Football Manager 2020

Cheating - save scumming? Nah, why even bother?

Adding yourself as manager of a rich club and buying dud for record breaking deals was the way forward back in the day. Not sure if you can do it now without it being blocked by the board?

cheating and using online advice downloading foramtions, training regimes etcetc
:lol: Havent done any of that and found it a piece of piss. Other years I've been absolutely awful. Sometimes you just get lucky.

This year it clicked for me when I created a formation trying to replicate Chris Wilder's sheff united system. It failed miserably but I kept trying to make little tweaks and ended up finding something seemingly gamebreaking which took me from one win in the first 10 games with us to not losing for the rest of the season, consecutive promotions and finishing 2nd first season in prem winning it the following year. Once you're in the premier league the amount of money you get is so obscene that it becomes far too easy. I can never get into saves abroad though.

Some 2023/24 season for my Dundee Utd side TREBLE WINNERS

After losing the title by a point to Rangers the previous season we got revenge by nicking it by a point this season :) Also beat Hearts 3-0 in the Betfred Cup Final and Livingston 3-2 in the Scottish Cup Final

My side this season down the years FM wonderkid Afonso Sousa has been an inspired signing from FCP for £800k, 16 assists and 6 goals in 26 games :cool:

Got Emerson coming in on a free from Barca and also Chem Campbell who looks like a cracking player (16yr old at start of save 21yr old now has developed nicely) also on a free from Wolves to add more quality

Logon or register to see this image

Playing in the English League is shite. There's no challenge or sense of real accomplishment.

100%. Every save file turns into;

I got promoted to the Premier League, I got given a transfer budget of £100 mil, I finished the season top half, I got given a transfer budget of £200 mil, I won the league, I got given a budget of £300 mil, I won the Champions League. It's a bit like playing The Sims up until he's grown old and died innit.

But if you less play of the less obscure leagues you become inferior to PSG/City/Madrid in the Continental competitions hence why I went with Nashville, the MLS because of it's format which fucks people's heads before you even start playing it makes up for the fact no season is ever the same, it's completely normal to win the League 1 year and finish bottom the next season all because of Superdrafts.

100%. Every save file turns into;

I got promoted to the Premier League, I got given a transfer budget of £100 mil, I finished the season top half, I got given a transfer budget of £200 mil, I won the league, I got given a budget of £300 mil, I won the Champions League. It's a bit like playing The Sims up until he's grown old and died innit.

But if you less play of the less obscure leagues you become inferior to PSG/City/Madrid in the Continental competitions hence why I went with Nashville, the MLS because of it's format which fucks people's heads before you even start playing it makes up for the fact no season is ever the same, it's completely normal to win the League 1 year and finish bottom the next season all because of Superdrafts.
I agree but can never get into foreign saves cos I don’t know the rules or teams etc

I agree but can never get into foreign saves cos I don’t know the rules or teams etc

I enjoyed the Dutch league, the finances aren't great and there's consistent domestic level competition in Ajax/PSV/Feynernoord. Most Dutch clubs have an internal policy of developing within so it brings a different save game to others.

There's a sense of achievement of taking your acadamy products to the CL knockout stages I must admit.

Durham City - End of First Season:
  • Promoted to Northen League one as champions
  • Won the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup
  • Finalist of Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup
  • Quarter Finalists FA Vase
  • Won the Wearside League Challenge Cup with the B Team
Yeah, I have a proper B team, which is wierd - I've just added the league they are in (Wearside League 2nd Division) and I'm hoping to bring them with me as I progress through the leagues - they share facilities, so it should be much better than U23/U18 football for my 2nd string - proper competative football.

I enjoyed the Dutch league, the finances aren't great and there's consistent domestic level competition in Ajax/PSV/Feynernoord. Most Dutch clubs have an internal policy of developing within so it brings a different save game to others.

There's a sense of achievement of taking your acadamy products to the CL knockout stages I must admit.
Best game I ever had was with Crewe when I decided I would only use academy players. It was great following the players from their debut at 16 in league one through to their international debut but I hit a bit of wall in the Premier League. Was finishing 6/7th but struggled to do better than that as the big clubs were just signing the best players in the world whilst I had a bunch of England U19/21s :lol:

Great gesture.
Epic have been doing this for a whie - I think they're trying to build a "critical mass" of customers for their steam-alternative platform. Giving away free games is certainly one way to keep their application installed on PCs.

They've all been oldish games, but still relevant. Its a decent idea, but must be costing them a fortune.

Durham City - End of First Season:
  • Promoted to Northen League one as champions
  • Won the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup
  • Finalist of Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup
  • Quarter Finalists FA Vase
  • Won the Wearside League Challenge Cup with the B Team
Yeah, I have a proper B team, which is wierd - I've just added the league they are in (Wearside League 2nd Division) and I'm hoping to bring them with me as I progress through the leagues - they share facilities, so it should be much better than U23/U18 football for my 2nd string - proper competative football.
How do you get teams that low? Is there a patch or something?

Epic have been doing this for a whie - I think they're trying to build a "critical mass" of customers for their steam-alternative platform. Giving away free games is certainly one way to keep their application installed on PCs.

They already have a critical mass of customers because Epic are the distributors of Fortnite :)

It's just a shift in trend into the more hipster market which basically acts as digital marketing; Last game free was Civ6, probably the most popular RTS game on the market, FM2020, the most popular simulation game on the market, next up is Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 which is an all time classic.

The foreign saves are the best ones. I'll often "scout" a save before I start. I'll set up a game with 7 or 8 different leagues open that I may consider and just browse the teams until I see what I like. If something looks interesting, I'll Google the club as well and see if I can find an affinity. :lol: Probably sounds ridiculous to most but I enjoy the game and don't do the same old tired game every year.

My favourites have been Torino, Hammarby, AZ Alkmaar and this year's epic Vasas.

The Dutch League is one of the better ones. Next season I think I'll look for a Belgian save because I've never played in that league.

I don't find the rules too challenging for Europe, the worst you get is a Scottish style split for the European places or a limit on foreign players.

The americas is where the leagues are a lot more random. That being said, Mexico might be a save on the agenda for me next edition as well.

The foreign saves are the best ones. I'll often "scout" a save before I start. I'll set up a game with 7 or 8 different leagues open that I may consider and just browse the teams until I see what I like. If something looks interesting, I'll Google the club as well and see if I can find an affinity. :lol: Probably sounds ridiculous to most but I enjoy the game and don't do the same old tired game every year.

My favourites have been Torino, Hammarby, AZ Alkmaar and this year's epic Vasas.

The Dutch League is one of the better ones. Next season I think I'll look for a Belgian save because I've never played in that league.

I don't find the rules too challenging for Europe, the worst you get is a Scottish style split for the European places or a limit on foreign players.

The americas is where the leagues are a lot more random. That being said, Mexico might be a save on the agenda for me next edition as well.

I honestly think once you figure out the rules regarding Pick Slots etc the MLS is the best for consistent challenge in MLS. The first picks in the Superdraft is where you get first dibs on the next Landon Donovan regen and will be difference between winning the league that season or not and then you have to consider you're playing 38 games a season plus the cup games and the CONACAF Chamions League where you're so inferior that in real life an American team has never has won so it becomes a game of Poker whether you want to trade your latter draft picks which are usually for squad depth.

Current CONACAF titles by nation is Mexico; 13 everyone else 0, Although a Jamaican team did make it to the quarter-finals in 19/20 season. The closest a yank team has ever won it was 2011 where they lost the final. That's how great the challenge is.

Last edited:

Back