FAVOURITE CRICKET BOOKS

Going on holiday day tomorrow, downloaded the Fires of Babylon to the kindle, what do people reckon next?

Was thinking Trott's, as its more my era

The Art of Captaincy - Mike Brearley
From Minor to Major - Simon Hughes
A Lot of Hard Yakka - Simon Hughes
Yakking around the World - Simon Hughes
Morning Everyone - Simon Hughes
It Never Rains - Peter Roebuck
Slices of Cricket -Peter Roebuck
Sometimes I Forget To Laugh - Peter Roebuck
The Packer Affair - Henry Blofeld
8 Days a Week - Jonathan Agnew
From Outback to Outfield - Justin Langer
Basingstoke Boy - John Arlott
Another Day,Another Match - Brian Brain
A Summer of Cricket - Tony Lewis
Lasting the Pace - Bob Willis

The Art of Captaincy - Mike Brearley
From Minor to Major - Simon Hughes
A Lot of Hard Yakka - Simon Hughes
Yakking around the World - Simon Hughes
Morning Everyone - Simon Hughes
It Never Rains - Peter Roebuck
Slices of Cricket -Peter Roebuck
Sometimes I Forget To Laugh - Peter Roebuck
The Packer Affair - Henry Blofeld
8 Days a Week - Jonathan Agnew
From Outback to Outfield - Justin Langer
Basingstoke Boy - John Arlott
Another Day,Another Match - Brian Brain
A Summer of Cricket - Tony Lewis
Lasting the Pace - Bob Willis
8 days a week is a great read! Aggers is so honest about his relationship with the other players especially Defreitas who he sees as a rival for an England spot playing for the same county.

off the top of my head the ones I enjoyed that haven't been mentioned are trueman's buiography and What I Love About Cricket: One Man's Vain Attempt to Explain Cricket to a Teenager who Couldn't Give a Toss

8 days a week is a great read! Aggers is so honest about his relationship with the other players especially Defreitas who he sees as a rival for an England spot playing for the same county.

Got this from the Book sale at the ground last week for a mighty £1 and am looking forward to reading it.
Also got the late TMS commentator Don Mosey's autobiography 'The Alderman's Tale'
Boy oh boy..he didn't like Southerners (especially the public school variety!!!):D

2 of my favourites (not mentioned so far)

Fred: Portrait of a Fast Bowler by John Arlott

The Fast Men by David Frith

I think that both are available cheap on Amazon

Just finished Fatty Batter on holiday and it's a cracking read.

Our lass got me Simon Jones, The Test for crimbo and it sat till I had nowt else to read as didn't really fancy it.

Turns out it's a cracking book which covers that Ashes series. Mind he goes into some detail on the tactical side and is practically over by over so it may not appeal to all.

I read that book and when Harry Thompson talked about Cee, a great lad who'd play cricket anytime, I was so pleased that he was mentioned in print. But when his death on the field was covered it was a huge shock. You never expect to read about a friend's death in a book.

Fuck sake, no point reading it now :evil:*

Cream Teas and Nutty Slack is a good chronicle of North East cricket. Anything by Harry Pearson usually raises a few chuckles too.

Cant seem to get hold of that anywhere :cry:

On the books I enjoyed or would reccommend - have to say my complete favourite, which I've read about 5 times now but love every page every time is Summers With Durham. I sincerely hope Wellock follows it up with the next chapter, from 2008 to now. He has an immense talent for storytelling in print, I'm not remotely arsed about real ale, but the way he twins cricket with proper pubs in the proper English countryside is very engaging.

Fatty Batter is class, didn't realise there was a second one - I'm off to find it!

Simon Hughes - Minor to Major and Hard Yakka both enjoyable reads.

Rain Men, also class.

Slipless in Settle (and the non-cricket, Far Corner) is (are) absolute quality.

Last English Summer - I really didn't enjoy. I know everyone raves about it but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I had the other books mentioned. I got through it, but I wouldn't read it again.

Fibber in the Heat - Different, but enjoyable, liked the detailed stories of how the media lads have to go on whilst abroad covering England.

*Just kidding, already read it, very enjoyable read ;).

Went to the book store at the ground yesterday and it was empty - not just shut but empty of books, any idea what the crack with that is?

Back