Favourite David Bowie Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

A simply fantastic track but kind of sad at the same time knowing that he isnt here anymore. Didnt he offer this one to Iggy Pop, he didnt take up the offer and it was picked up by Mott The Hoople?

I was sitting at Newcastle Central Station circa 6am having a cup of coffee waiting for the 622 to Edinburgh when the news of his death came through. Couldnt believe it.

A simply fantastic track but kind of sad at the same time knowing that he isnt here anymore. Didnt he offer this one to Iggy Pop, he didnt take up the offer and it was picked up by Mott The Hoople?

I was sitting at Newcastle Central Station circa 6am having a cup of coffee waiting for the 622 to Edinburgh when the news of his death came through. Couldnt believe it.

Talking Bowie and Iggy, another of my favourites is 'Tonight'. The concert version one he did with Tina Turner is on several of my playlists.

I regret only getting in to Bowie a few years ago- the man was a genius.

Unless you were around when he was at his peak it doesn't really matter when you got into him really. For years I just had a greatest hits before I started delving. Class discovering album after album of brilliance. Wish there was more to find tbh. The Berlin years is still probably my favourite period of his, although some of Lodger isn't great IMO.

This one will be close behind Lady Stardust. Young Americans. David Bowie and Bette Midler had been in a New York club and heard this lad sing - Luther Vandross. The rest was history as Vandross became a complete legend. Bowie invited him to produce the backing vocals on his young americans album and Vandross (one of my all time favourites) is on this video along with the quite brilliant David Sanborn on Saxophone. But look at Bowie. Cool as fuck.

Two or three years later one of my long term friends, a DJ called Alex Lowes, introduced me formally to Vandross. Never lost my love for the bloke. Remember when he died. My wife came in and told me. Broke down. Luther; sadly missed as well.

Last edited:
Unless you were around when he was at his peak it doesn't really matter when you got into him really. For years I just had a greatest hits before I started delving. Class discovering album after album of brilliance. Wish there was more to find tbh. The Berlin years is still probably my favourite period of his, although some of Lodger isn't great IMO.
I'll check that out, cheers

I'll check that out, cheers

Low, Heroes and Lodger.

This one will be close behind Lady Stardust. Young Americans. David Bowie and Bette Midler had been in a New York club and heard this lad sing - Luther Vandross. The rest was history as Vandross became a complete legend. Bowie invited him to produce the backing vocals on his young americans album and Vandross (one of my all time favourites) is on this video along with the quite brilliant David Sanborn on Saxophone. But look at Bowie. Cool as fuck.

Two or three years later one of my long term friends, a DJ called Alex Lowes, introduced me formally to Vandross. Never lost my love for the bloke. Remember when he died. My wife came in and told me. Broke down. Luther; sadly missed as well.

Loving the information/background. Another superb tune that.

Heroes (Live Aid Version) , loved this.

Words almost fail me at this. Remember the performance well. Freddie Mercury of course stole the show, as he always did, but this was just absolute class from Bowie. I wonder why Carlos Alamar didnt play on this? This wasa great day. The Cars and Drive of course was the highlight - if you can call it that given the video that accompanied it. Epic and sad all in one take....

Bowie left Live Aid to be followed by this:

An iconic video/image of the day. Sadly the situation isnt of course sorted yet.

Last edited:
Need to give Diamond Dogs another blast as that was always a record I never really got into.

Warzawa was unbelievable. When he appeared at Newcastle City Hall circa 1978/79 it was his first track. Gary Numan subsequently copied it for his first gigs ie the bank of white lights and musical offering/no lyrics.

Tremendous tune. So atmospheric on record never mind as part of a live show. Bet it was spine tingling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back