Favourite David Bowie Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Co-signing that Bowie was class at Live Aid like. Lad out of Prefab Sprout on the tubs.

Young Americans is a bit overlooked aside from the title track and Fame but there’s not a bad track on it. Win, Right, and absolutely sublime sax from David Sanborn on Somebody Up There Likes Me.

Far too many to name so will confine myself to one track from the first Bowie album I ever physically purchased and a live version of one from the last.

(needs to be played LOUD!!)

Reactions: Sid
This one will be close behind Lady Stardust. Young Americans. David Bowie and Bette Midler had been in a New York club and heard this lad sing - Luther Vandross. The rest was history as Vandross became a complete legend. Bowie invited him to produce the backing vocals on his young americans album and Vandross (one of my all time favourites) is on this video along with the quite brilliant David Sanborn on Saxophone. But look at Bowie. Cool as fuck.

Two or three years later one of my long term friends, a DJ called Alex Lowes, introduced me formally to Vandross. Never lost my love for the bloke. Remember when he died. My wife came in and told me. Broke down. Luther; sadly missed as well.
Love Luther me, best male singer ever imo, subtly different to anyone else especially when singing sad songs. Lyrically it's a bit iffy but 'Dance With My Father' gets me every time and he sung the best ever version of 'Superstar'. Only ever saw him once at the Arena about 20 years ago, was going through one of his 'chubby' stages and his self deprecating humour and superb voice made it a totally unforgettable night, sadly missed indeed.

Anyone looking for an entry into Bowie’s music could do a lot worse than to check out the Serious Moonlight concert video. It’s like a greatest hits set list.

It’s been said you don’t regret the things you did in life, only the things you didn’t do. I always regret not being a big devotee of Bowie till I saw that video and realised the depth of his back catalogue plus what a great snowman he was. I hate that I missed the tour so was first in line to see the next tour - the infamous Glass Spider and we all know how that went. Saw him again around 2005 which was OK but not as special as Serious Moonlight.

Anyone looking for an entry into Bowie’s music could do a lot worse than to check out the Serious Moonlight concert video. It’s like a greatest hits set list.

It’s been said you don’t regret the things you did in life, only the things you didn’t do. I always regret not being a big devotee of Bowie till I saw that video and realised the depth of his back catalogue plus what a great snowman he was. I hate that I missed the tour so was first in line to see the next tour - the infamous Glass Spider and we all know how that went. Saw him again around 2005 which was OK but not as special as Serious Moonlight.

I saw him on that (along with the vastly annoying Smith Brothers) at the N.E.C.

have 're listen to sound and vision. that is the best intro ever. modern tracks dare not not have long intros now cos the kids nowa days skip if they don't instantly like the track. but sound and vision just builds and builds best intro ever.

He always said that he wanted to be a superstar. Achieved that in spades. Amazing track. Where you get such lyrics from I'm not sure. Cant remember if it was this 45 but one had John I'm Only Dancing on the B side. Candidate for the best 45 ever released (alongside Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields).
I sometimes do the pa at swimming galas and at 99% they play the same shite aimed at the kids. At a recent one I used a couple of Bowie tunes to change the mood because even the kids knew tgem then played Joy Division, Jam, Rezillos, etc and got a tremendous response from the adults but the kids enjoyed seeing the oldies enjoying themselves too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back