Final Fantasy XVI

jacko100

Striker
State of play on this last night, coming out in June. Think this could finally be a FF game for me. Could never really get into the turn based thing. This seems more like a "normal" action RPG

Haven't really enjoyed one since FFXII, the whole XIII was awful, i downloaded XIV on the PS4 and got to about level 30, wasn't really enamoured with it. XV was pap.
I did think FFXII remake was great but more due to the nostalgia, i didn't hate the combat but thought it got a bit too chaotic, especially in boss fights with lots going on at once.

Haven't bought a PS5 cause I'm finishing off some exams, will get one for this probably.

Finally enough losing the turn based thing makes me struggle to enjoy FF these days, if was my favourite franchise too.
I thought the same. I was reading why they moved away from it which made a bit of sense.

It’s a shame as the people that grew up with it probably aren’t as interested in the new games because of the change.

I thought the same. I was reading why they moved away from it which made a bit of sense.

It’s a shame as the people that grew up with it probably aren’t as interested in the new games because of the change.

I still prefer turn based mind but not so much that i will put me off playing.

The game is basically a Final Fantasy themed Devil May Cry.
It's basically the same development team as 14 but they hired the guy who created the combat system for Devil May Cry.

14 is now the most successful game of the franchise so they clearly know what they're doing on, but it has suffered of late as all the SquareEnix budget went into 16

I still prefer turn based mind but not so much that i will put me off playing.
I just think that the change itself wasn’t good enough to justify doing. Somehow you’re doing more but it somehow seemed more boring.
The game is basically a Final Fantasy themed Devil May Cry.
It's basically the same development team as 14 but they hired the guy who created the combat system for Devil May Cry.

14 is now the most successful game of the franchise so they clearly know what they're doing on, but it has suffered of late as all the SquareEnix budget went into 16
14 was a mess on release but they turned it around at least.

I don’t mind mmorpgs but couldn’t get into 14 at all.

Last edited:
FFX was the best system. Feel like there is still a market for it as well as plenty popular turn based games out there.

I probably only enjoyed FF7R due to the context, rather than the gameplay style.

14 was a mess on release but they turned it around at least.

I don’t mind mmorpgs but couldn’t get into 14 at all.

14 was so bad they had to re-release it, it's now the 2nd most successful MMO of all time

About 80% of the game is single player too. All the MMO stuff you now have the option to play with AI characters. When 16 is done the team will go back to 14 and push the single player element hard, it's almost guaranteed.

14 was so bad they had to re-release it, it's now the 2nd most successful MMO of all time

About 80% of the game is single player too. All the MMO stuff you now have the option to play with AI characters. When 16 is done the team will go back to 14 and push the single player element hard, it's almost guaranteed.
Yeah I remember the disaster at the time, didn’t expect them to take the action they did.

They needed to trim down the skill bars on it for me, far too many keybinds. I just could t be bothered with it.

Yeah I remember the disaster at the time, didn’t expect them to take the action they did.

They needed to trim down the skill bars on it for me, far too many keybinds. I just could t be bothered with it.

I had the "joy" of playing the original FF14 beta tests - it was beyond horrendously bad and the then-dev team ignored all the feedback given about things like multi level maps (Uldah) being impossible to process, mob levels being bizarre... happily plinking away at level 5 plague rats and suddenly you're in the middle of level 50 stuff eating dirt and general playability. I did buy an original copy of 14 (actually have it signed by a very bemused Yoshi-P and Soken) but it didn't improve much at release.

What they did in terms of turning it around into 2.0 and rebooting was an incredible achievement, but it's not a game I particularly love - apart from some of the music because Soken is absolutely epic at what he does, and I ended up drifting back to FFXI in terms of MMORPGs - but no doubt I'll mess around with 16 at some point - my husband's taken the release week off work to play it.

I had the "joy" of playing the original FF14 beta tests - it was beyond horrendously bad and the then-dev team ignored all the feedback given about things like multi level maps (Uldah) being impossible to process, mob levels being bizarre... happily plinking away at level 5 plague rats and suddenly you're in the middle of level 50 stuff eating dirt and general playability. I did buy an original copy of 14 (actually have it signed by a very bemused Yoshi-P and Soken) but it didn't improve much at release.

What they did in terms of turning it around into 2.0 and rebooting was an incredible achievement, but it's not a game I particularly love - apart from some of the music because Soken is absolutely epic at what he does, and I ended up drifting back to FFXI in terms of MMORPGs - but no doubt I'll mess around with 16 at some point - my husband's taken the release week off work to play it.

FF14 was done by Nobuo Uemastu until Shadowbringers expansion - He's known for being the guy doing the music for FF7-10 and 10-2
But he got ill and Soken took over. And he's unleashed some bangers alright.

His FF8 remixes and his Shadowbringers stuff is the best I've ever heard.

His quality in music went down in Endwalker due to him being drafted to 16 but his latest is a serious banger

Last edited:
Played the demo for this and I like what it has to offer.

Still doesn’t really feel like FF to me, but it’s more engaging than anything they’ve put out since FFX imo, other than the FF7R

I haven’t played any of them for years think the last one I did was 13 bought 15 but it seemed a bit meh for me.

Was a bit cold on this and haven’t seen much (through choice tbh) so downloaded the demo and just finished it this morning.

Wow, doesn’t seem like a Final Fantasy game at all, which is likely a good thing because the combat and gameplay is very easy to pick up and likely been done to appeal to a broader range.

Long story short I’ve just preordered my first game since Fable 3 on Xbox 360

Exactly the same boat as the two previous posters. Downloaded the demo having never played a FF game before and wow!

Pre-ordered for next Thursday!

Exactly the same boat as the two previous posters. Downloaded the demo having never played a FF game before and wow!

Pre-ordered for next Thursday!
It’s not a traditional FF RPG, combat is a lot like Devil May Cry which is a good thing because I love that kind of combat.
But if nothing else the story had me hooked and graphically it’s gorgeous.

It’s not a traditional FF RPG, combat is a lot like Devil May Cry which is a good thing because I love that kind of combat.
But if nothing else the story had me hooked and graphically it’s gorgeous.
Yeah, my understanding (which may be totally wrong) of previous FF games is that it's turn-based combat. This is not like that at all. I read they got the person onboard responsible for DMC combat and that comes through in spades.

I finished it in two sittings. I knew the story was good as I could remember the names of all the protagonists straightaway. Thoroughly recommend the demo to anyone sitting on the fence.

Back