February Challenge - Technique - Window lit portraits. Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the crack with using window lighting as the main source i.e. key lighting but then adding some flash on the opposite side as fill... is that bending the rules a little too much, or does anyone think that's ok?

What's the crack with using window lighting as the main source i.e. key lighting but then adding some flash on the opposite side as fill... is that bending the rules a little too much, or does anyone think that's ok?
I'd say thats ok

I'd say thats ok

Cool... I think there'll be a few who don't like but tbh I have some shots from over the weekend where I used this set up and it means I have something to submit if it's ok.

Cool... I think there'll be a few who don't like but tbh I have some shots from over the weekend where I used this set up and it means I have something to submit if it's ok.

I think Ross is pulling your leg... ;)

Fight fight fight etc :)

We need Tired Eye's input on this forthwith

Bollocks to the lot of you... I'll submit it anyway :lol:

Tbh it's never going to win either way so it's more to say I've submitted something than anything

ajax_andy said:
Bollocks to the lot of you... I'll submit it anyway :lol:

Tbh it's never going to win either way so it's more to say I've submitted something than anything

I was gutted last month when I couldn't discount any shot for not meeting the rules, so this will be a welcome return to my favourite C&C :)

I'm not man. If i was in charge i'd allow it!

a knaa, I was pulling Andy's leg ;)

If I'm honest though, it doesn't say 'naturally lit portraits' it says 'window lit' so as long as he has fired the flash though a window frame: he's good!

If I'm honest though, it doesn't say 'naturally lit portraits' it says 'window lit' so as long as he has fired the flash though a window frame: he's good!
I tired to cheat last night by masking off my softbox to cause a slated look, epic fail!

Lonz may join us on Saturday btw.

ayesane said:

Sounds like he's using fill light not from the window though. We should probably burn him just in case.

I tired to cheat last night by masking off my softbox to cause a slated look, epic fail!

Lonz may join us on Saturday btw.

sounds good. :cool: Not going to invite Paul this time, sick of sitting watching my phone; willing a text to come in.

Sounds like he's using fill light not from the window though. We should probably burn him just in case.

Haha aye but the key lighting is coming from 3 different windows and the fill from a shoot through umbrella... you see you're all doing it wrong just using the natural light... a proper photographer is able to manipulate light and add extra where required.

disclaimer - The above is just a bull shit excuse because I did some shots at the weekend that I'm now trying to shoe horn in to the competition to save me actually having to try and do something specifically for it :lol:

might change me entry... our lass asked me to do the same thing but in colour for the top of the stairs.. don't know if I prefer it or not.. would have liked to have got her face-on but hey-ho..

Logon or register to see this image

thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
might change me entry... our lass asked me to do the same thing but in colour for the top of the stairs.. don't know if I prefer it or not.. would have liked to have got her face-on but hey-ho..

Logon or register to see this image

thoughts?

Think I prefer this one tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back