Female Commentators the Norm for all games now?

No, I don't believe I have. I stated my opinion on the first post of the thread. You saying it's hardly an opinion doesn't make it not an opinion does it?

Care to explain how my opinion isn't actually my opinion?

If a new women commentor was announced who you had never heard of before?

What would you think?

Would you wait to hear her talk or have a negative view on her straightway?

If a new women commentor was announced who you had never heard of before?

What would you think?

Would you wait to hear her talk or have a negative view on her straightway?

I'd be interested to know what the selection process was based on the fact this person was unheard of - what's this person's links to the game? What's is this person's background and credentials?

I suppose like any other job in any other industry.

I can kind of see what you're getting at, but to counter it, or atleast try and further explain what I'm getting at - when it was announced Sangakkara was going to do some commentary, people pretty much knew what to expect considering he speaks very well when interviewed, his record is phenomenal and his name goes before him. However if a complete unknown got given a gig, there'd be much more wonderment about what to expect. From all sides.

I'd be interested to know what the selection process was based on the fact this person was unheard of - what's this person's links to the game? What's is this person's background and credentials?

I suppose like any other job in any other industry.

I can kind of see what you're getting at, but to counter it, or atleast try and further explain what I'm getting at - when it was announced Sangakkara was going to do some commentary, people pretty much knew what to expect considering he speaks very well when interviewed, his record is phenomenal and his name goes before him. However if a complete unknown got given a gig, there'd be much more wonderment about what to expect. From all sides.

You know what I am getting at and my point is you said all women you have heard commenting on cricket have been bad.

No disrespect intended but don’t think your opinion is valid on the subject.

Because it is clear you have a closed mind towards it hence they will never ever be a good one in your mind, because you have already made your mind up before they have even spoke

You know what I am getting at and my point is you said all women you have heard commenting on cricket have been bad.

No disrespect intended but don’t think your opinion is valid on the subject.

Because it is clear you have a closed mind towards it hence they will never ever be a good one in your mind, because you have already made your mind up before they have even spoke

I still stand by my comment that I've yet to hear a good one, no female commentator I've heard is an enjoyable listen unfortunately. There are a variety of reasons for that, reasons I've gone over time and time again. When I do enjoy listening to one, I'll say so.

It's interesting though that when I've stated my dislike for/disgust of male commentators nobody ever jumps on the gender bandwagon. There are plenty of blokes I don't enjoy listening to, but that doesn't seem to carry any weight with the usual suspects on here.

Don't start a sentence with 'no disrespect intended' and then fire off an insult, because telling someone their opinion isn't valid is pretty f***ing offensive really isn't it? I wouldn't do it to you, I've said more than once on this thread that your opinion is your opinion and it is as valid as anyone else's on here.

You can continue to make assumptions about me and how my mind works, but I think I can live safe in the knowledge that I know my own mind - it is very open, I've learnt enough from my experiences in life to know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and for that reason I'd never make my mind up about anyone before I'd heard them.

Unfortunately however, it seems you're the one with the closed mind. You have labelled me as you have and no matter what I say, you have an opinion of me that means you keep coming back to the same places. That is the reason you seem to follow me around repeating the same inane bollocks we discussed a week or so prior.

I've absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we'll cover this ground again before the season is out.

I still stand by my comment that I've yet to hear a good one, no female commentator I've heard is an enjoyable listen unfortunately. There are a variety of reasons for that, reasons I've gone over time and time again. When I do enjoy listening to one, I'll say so.

It's interesting though that when I've stated my dislike for/disgust of male commentators nobody ever jumps on the gender bandwagon. There are plenty of blokes I don't enjoy listening to, but that doesn't seem to carry any weight with the usual suspects on here.

Don't start a sentence with 'no disrespect intended' and then fire off an insult, because telling someone their opinion isn't valid is pretty f***ing offensive really isn't it? I wouldn't do it to you, I've said more than once on this thread that your opinion is your opinion and it is as valid as anyone else's on here.

You can continue to make assumptions about me and how my mind works, but I think I can live safe in the knowledge that I know my own mind - it is very open, I've learnt enough from my experiences in life to know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and for that reason I'd never make my mind up about anyone before I'd heard them.

Unfortunately however, it seems you're the one with the closed mind. You have labelled me as you have and no matter what I say, you have an opinion of me that means you keep coming back to the same places. That is the reason you seem to follow me around repeating the same inane bollocks we discussed a week or so prior.

I've absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we'll cover this ground again before the season is out.

It really wasn’t meant to be a insult I just don’t think you are impartial on this subject.

Much like my opinion won’t be impartial talking about Newcastle because I have a bias against them.

And for anyone opinions to be valid they need too be looking at it in a impartial way imo.

You are right and I apologise I can’t know your mind however your posts strongly suggest you think no women should be commenting on cricket,

Asian and female! PC boxes being ticked all over the corner shop!
Adds precisely zero imo. Think she’d be much better served commentating on the women’s games.

Why?

It really wasn’t meant to be a insult I just don’t think you are impartial on this subject.

Much like my opinion won’t be impartial talking about Newcastle because I have a bias against them.

And for anyone opinions to be valid they too be looking at it in a impartial way imo.

You are right and I apologise I can’t know your mind however your posts strongly suggest you think no women should be commenting on cricket,

Why?
I just don’t see what she adds. Rabbiting on about Brett lees boots earlier, even Gower had to give a Sarcy “that’s interesting” to her.
Cricket commentary got along just fine before all the box ticking let’s get women etc involved came along but that just wouldn’t do for the cereal cafe dwellers.

I just don’t see what she adds. Rabbiting on about Brett lees boots earlier, even Gower had to give a Sarcy “that’s interesting” to her.
Cricket commentary got along just fine before all the box ticking let’s get women etc involved came along but that just wouldn’t do for the cereal cafe dwellers.

They you go again mate with your cereal café craic, I still have no idea what one is:D:D

Seriously though there is no reason whatsoever that women cannot add they knowledge and expertise to be interviewing and commented on the game.

For example Sarah Stirk in the golf is very good and has very good knowledge of the game.

And for anyone opinions to be valid they need too be looking at it in a impartial way imo.

Why?

I don't think it matters if you're biased, you're still entitled to your opinion and then it's up to others whether they want to take it seriously or not.

I think it's fair to say you won't take my opinion on this matter seriously but I can live with that.

There are hundreds of pundits out there on all sports who are biased, but are still employed to talk about subjects they probably aren't partial on. Besides, I'd still like to hear your opinion on Newcastle. Probably be something we'd agree on ;)

I don't think no women should be commentating on cricket. My view is sort of two fold - firstly, I haven't heard any decent ones yet and secondly, I worry the ones that are getting air time aren't there on ability unfortunately.

Now we can discuss that if you wish, but it's a view I've held for some time because I've seen first hand, such instances happen in a lot of areas. Not just cricket commentary unfortunately. I'm happy to confront the elephant in the room, but unfortunately taking that stance means people will automatically assume you're a woman hater.

Hopefully you can understand what I'm talking about when I say that.

I don't think it matters if you're biased, you're still entitled to your opinion and then it's up to others whether they want to take it seriously or not.

I think it's fair to say you won't take my opinion on this matter seriously but I can live with that.

There are hundreds of pundits out there on all sports who are biased, but are still employed to talk about subjects they probably aren't partial on. Besides, I'd still like to hear your opinion on Newcastle. Probably be something we'd agree on ;)

I don't think no women should be commentating on cricket. My view is sort of two fold - firstly, I haven't heard any decent ones yet and secondly, I worry the ones that are getting air time aren't there on ability unfortunately.

Now we can discuss that if you wish, but it's a view I've held for some time because I've seen first hand, such instances happen in a lot of areas. Not just cricket commentary unfortunately. I'm happy to confront the elephant in the room, but unfortunately taking that stance means people will automatically assume you're a woman hater.

Hopefully you can understand what I'm talking about when I say that.

Yeah I can see that, one of my pet hates is when they interview ex football players asking their opinion, as it is utterly pointless, remember when they interviewed Phil Thompson asking if Jamie Carragher should have packed in playing for England, his own dad would be less biased!!

Or when they ask football managers whether they thought it was a penalty or not, utterly pointless again as they would change they opinion depending which penalty area it was in.

So see your point about people been biased still been asked for their opinion, however still stand by the view that the less biased you are the more your opinion should be valued.

Sorry to labour the point but confused how you can say no women should be commenting on cricket,surely each one should be judged on merit before making such a general statement.

Last edited:
Sorry to labour the point but confused how you can say no women should be commenting on cricket,surely each one should be judged on merit before making such a general statement.

I think you misread what I put mate, the bit where I said 'I don't think no women should be commentating on cricket.' was a direct response to your initial suggestion that the bit bolded and in inverted commas was my actual view.

My actual view is NOT that women shouldn't be allowed to commentate. Simply that they should only get jobs if they're good enough and if they're the best candidate - which surely should apply to any person, going for any job, in any field, anywhere in the world. In reality however, (in my opinion) that hasn't so far been the case with cricket commentary.

Agree wholeheartedly on your opinion of Phil Thompson however.

What's more, we say it regularly, there aren't many good football pundits - or atleast not a patch on their cricket counterparts.

Back