Fellow Train buffs..

There is a freighter train in use that has a sunderland badge on the side of it, not what you expect to see while standing on a platform in London.
GB Railfreight have named quite a few of their loco’s after English football teams. It also helps that their MD is a MLF. Most of their Op’s team are also MLF‘S including many from the Billingham Branch.
that particular loco looked mint when they parked it on an elevated section of the line inside the Port of Tyne for about a week, with some senior management going nuts about it.

I'm no expert on the real thing, having just got into trains from building a model railway.

When did trains stop having yellow front ends?
That’s when ‘engines’ were engines...none of this train nonsense. Bring back the glory days of diesel....who’d have thought that phrase would ever be uttered.

Mind you, it’s no surprise, a Deltic hairing down the east coast with 13 carriages behind it was always a far better sight and sound than an 8 coach 125. Think I’d even settle for the ‘dull’ 47 to make some reappearances.

Last edited:
That’s when ‘engines’ were engines...none of this train nonsense. Bring back the glory days of diesel....who’d have thought that phrase would ever be uttered.

Mind you, it’s no surprise, a Deltic hairing down the east coast with 13 carriages behind it was always a far better sight and sound than an 8 coach 125. Think I’d even settle for the ‘dull’ 47 to make some reappearances.

Indeed. An engine/engines/locomotive + coaches or wagons = a train.

I grew up with diesels. My grandad (a railwaymen all his life) used to take me to watch/travel on trains as a kid. Always loved the sound and smell of a diesel. There was just something industrial and workmanlike about them. Electric units just don't have that.

Grew out of being interested in railways when I got older and lost all interest, and rediscovered a love for rail travel when the bairn got into them.

Oh how the railways have changed

Last edited:
Silly (geniune) question, but why should the front be yellow?

edit

just googled it

Last edited:

I was travelling to Manchester from Preston late last year and there was a train of vintage carriages standing at a platform which may have been 'The Northern Belle'. I went to have a look at the front of the train to see which engine was pulling the train. My disappointment at discovering a Class 47 was palpable.

I remember seeing 254s on the East Coast all the time. It was an exotic treat to see a 253, very, very rarely on the EC main line, you usually had to go to Paddington to see them.

I apologise for the sadness of this post.

I was travelling to Manchester from Preston late last year and there was a train of vintage carriages standing at a platform which may have been 'The Northern Belle'. I went to have a look at the front of the train to see which engine was pulling the train. My disappointment at discovering a Class 47 was palpable.
Must admit I developed a soft spot for the old duffs when I got a cab ride back from central station to Durham via Heston depot when I as a young in. Never be allowed now but what a class thing for the driver to do, didn’t even interfere with me. :lol:

Indeed. An engine/engines/locomotive + coaches or wagons = a train.

I grew up with diesels. My grandad (a railwaymen all his life) used to take me to watch/travel on trains as a kid. Always loved the sound and smell of a diesel. There was just something industrial and workmanlike about them. Electric units just don't have that.

Grew out of being interested in railways when I got older and lost all interest, and rediscovered a love for rail travel when the bairn got into them.

Oh how the railways have changed
Grew up with both steam and diesel courtesy of my dads involvement with tanfield railway. Spent my teenage years there driving and firing the engines, in fact, the track just south of Andrew’s house station I was driving the steam crane that laid the track. Imagine a group of blokes letting a 15yr old drive a bomb on wheels AND in charge of swinging several tons of very hard steel about up in the air! :lol: Crackers but very good experiences....then I discovered beer, football and women. Life went to shit then.:lol:

I remember seeing 254s on the East Coast all the time. It was an exotic treat to see a 253, very, very rarely on the EC main line, you usually had to go to Paddington to see them.

I apologise for the sadness of this post.
so i had no idea that some 43's got renumbered.

question: why did they make 4 carriage sets? seems a bit overkill?

Back