First car - how much to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatty

Striker
So I'm a geriatric in learner driver terms (35) but am finally behind the wheel and am progressing well. In preparation for when I pass, I've been looking at cars at around 2003-2006 with not too many miles (under 100k). I've seen a couple of nice Ford Fiestas that fit into this category for around £700-£1k, and was planning on spending around that much and then possibly upgrading in 2-3 years after I've (hopefully) built up some no claims. However my dad has kindly offered to lend me the money so I don't have to pay interest on a personal loan or credit card, and has recommended spending a bit more (maybe around £2-2.5k) as there should be less chance of things going wrong - you get what you pay for kind of thing. I've checked and it doesn't seem to affect my potential insurance costs (if anything the newer, more expensive ones are very slightly cheaper to Insure)

What's the opinion of people on here? What should I be looking out for or trying to avoid?

It's often cheaper to buy a scrapper and when owt gans wrong get rid and buy another scrapper.

Personally I'd say get the newest you can afford maybe 1 or 2 year old.

So I'm a geriatric in learner driver terms (35) but am finally behind the wheel and am progressing well. In preparation for when I pass, I've been looking at cars at around 2003-2006 with not too many miles (under 100k). I've seen a couple of nice Ford Fiestas that fit into this category for around £700-£1k, and was planning on spending around that much and then possibly upgrading in 2-3 years after I've (hopefully) built up some no claims. However my dad has kindly offered to lend me the money so I don't have to pay interest on a personal loan or credit card, and has recommended spending a bit more (maybe around £2-2.5k) as there should be less chance of things going wrong - you get what you pay for kind of thing. I've checked and it doesn't seem to affect my potential insurance costs (if anything the newer, more expensive ones are very slightly cheaper to Insure)

What's the opinion of people on here? What should I be looking out for or trying to avoid?

Buy an old Merc or Beama for a few k, more for ya dosh....

Still learning?
Then to me it's a no-brainer.
Get a run-around for the £700 you mentioned, and then if you any minor bumps on it - then it's not the end of the world.
As long as it's got a long MOT on it, and mechanically sound, it will do you to learn in.
Pointless paying out big money for a nearly new motor IMO. After passing your test, and have got your driving skills up to speed (excuse the pun) - then think about upgrading.
Should be cheaper to insure too.

500 quid. When you pass, youre inevitably gonna rag the tits off it. Get 12 months out of a banger and then look to get something better. Micras are sturdy and good for your money. Stay clear of Fiat's.

I'm your age and passed when I was 32. I drove a 15 year old Corsa my sister gave me (it was that good) for my first year. Only major incident I had in it was misjudging getting it in the yard, which put a big scrape and a dent down the side of it. Because the car was a shitter anyway I just pushed the dent out and put up with the scrape. I was glad to be shot of it when the year was up, but I'd have rather had that mishap in that car than the one I've got now.

Son passed 3 years ago and I bought him a 59 Reg car for £2300. First car, small engine, older car to build up his no claims. 3 years later, with an extra 50k on the clock the 59 reg is sold, he's now got a 65 reg astra, cost £6500 and he has 3 years no claims, so insurance is dropping all the time. Get a cheap run around, unless you intend driving miles and need a trustworthy car and build the no claims up.

Still learning?
Get a run-around for the £700 you mentioned, and then if you any minor bumps on it - then it's not the end of the world.
As long as it's got a long MOT on it, and mechanically sound, it will do you to learn in.
Pointless paying out big money for a nearly new motor IMO. After passing your test, and have got your driving skills up to speed (excuse the pun) - then think about upgrading.
I'm learning in my wife's car (and instructor's, obviously). I'm just looking for what I'll buy when I pass.

Son passed 3 years ago and I bought him a 59 Reg car for £2300. First car, small engine, older car to build up his no claims. 3 years later, with an extra 50k on the clock the 59 reg is sold, he's now got a 65 reg astra, cost £6500 and he has 3 years no claims, so insurance is dropping all the time. Get a cheap run around, unless you intend driving miles and need a trustworthy car and build the no claims up.

Aye, I won't need to drive it a lot unless something changes with work, but even then it'd still be driven only fairly locally. If we go anywhere as a family we'd more than likely take the 'family' car we have now.

I'm learning in my wife's car (and instructor's, obviously). I'm just looking for what I'll buy when I pass.

Aye, I won't need to drive it a lot unless something changes with work, but even then it'd still be driven only fairly locally. If we go anywhere as a family we'd more than likely take the 'family' car we have now.

You've answered the question then - go cheap but mechanically sound until your insurance is cheaper

I've just passed my test. I'd definitely buy the cheaper one at first, it's quite a steep learning curve once you're on the road by yourself so I'd buy one that you wouldn't mind getting a couple of bumps, also worth buying a common car as if things go wrong parts etc will be cheaper - Fiat 500/Nissan Micra/Ford Fiesta etc.

Insurance companies know that ya gonna rag an old banger all over. Son was paying £2,200 insurance for a £450 punto:lol:

Got wrote off non fault.

So armed with a grand (from insurance payout)
He went to Bristol st motors and signed for a 2 year old limited edition corsa, the insurance was £950!!!!
Ended up costing him £80 more a month for the car as the saving on the insurance off set it. Obvs his £1000 and the fact his insurance would drop after a year comes into the equation but the fact the car was worth 4 times the amount and the insurance dropped baffled me. But he reckons the insurance companies know you will look after a decent car.

Cheers everyone.

I can understand my dad's advice - I don't want to be forking out more than the car is worth because things are always going wrong with it, but having said that isn't that the risk with an older motor anyway, whether it's 5 years old or 15 years old? Isn't how it's been looked after more of an indicator than the age?

I would feel more comfortable in an older, cheaper one for a little while just til I'm confident on my own, like others have said, if you scrape it it's not too big a deal, but if there is genuinely a better reason to go for a newer (2010-2012) one then maybe I'll do that.

Right pain in the arse this whole driving thing when you know f*ck all about cars!

I'd stick with plan one,odds are you'll scrape or bump it and its bad enough it happen without it being a lovely car.Few years time spend some more

Cheers everyone.

I can understand my dad's advice - I don't want to be forking out more than the car is worth because things are always going wrong with it, but having said that isn't that the risk with an older motor anyway, whether it's 5 years old or 15 years old? Isn't how it's been looked after more of an indicator than the age?

I would feel more comfortable in an older, cheaper one for a little while just til I'm confident on my own, like others have said, if you scrape it it's not too big a deal, but if there is genuinely a better reason to go for a newer (2010-2012) one then maybe I'll do that.

Right pain in the arse this whole driving thing when you know f*ck all about cars!
Fiesta clio corsa micra are cheap as owt to fix and generally are reliable

...But he reckons the insurance companies know you will look after a decent car.
I've heard that like. Think it cost me £1200 to third-party insure that 15 year old, 1litre Corsa for the first year. It was worth £200 on a good day. :lol:

Albeit I'd been driving a year and had a years no claims when I did change, it cost about £400 less to insure a newer, faster car, fully comp.

Deffo worth the OP using comparison sites to check if there's much difference there.

Still learning?
This
I think statistically about 50% of new male drivers write one off in the first 12 months.. Granted they are usually less mature and the low total loss cost of the vehicle figures but still 50% do significant damage to a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back