FAVOURITE CRICKET BOOKS

Went to the book store at the ground yesterday and it was empty - not just shut but empty of books, any idea what the crack with that is?
It was originally set up after the passing of Colin Craig (hence the name CC books -they were all his). Colin played for Belmont for years and the shop was manned by friends and colleagues. I'll try and find out what's happened, I haven't been in for a few months.

It was originally set up after the passing of Colin Craig (hence the name CC books -they were all his). Colin played for Belmont for years and the shop was manned by friends and colleagues. I'll try and find out what's happened, I haven't been in for a few months.

cheers appreciated. was only in there a few days back but then yesterday totally cleared out. might be they were just having a thorough cleaning session

Went to the book store at the ground yesterday and it was empty - not just shut but empty of books, any idea what the crack with that is?

Perhaps they used all the unsold copies of Dickie Bird's autobiography to assault the umpires with after their clueless performance yesterday.

Nowt like a good cricket book to pass the time now that I'm a man of leisure.
Here's my favourite ten:

1.A Last English Summer..Duncan Hamilton.
2.Bodyline Autopsy...David Frith
3.Grovel!The Story & Legacy of the Summer of 1976..David Tossell.
4.Summers With Durham..Tim Wellock.
5.A Lot Of Hard Yakka..Simon Hughes.
6.Harold Larwood..Duncan Hamilton.
7.Rain Men...Marcus Berkmann
8.Slipless In Settle..Harry Pearson
9.Basil D'Oliveira....Peter Oborne
10.From Minor To Major...Simon Hughes.

Any other recommendations?
Outside Edge DVD box set if you need any televisual entertainment. Simply marvelous.

‘Duncan Hamilton - A Long and Beautiful Summer’ is his best cricket one yet for me, up there with his Clough one.

Couldnt agree more - anyone who cares for red ball cricket should read this.

I have also read Michael Henderson's 'That Will Be England Gone' recently hoping it would be along the same lines but be warned only half of it is about cricket while the rest is the author name dropping, talking about classical music and his high brow chums.

Couldnt agree more - anyone who cares for red ball cricket should read this.

I have also read Michael Henderson's 'That Will Be England Gone' recently hoping it would be along the same lines but be warned only half of it is about cricket while the rest is the author name dropping, talking about classical music and his high brow chums.

He’s a knob. Seems to have been dropped by The Cricketer recently.

A couple of traditional biographies/autobiographies I read ages ago which I particularly enjoyed

Cricketing Falstaff - Biography of Colin Milburn by Mark Peel
I Don't Bruise Easily - Brian Close

Owt by Harry Pearson. Read Duncan Hamilton's Larwood biography but not got around to his other cricket books. I particularly like the sound of Last English Summer.

Nowt like a good cricket book to pass the time now that I'm a man of leisure.
Here's my favourite ten:

1.A Last English Summer..Duncan Hamilton.
2.Bodyline Autopsy...David Frith
3.Grovel!The Story & Legacy of the Summer of 1976..David Tossell.
4.Summers With Durham..Tim Wellock.
5.A Lot Of Hard Yakka..Simon Hughes.
6.Harold Larwood..Duncan Hamilton.
7.Rain Men...Marcus Berkmann
8.Slipless In Settle..Harry Pearson
9.Basil D'Oliveira....Peter Oborne
10.From Minor To Major...Simon Hughes.

Any other recommendations?
Gunner

just out this year

And you don’t need neutral umpires

He called it in the book
Trescothicks autobiography was a real eye opener.
Yeah the original bottling of getting onto VS400 at LHR

Last edited:
A couple of traditional biographies/autobiographies I read ages ago which I particularly enjoyed

Cricketing Falstaff - Biography of Colin Milburn by Mark Peel
I Don't Bruise Easily - Brian Close

Owt by Harry Pearson. Read Duncan Hamilton's Larwood biography but not got around to his other cricket books. I particularly like the sound of Last English Summer.

Pearson’s got a follow up to The Far Corner out I think, which should also be good.

Just finished 'Steve Smith's Men' by Geoff Lemon -an Aussie who doesn't hold back on the criticism and doesn't appear to care much for Warner or Lehmann.

The title on the cover comes in a nice sandpaper effect.:D

A highly recommended and interesting read with some choice Aussie vernacular thrown in for good measure.:lol:

Just read Duncan Hamilton's A Last English Summer 14 seasons on and the same arguments about where cricket is going are with us. Durham were County Champions that year...

As ever, very well written and his memories of his Grandad are particularly poignant. A great snapshot of a season but plenty of characters and stories from cricketing history.

Back