Facts about Sunderland

I did Higher Nationals metallurgy - one of our welding lecturers asked to read up why so many Liberty ships built in the US sunk compared to the British built ones.

I've just found out 35 years late!

Liberty Ship Failures

I did nautical engineering at Redhouse Comp. mostly because we got the afternoon off school to play around in boats at the North Dock. Some of the lessons did sink in though.

I did nautical engineering at Redhouse Comp. mostly because we got the afternoon off school to play around in boats at the North Dock. Some of the lessons did sink in though.

I was sponsored by NEI /Rolls Royce to do a BSc Physics (we did the Control & Instrumentation for Nuclear Sites - power stations, nuclear reprocessing, submarines etc) and it took about 6 years - I left soon after, the work dried up under Thatcher's policies...

Penshaw Monument was originally going to be a pyramid but some parts in the flat-pack were missing so the builders just improvised.

The bloke who invented the modern day pram, William Wilson, served his time as a blacksmith in Sunderland shipyards. He moved to Leeds and founded the Silver Cross company which still exists today.

Back