Flowered Up

Had some great songs. It’s on, Phobia, Take it and of course weekender were all really good tunes. Had a lot of influential DJ’s such as Danny Rampling etc do some great remixes also.
Suffered a bit by maybe being overhyped due to the London music press being desperate for a ‘Manchester band’

I have recently just rediscovered these. They were absolutely amazing circa 90/91 although they were slightly before my time. I've been reading up on them and it's a really sad story as the 2 brothers in them (Liam and Joe Maher) both succumbed to heroin addiction and died a few years ago. They were hyped by the music press but by 92 they were already in serious problems with drugs but still managed to make the 13 minutes masterpiece single Weekender.
They were brilliant!! I have whacked that song on here a few times, hoping the Stone Rose's, Happy Mondays, Indie type music heads on here, see the glory in that exceptional song!! ;)

Last edited:
It sure is. On the music beach of shiny, beautiful and bright pebbles of tunes, this song is one of the rare diamonds of perfection you find amongst them all!!
It's been took off Spotify for some reason, it was on last week. Luckily I managed to get The Best Of which includes Weekender on CD from eBay for 3 quid. That's after buying A Life With Brian last week on vinyl from eBay

Saw them at Riverside then went down to Boro next night on their guest list. Summer of 91 I think as I had an A Level next day. Great memories. Support band from Liverpool called The Magic Clock were good too.
Cool. I'd love to have seen them back in the day. There's a live gig from Manchester on YouTube which looks canny mental

Saw them at the Riverside twice. Great nights. Headline bands were usually supposed to come on at 10pm. At one of the gigs they were really late coming on. I later read they had been fighting among themselves and had almost split up before coming on stage. Might dig out the live vhs tape they released.

Last edited:
I remember going down to Volume to buy Weekender on VHS. Got watched so many times that weekend.
I did this n'all
I saw them at Newcastle Riverside and my abiding memory is the insanity that was Barry Mooncult. I have some pictures somewhere, recall a very tight jumpsit (green/blue?) with a gigantic spongy flower thing rund his neck. Surreal. They had a few decent tunes but were probably rushed too quicklyby the hype machine to make some quick money.
I was there.A few sunderland lads I know got on the stage,and were dancing with Barry Mooncult.I would've too,but I was looking after my mate,who was too pissed,and started twatting people.I actually really liked the album.Sunshine,egg rush,it's on,take it.All amazing songs.Its the same with the La's album.Both lead singers hated the production.But I still loved them.Imagine how good they would've been with top production.

Posting this for no other reason other than Flowered Up were f***ing great. I say!
Have you got,a big,pocket!

Last edited:
I did this n'all

I was there.A few sunderland lads I know got on the stage,and were dancing with Barry Mooncult.I would've too,but I was looking after my mate,who was too pissed,and started twatting people.I actually really liked the album.Sunshine,egg rush,it's on,take it.All amazing songs.Its the same with the La's album.Both lead singers hated the production.But I still loved them.Imagine how good they would've been with top production.

I certainly have mate, room for about forty Es ;)

Posting this for no other reason other than Flowered Up were f***ing great. I say!
They were brilliant!! I have whacked that song on here a few times, hoping the Stone Rose's, Happy Mondays, Indie type music heads on here, see the glory in that exceptional song!! ;)

It sure is. On the music beach of shiny, beautiful and bright pebbles of tunes, this song is one of the rare diamonds of perfection you find amongst them all!!
It reminds me of Wembley 92.Sure it must have been brought out about then,cos me and my mates couldn't stop talking about how good it was.It was mindblowing how good it was
Edit - soz just realised it was Northside. :oops:

But this was a crackin tune

Ah bugger - didn't end well for this lad either. Wish I'd cheered more now, they really didn't go down well :(
Northsides guitar sound was brilliant

Last edited:
Had some great songs. It’s on, Phobia, Take it and of course weekender were all really good tunes. Had a lot of influential DJ’s such as Danny Rampling etc do some great remixes also.
Suffered a bit by maybe being overhyped due to the London music press being desperate for a ‘Manchester band’
Well put !
That’s how I saw it at the time, pushed and hyped cos London thought it had to have its own Mondays
They were ok but not a patch on the real thing (IMO obviously)

Back