Fewmin

Tbf i had exactly the same issue at the weekend but the lad serving actually invited me in through the pub anyway :confused: but I politely declined and insisted i’d just have a pint at the front of their pub...

one of the rare bits of pleasant customer service i’ve had off previously furloughed employees.

Last edited:
Some of the "rules" are absolutely pathetic tbh. Was in a pub at weekend with 3 mates. Sat outside on a bench, nearest bench was about 5 yards away so we were in our own little bullshit "bubble". One of the lads was standing at our bench instead of sat down, wasn't moving about or fuck all, got a bollocking and told to sit down. Like being back at school man ffs.
Never got this sit down rule anyway, what's the difference if you're stood up or sat down. It's a load of bollocks that was just plucked out of thin air. Bit like the substantial meal nonsense.

Last edited:
"The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material"

""In terms of wearing a mask, our advice is clear: that wearing a mask if you don't have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all, so we do not advise that"

You’re worse than @Keawyeds

He is.
I'd have remembered my mask. :lol:
"The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material"

""In terms of wearing a mask, our advice is clear: that wearing a mask if you don't have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all, so we do not advise that"

And where in America did you pull that bum nugget from?

Why on earth would he say drug store?! Weird...
I've checked the article. That was March 2020 and he didn't say that drug store bit.
That line was from Fauci I believe.

I think that the poster was trying to illustrate the way the top medical advisers have altered their stances to mask wearing.

Given we were desperate for PPE for front line workers back then it's not surprising they might not have been keen for the rest of the population to start wearing masks. It's noticeable that once PPE supplies improved the mask advice started changing.
I think that was definitely part of early decision making process.
Then there was evidence of reduced droplet spread from masks which influenced the change.
The face covering thing I'm not convinced of. I understand the idea but there's small scale studies that suggested certain coverings increased the distance of droplet spread. It's always going to be difficult to have any decent studies when "face covering" isn't a definite in terms of materials and there's clear guidelines and ISO's for medical masks.
Other countries have issued additional guidance and mandate surgical/medical masks instead of face coverings whilst we have kept the face covering guidance, which is a bit iffy from a scientific perspective.

Given we were desperate for PPE for front line workers back then it's not surprising they might not have been keen for the rest of the population to start wearing masks. It's noticeable that once PPE supplies improved the mask advice started changing.
Did u read Fauci’s quote? It’s nonsense to suggest It was because of PPE shortages. The only thing that should have changed his / Whitty et al stance would be a randomised controlled trial demonstrating the opposite.

Did u read Fauci’s quote? It’s nonsense to suggest It was because of PPE shortages. The only thing that should have changed his / Whitty et al stance would be a randomised controlled trial demonstrating the opposite.

Your original post contained neither the source or the date so quite frankly it was irrelevant to my post.

Secondly, having googled the quote I came up with this:

Fact check: Missing context in claim about emails, Fauci's position on masks

So given the date and the context my theory still holds water whereas your desire for conspiracy remains exactly that.

Your original post contained neither the source or the date so quite frankly it was irrelevant to my post.

Secondly, having googled the quote I came up with this:

Fact check: Missing context in claim about emails, Fauci's position on masks

So given the date and the context my theory still holds water whereas your desire for conspiracy remains exactly that.
U can 'missing context' as much as u like. To suggest, as u did, that leading scientists 'might not be keen' on mask wearing due to PPE shortages is nonsense; on stilts.

Out for an evening cycle with toddler in tow.

Come across local watering hole which has play area for children - all outdoors with no orders made via an app and no need to step inside as the play area is accessible through a gate.

Problem - forgot my mask didn't I.

Not to worry says I - I needn't go inside at all and I can order a drink straight away using the app, have a swifty and back on the bike to go home.

Not so says the bar staff - you need a mask even if outside whilst drinking (??).

Not to worry says I - surely you have a spare for customers who have innocently forgotten theirs. After all you wouldn't wish to turn away business when there is such a simple remedy would you? No dice - establishment has no spares and tells me I cannot come in.

Back on bike.

Cheers unnamed pub - son's crying.
Name and shame..........

Back