Lockdown is the last resort, not taking it and allowing the above to happen is not better for the economy. Controlling the spread is better for the economy even if that does mean short periods of lockdown.
Common sense. The OP , MSM and supporters of lock down are mentally off centre with covid hysteria IMO.

So you think the solution is crack on as normal even if that leads to the slow drying up of the economy? A much better approach

Last edited:
You have completely ignored what I said.

Economists have said that if you don’t control the virus it will fuck he economy. Certain parts of the US have experienced this where things have ground to a halt. Businesses shuttered because they can’t operate due to the number of people ill and consumer confidence through the floor as the fear returns to society.

If companies can’t operate and people stop going out and spending that’s what causes businesses and jobs to go. Lockdown is the last resort, not taking it and allowing the above to happen is not better for the economy. Controlling the spread is better for the economy even if that does mean short periods of lockdown.

So you think the solution is crack on as normal even if that leads to the slow drying up of the economy? A much better approach

About 0.1% of the population had Covid last week according to the ONS. This includes pensioners and others who don’t make up the workforce. Also includes false positives, which, even at 99% reliability, could be responsible for up to 2200 false positive tests a day. Bit of a stretch to suggest that lockdown is better for the economy than no lockdown.

About 0.1% of the population had Covid last week according to the ONS. This includes pensioners and others who don’t make up the workforce. Also includes false positives, which, even at 99% reliability, could be responsible for up to 2200 false positive tests a day. Bit of a stretch to suggest that lockdown is better for the economy than no lockdown.

But we are looking to the future aren’t we. Cases doubling every 7 days.

What percentage do you need before the lines at Nissan etc struggle to operate. You can probably times by 5 to 10 the number of people who need to isolate per positive case. In some scenarios much more.

Let it run rampant it also hammers consumer confidence. Leave pubs open but see how much trade they get if people are seeing 1000 deaths a day on the news. There will always be some hard cases but the vast majority of the public will shun the high street and leisure trade if things become out of control.

But we are looking to the future aren’t we. Cases doubling every 7 days.

What percentage do you need before the lines at Nissan etc struggle to operate. You can probably times by 5 to 10 the number of people who need to isolate per positive case. In some scenarios much more.

Let it run rampant it also hammers consumer confidence. Leave pubs open but see how much trade they get if people are seeing 1000 deaths a day on the news. There will always be some hard cases but the vast majority of the public will shun the high street and leisure trade if things become out of control.

They closed the plant because of one positive test. One. If industry and society keeps reacting like that to one positive test,
I agree, the economy is fucked.
The scientific model which the government is following has many, many critics. It’s looking more and more likely that we’re going the wrong way with this.
We’re processing 220,000 tests a day, of which an absolute minimum of 2200 are going to be false positives. Thats at 99% reliability. PHE reckons the tests are 95-99% accurate. So with daily cases of around 3200.....
The doomsday scenario peddled by Ferguson and imperial college isn’t standing up to scrutiny.
If you’re under pensionable age the chances of dying from Covid are minuscule. Over the age and slightly worse but still extremely unlikely.
The media and countless gutless politicians are feeding the frenzy when the reality is somewhat different.

I know of many people who already today have broken to rules relating to the childcare stuff and visiting family. People aren't buying into these half arsed pathetic rules.

When Dominic broke the rules and went to Durham for childcare, Boris said he was doing what was best for his children and following the instincts of every father. If people are still asking family members to look after their children, that's totally fine because all they are doing is what is best for their children and following their parental instincts.

When Dominic broke the rules and went to Durham for childcare, Boris said he was doing what was best for his children and following the instincts of every father. If people are still asking family members to look after their children, that's totally fine because all they are doing is what is best for their children and following their parental instincts.
It's fine by me as well and I know loads who broke the rules today with this. Should be left to the parents to decide what they feel is best for their kid(s) in this example. The rules are a complete waste of time

Last edited:
I'm just utterly bemused at all the contradictions with these new "rules"

I mean the car sharing one is utterly hideous
What’s the car sharing one? I assume it’s something mad like I’m now not allowed to share a car to and from work with the 3 people I’ll spend 9 and 15 hour shifts with because they’re not from the same household or spunk bubble.

I’m not even going to look because I’ll just get annoyed.

Bairn has just started 6th form in Durham. Has half of her lessons with her best mate, and gets the bus through to Durham with her. All permissible.

was refused a table in a coffee shop with her mate cos they’re not from the same household yesterday :lol:

Common sense. The OP , MSM and supporters of lock down are mentally off centre with covid hysteria IMO.

A lockdown is just a slight reset for 3 months and it goes again. Protect the vulnerable, triage any cases as well as posssible and let the virus run its cause until we have a vaccine

I think if there is a serious prospect of the virus overwhelming society to the point of NHS & production line collapse it would need to be done; but we’re nowhere near that.
A competent testing, tracking & social distancing system would have prevented this. This is a catastrophic failure of central government... only a few weeks ago everyone was being encouraged to get public transport into their offices and eat out for 50% off their dinner. Our government have encouraged actions which spread the virus and now they are imposing incredibly authoritarian measures to undo the damage they caused.

You're right in that we're nowhere near hospitals being overwhelmed, but there is a point of no return in terms of having no option but to impose a lock down in order to avoid the NHS being swamped.

I reckon we're closer to that point of no return than a lot of people realise. The R rate is almost uniformly above 1 across the country and in some places much higher. Given that we don't have a test and trace system in place to manage it and prevent further outbreaks, then it's reasonable to say we have lost control of this virus and we do not have the infrastructure in place to rein it in. We're entering that point where the virus is beginning to spread rapidly so with the R rate firmly above one you can see where this is going in the next few weeks unless something is put in place other than what we have at the moment.

So, we're left with restrictions being necessary, and the only question is do we take a gamble and hope we can avert the probable when the available data and infrastructure suggests we can't, or do we recognise the point of no return much earlier than we did last time (it is widely believed among scientists that the two weeks before lock down in March were absolutely crucial and resulted in thousands more people losing their lives).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back