Football Manager 2020

You ungrateful arseholes need to sort yourselves out! Season 2 with the lads and after winning League One, I've stumbled across perfection. Striving to play a swashbuckling, direct and violent formation in the mould of Atalanta, I decided to play a 3-4-1-2 formation with wing backs. A triumvirate of loan players attacking (Gomes, Gouiri and Parrott) and solid loans like Willy Saliba and Neco Williams to solidify the defence.

After 22 games of the season we had won 19, drawn 3. We're smashing everyone in sight until we go away to 3rd place Brighton. Lose the game 1-0 to a late goal. Some little social media shithouse, probably one of you lot on the SMB calls me out for "getting my tactics wrong in the last match". Ungrateful twat. Average attendance is only 34,000 as well! Where are you all? You'll never see better football than this again. 11 straight wins and averaging 3 goals a game is still not enough for some of you.
If you havent already, set your middle centre back to a libero on attack duty (saliba probably a good choice) and watch your team become unbeatable. It reduces the space between midfield and defence, the libero will act more like a deep lying playmaker and sit in the gap and either switch play to one of your wingers or take long range shots. I found that the attacking triangle makes it hard for teams to play out so they tend to go longer looking for an advanced midfielder or forward. The libero will cut out those long balls so you keep possession much easier. I took sunderland to the champions league in 3 seasons using something similar to you then repeated it with Plymouth in 5 seasons. 3 at the back breaks the game.

If you havent already, set your middle centre back to a libero on attack duty (saliba probably a good choice) and watch your team become unbeatable. It reduces the space between midfield and defence, the libero will act more like a deep lying playmaker and sit in the gap and either switch play to one of your wingers or take long range shots. I found that the attacking triangle makes it hard for teams to play out so they tend to go longer looking for an advanced midfielder or forward. The libero will cut out those long balls so you keep possession much easier. I took sunderland to the champions league in 3 seasons using something similar to you then repeated it with Plymouth in 5 seasons. 3 at the back breaks the game.

Well now I feel disappointed. I thought my genius broke the game, not a formation.

2nd season with the lads and I delivered the Championship title after a couple of stumbles.

Logon or register to see this image

I seem to have come up with a formation that has literally broken the game engine though. My team is ruthless, efficient and extremely violent. I seem to be at the extremes for every metric.

We created almost 50% more chances than anyone else in the league.

https://ibb.co/HBPbC4z

Our direct style led us to complete less passes than anyone else in the league.

https://ibb.co/RQQQpsD
Our number of cards was unbelievable too having 135 yellows and 5 reds in 46 games, committing 865 fouls.

Got to be honest that I'm not really enjoying this save though. Club has £35m to spend in the Prem next season but I can't really be arsed carrying on. I much prefer my random saves.

Last edited:
2028 here. Been able to challenge for 1 competition for the last 3 years - picked up a Prem win 2 seasons back, then focussed on the champions league but got knocked out by Barca in the first knockout stage & recovered to 2nd place in the league & win the FA Cup. Managed to lose the League cup twice in a row, by having to play my B team due to more important games 3 days later each time.

This season, 4 points clear even though I'm focussed on the champions league again.
Next season might just be the season where we start to win everything if things go our way.

Last edited:
There's definitely a bit of improvement needed in the interactions in this game mind. Roma approach me for an interview and then all the questions are about me never managing in their country, never managing at their level etc. That might make sense if I'd applied for the job but not when they want me. Same with interviews about players leaving. I transfer list a player and he is sold then the journalist asks a question and every variation of answer is about us being disappointed to lose him, "if a player doesn't want to be here then I won't force him to stay" etc. despite me selling him because he isn't good enough.

There's definitely a bit of improvement needed in the interactions in this game mind. Roma approach me for an interview and then all the questions are about me never managing in their country, never managing at their level etc. That might make sense if I'd applied for the job but not when they want me. Same with interviews about players leaving. I transfer list a player and he is sold then the journalist asks a question and every variation of answer is about us being disappointed to lose him, "if a player doesn't want to be here then I won't force him to stay" etc. despite me selling him because he isn't good enough.
Yeah, all that stuff is a bit crap.
Same questions in the press briefings too, they get really boring very quickly

2nd season with the lads and I delivered the Championship title after a couple of stumbles.

I seem to have come up with a formation that has literally broken the game engine though. My team is ruthless, efficient and extremely violent. I seem to be at the extremes for every metric.

We created almost 50% more chances than anyone else in the league.

https://ibb.co/HBPbC4z

Our direct style led us to complete less passes than anyone else in the league.

https://ibb.co/RQQQpsD
Our number of cards was unbelievable too having 135 yellows and 5 reds in 46 games, committing 865 fouls.

Got to be honest that I'm not really enjoying this save though. Club has £35m to spend in the Prem next season but I can't really be arsed carrying on. I much prefer my random saves.
It’s a piece of piss in England with any club tbh once you get to the prem. I finished 2nd in the prem third season with us, and would have been 1st if I could have beaten Chelsea on final day.

Wonder kids are too abundant so it’s easy to build an incredible team for £35m and I think that even when they are starting out they seem to perform at their top potential level.

Started with the lads . Won div 1 easy enough first season but club ambition is poor just looking for fizzy pop safety . Doing well getting to play offs and breaking even financially with a squad almost entirely under 23 and zero budget

Started with the lads . Won div 1 easy enough first season but club ambition is poor just looking for fizzy pop safety . Doing well getting to play offs and breaking even financially with a squad almost entirely under 23 and zero budget
2028 season just finished (with us of course).
After leading the Prem since week ~5, the sheer number of games killed us having reached the final of the FA, League and Champions League cups. Had something like 8 games in 18 days.

Lost the League cup final, but had a B team out as we had a more important game 2 days later.
Lost the league by 1 point, which hurts a bit
But then won the FA cup and also the Champions League
So a pretty awesome season!

Now time to force a bunch of players out and replace them with better players!

2028 season just finished (with us of course).
After leading the Prem since week ~5, the sheer number of games killed us having reached the final of the FA, League and Champions League cups. Had something like 8 games in 18 days.

Lost the League cup final, but had a B team out as we had a more important game 2 days later.
Lost the league by 1 point, which hurts a bit
But then won the FA cup and also the Champions League
So a pretty awesome season!

Now time to force a bunch of players out and replace them with better players!
You're a ruthless man, these people have families ya knar 😄

Playing in the English League is shite. There's no challenge or sense of real accomplishment. So with that in mind, I'm going to do a final save on this version of the game. A save that I have never done before, but would have been impossible to do before this season.

There are 2 reasons this save couldn't have been done before this season.

1) The Welsh League has only just been restructure and now has a 2nd tier split into the JD Cymru North/South divisions.
2) After 36 years in the English Pyramid, Colwyn Bay decided to return to the Welsh league as they could no longer afford to keep the club afloat otherwise. They move from the Northern premier League West.

This lad is my best player and I've only got 4 in total that are 3 stars or higher, so I've got a job on my hands. Looking at his Bio though, he has scored against Sunderland, which is often the mark of a dreadful footballer.

https://ibb.co/YP5bZnP

I've got the English League system down to level 11, so hopefully that helps me find a few players who will join me. I've only for £1k to spend and £200 on wages. I think my tactic will be to have a good manual scout around the amateur teams and see if I can steal any with the promise of semi pro contracts.

Long term aim will be to get them into the Champions League and have a qualifier at Llanelian Road with a packed house of 2,500 fans cheering me on.

Finally finished season four with Betis.

After three successive sixth place finishes in the league we improved dramatically to finish as runners-up this year. In fact we finished with 88 points which in some season's would have been enough to win the title, unfortunately Barcelona show no signs of slowing down and they finished six points clear of us to win their sixth title in a row.

In terms of silverware I think I mentioned in an earlier post that we won the European Super Cup back in August by thrashing Real Madrid 4-1 in the final. In the Spanish Cup we were unfortunate to be knocked out by Valencia on penalties in the fifth round. We were handed a favourable Champions League group containing Chelsea, Club Brugge and Astana. We won three and drew three of our group games to finish second behind Chelsea who incidentally knocked us out of the competition at the quarter final stage.

Not sure if we can reach the same heights next season, I need to try and sign a world class goalkeeper in the summer.

After winning the champions league with Sunderland, I'm taking a break from that save and I've installed the lower league pack to bring Durham to the top!

cheating and using online advice downloading foramtions, training regimes etcetc
I use tactics that I've downloaded. 15 years worth of game engine changes is a bit much to catch up in one save.
I keep hearing about cheat training regimes, but they don't seem to make much sense.

Cheating - save scumming? Nah, why even bother?

Back