Fitting YJB back in?

rentaghost

Striker
Assuming he is fit enough to play and not to keep wicket. Harmison says that’s the most likely scenario. If so is it:

1) Sorry Johnny you will have to wait your turn
2) Drop one of 3-6 for him
3) Do something funky like Johnny or Stokes opening the batting
4) Any other suggestions?

Probably 1 or 3 for me

It’s the dropped catches more than the low scores that are illuminating in my view, anyone can get a good/unplayable delivery but when you’re spilling regulation catches in the slips it reveals a lack of confidence and suggests a scrambled brain and that your timing is out. It spelled the end for Malan first time round and he came back again and has established himself as world class in the white ball stuff so wouldn’t say it’s the end for Crawley necessarily. I admire the faith they’ve shown in him, it’s a massive reason why we’ve done so well because it’s given the likes of Brook the confidence and freedom to go out and do what he’s done but with Jonny coming back it’s the ideal time to take Crawley out of the firing line. I’d be telling the ground staff to prepare 5 roads and Jonny to go out in one day mode and splatter the Aussie attack everywhere. We’ve taken 20 wickets every game under Stokes and McCullum and with the bowling options we should have no reason to think we can’t do that even if they are flat decks.
Has to play. And that’s from me. His biggest critic historically

Either he or Stokes opens, or he replaces Foakes
Can’t replace Foakes, be massively harsh and send out completely the wrong message imo. He’ll be very handy coming in at 7

Last edited:
It’s the dropped catches more than the low scores that are illuminating in my view, anyone can get a good/unplayable delivery but when you’re spilling regulation catches in the slips it reveals a lack of confidence and suggests a scrambled brain and that your timing is out. It spelled the end for Malan first time round and he came back again and has established himself as world class in the white ball stuff so wouldn’t say it’s the end for Crawley necessarily. I admire the faith they’ve shown in him, it’s a massive reason why we’ve done so well because it’s given the likes of Brook the confidence and freedom to go out and do what he’s done but with Jonny coming back it’s the ideal time to take Crawley out of the firing line. I’d be telling the ground staff to prepare 5 roads and Jonny to go out in one day mode and splatter the Aussie attack everywhere. We’ve taken 20 wickets every game under Stokes and McCullum and with the bowling options we should have no reason to think we can’t do that even if they are flat decks.

Can’t replace Foakes, be massively harsh and send out completely the wrong message imo. He’ll be very handy coming in at 7
Bairstow is better than foakes though

Assuming he is fit enough to play and not to keep wicket. Harmison says that’s the most likely scenario. If so is it:

1) Sorry Johnny you will have to wait your turn
2) Drop one of 3-6 for him
3) Do something funky like Johnny or Stokes opening the batting
4) Any other suggestions?

Probably 1 or 3 for me

You can probably guess what I am going to say mate :D

Drop Crawley, Bairstow in at 5, Brook at 4 and open with Root.

Imo he is easily the best technically to cope with it???

It should be obvious with Crawley going out but we are in an era of hunches and gut decisions

It’s a good position to be in
First time in a long time where we're trying to shoehorn a very good player into the side but with no obvious vacancies for him to fill.

First time in a long time where we're trying to shoehorn a very good player into the side but with no obvious vacancies for him to fill.
Agreed. Then we get onto the bowling of wood and Jofra are available with stone , Potts , Overton, Woakes and Saq Mahmood

On top of jimmy, broady and Robinson

Bloody hell good luck baz and stokesy working out the team

Agreed. Then we get onto the bowling of wood and Jofra are available with stone , Potts , Overton, Woakes and Saq Mahmood

On top of jimmy, broady and Robinson

Bloody hell good luck baz and stokesy working out the team
Isn't it nice to have though after the fears about losing Jimmy and Broady, after juggling between Jonny and Jos behind the stumps, who's gonna score runs if Root gets out etc :lol:

I honestly couldn't pick our best XI. Fuck knows how Baz and Stokes will!

Isn't it nice to have though after the fears about losing Jimmy and Broady, after juggling between Jonny and Jos behind the stumps, who's gonna score runs if Root gets out etc :lol:

Really is great how things may come into play just in time for the Aussies who appear to have a canny few problems with their line up

Going to be a good summer

Aye that’s the positive, good problems to have

Back