Flowered Up

I have recently just rediscovered these. They were absolutely amazing circa 90/91 although they were slightly before my time. I've been reading up on them and it's a really sad story as the 2 brothers in them (Liam and Joe Maher) both succumbed to heroin addiction and died a few years ago. They were hyped by the music press but by 92 they were already in serious problems with drugs but still managed to make the 13 minutes masterpiece single Weekender.

I remember going down to Volume to buy Weekender on VHS. Got watched so many times that weekend.
Aye I had it when it came out but I lent it out a few weeks later and never got it back :evil: . Steve Lamaq played it on 6music a few weeks ago and I'd forgotten how f***ing brilliant it was

I have recently just rediscovered these. They were absolutely amazing circa 90/91 although they were slightly before my time. I've been reading up on them and it's a really sad story as the 2 brothers in them (Liam and Joe Maher) both succumbed to heroin addiction and died a few years ago. They were hyped by the music press but by 92 they were already in serious problems with drugs but still managed to make the 13 minutes masterpiece single Weekender.
was essential viewing back in the day when returning from clubs at 10am ripped off your tits

Are you sure they're dead? We saw them at a Shiine weekender in Minehead about 6 years ago? They were absolute dogshite and got the right hump with the crowd, shame because they did have a few cracking singles. @butcher

Mind if they were dead it explains how they were so shite.

Are you sure they're dead? We saw them at a Shiine weekender in Minehead about 6 years ago? They were absolute dogshite and got the right hump with the crowd, shame because they did have a few cracking singles. @butcher

Mind if they were dead it explains how they were so shite.
Aye. According to their wiki page Liam died about 2009 and Joe about 2012. They made a couple of attempts to reform in the late 90's/mid 00's but they were too fucked up

Aye. According to their wiki page Liam died about 2009 and Joe about 2012. They made a couple of attempts to reform in the late 90's/mid 00's but they were too fucked up

Edit - soz just realised it was Northside. :oops:

But this was a crackin tune

Ah bugger - didn't end well for this lad either. Wish I'd cheered more now, they really didn't go down well :(

Last edited:
Had never heard of them, but there’s a guitar bit on there sounds very familiar. Maybe it’s just a Mondays tune similar or something?

Ah bugger - didn't end well for this lad either. Wish I'd cheered more now, they really didn't go down well :(

Speaking of Northside, I saw them at Elland Road on a bill that included the Monday’s, The Farm, The La’s and Stereo MCs.

Will be about 30 years ago now.

I was there as well - remember a bloke climbed up the floodlight?

He did. I think it was when the Mondays were on cos I have a memory of Shaun Ryder saying ‘mad raver, please come down from the floodlight’ though my mind may be playing tricks. Someone on stage certainly said that.

I also remember not being able to get a drink inside the ground and The La’s being shite :lol:

I saw them at Newcastle Riverside and my abiding memory is the insanity that was Barry Mooncult. I have some pictures somewhere, recall a very tight jumpsit (green/blue?) with a gigantic spongy flower thing rund his neck. Surreal. They had a few decent tunes but were probably rushed too quicklyby the hype machine to make some quick money.

I saw them at Newcastle Riverside and my abiding memory is the insanity that was Barry Mooncult. I have some pictures somewhere, recall a very tight jumpsit (green/blue?) with a gigantic spongy flower thing rund his neck. Surreal. They had a few decent tunes but were probably rushed too quicklyby the hype machine to make some quick money.
I read an interview Liam did for one of their reformations and he said that totally signed for the wrong label (London) and when the album came out it was too polished and lost the urgency that made them what they were. They were dropped not long after. They did Weekender the following year on their old label Heavenly

He did. I think it was when the Mondays were on cos I have a memory of Shaun Ryder saying ‘mad raver, please come down from the floodlight’ though my mind may be playing tricks. Someone on stage certainly said that.

I also remember not being able to get a drink inside the ground and The La’s being shite :lol:

I saw The La's twice about 8 months apart on different tours. They did the exact same set both gigs, exactly the same order. I might as well have been at the same gig twice.
I read an interview Liam did for one of their reformations and he said that totally signed for the wrong label (London) and when the album came out it was too polished and lost the urgency that made them what they were. They were dropped not long after. They did Weekender the following year on their old label Heavenly

Yeah, the album didn't work. It's On and Weekender were brilliant, brilliant singles.

Back