Films that slipped through the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awkward but...
I went to see one about some Paras caught in a minefield, Kabaldi or summit it was called.
Great film and made even more special by only having 1 showing in Pools and the place was full of old Paras wearing their berets and badges on the blazers.

Slightly off thread,
I worked for a company called Parkfield communications and entertainment in London in 1990. They had the UK distribution rights for a film that not many people had heard of or watched. The company went bust and we all lost our jobs. Weeks later the film got re released and it went massive. If the film had been pushed when the company was trading under its own management and not the administrator, we might not have been made redundant. The film was The Blues Brothers and they held the rights to the film and the soundtrack

For whatever reason aren't that well known but turn out to be quite good. I'll start you off with Dark City - decent sci fi from 1998, probably got overlooked due to the matrix http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929/

The Man From Earth's another canny 'en. Any other recommendations?

My first thought on seeing the thread title was Dark City :eek:

Now I'm convinced the scary baldy hat men are messing with my brain.

The Prestige,not my type of film but loved it

Even more under the radar is The Illusionist which came out at the same time, was also about a magician and never gets a mention despite being really good

One of Tim Burton's best, if not his best.

His best IMHO is Ed Wood, which also slipped through the net a bit

Beginners with Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer as his gay Dad with cancer. Lovely film, great performances - and a sweet dog. Plummer won the supporting oscar for this and deservedly so.

Oh, and Studio Ghibli's "Spirited Away" is a must watch.

You need to watch that in a double bill, starting with Plan 9 From Outer Space. Class.

Lost count of the number of times I've told this story but...

As a huge fan of plan 9 I got tickets to see a double bill of his other films: Bride of the Monster and Jailbait

The first was very much in Plan 9 territory, featuring Bela Lugosi and a giant killer octopus. The octopus was stolen from a big studio effects department - as in they broke in overnight and burgled the special effects building. Unfortunately they forgot to steal the motor that worked the octopus so in the film you can plainly see its victims moving its tentacles to help it attack them.

Jailbait was a cautionary tale about 50s youth delinquency. The final scene was meant to be someone being shot and falling into a swimming pool. The actor unfortunately stood in the wrong place and fell down a few feet from the edge of the pool. But no retakes - the actor can be seen looking up, reacting to someone behind the camera, and rolling into the pool to die...

Obviously both films got standing ovations

I didn't want to see the new Jurassic film...so the wife fucked off and went to see it herself!
It must have been quite a thing as she came back walking like John Wayne and speaking in a Jamaican patois.

My first thought on seeing the thread title was Dark City :eek:

Now I'm convinced the scary baldy hat men are messing with my brain.
Even more under the radar is The Illusionist which came out at the same time, was also about a magician and never gets a mention despite being really good

His best IMHO is Ed Wood, which also slipped through the net a bit
Yeah,tbh i think i'm confusing the two but i've seen both and they are both great

Clerks and Clerks 2 are goofy yank films for clever people

Lost count of the number of times I've told this story but...

As a huge fan of plan 9 I got tickets to see a double bill of his other films: Bride of the Monster and Jailbait

The first was very much in Plan 9 territory, featuring Bela Lugosi and a giant killer octopus. The octopus was stolen from a big studio effects department - as in they broke in overnight and burgled the special effects building. Unfortunately they forgot to steal the motor that worked the octopus so in the film you can plainly see its victims moving its tentacles to help it attack them.

Jailbait was a cautionary tale about 50s youth delinquency. The final scene was meant to be someone being shot and falling into a swimming pool. The actor unfortunately stood in the wrong place and fell down a few feet from the edge of the pool. But no retakes - the actor can be seen looking up, reacting to someone behind the camera, and rolling into the pool to die...

Obviously both films got standing ovations
I've only ever seen it once but I vaguely remember that being in Ed Wood as well :lol:

Primer
Red State (another Kevin Smith)
Office Space
Also throwing this out there: Broken Flowers with Bill Murray

saw that for the first time a year or two ago, think I must be approaching double figures now. perfect lazy sunday film.

Awkward but...
I went to see one about some Paras caught in a minefield, Kabaldi or summit it was called.
Great film and made even more special by only having 1 showing in Pools and the place was full of old Paras wearing their berets and badges on the blazers.
Great movie but not for the squeamish.

Animal Kingdom - another Australian film
Brutal.

Low budget English movie Skeletons totally gripped me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aussie film called 'Kenny' is awesome too, about a guy who has a portaloo business

Logon or register to see this image

I've been racking my brains trying to think of that film... "Kenny" is superb - you can't help but fall in love with the lad :)

And just to switch Genre completely - Irreversible (2002) is a brutal masterpiece of a film. Had me thinking about it for days after I watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back