Facebook Marketplace

Same.

We've never had any issues buying from 'marketplace'.
Having said that, we've mainly used it to buy things like dog beds and crates (locally), and we go collect them ourselves.
Wouldn't buy anything electrical though.
Probably alright to buy on if its local and cash on collection. But selling stuff on it is just inviting nutters into your life.

I sold a load of stuff from my dad's old house on it. People twisting their faces because a one year old washing machine for £25 wasn't in brand new condition. Or driving up from Peterlee for a £15 bedside cabinet and trying to haggle for a fiver off it. I'd rather have smashed it up in front of him to see his stupid grasping face fall.

And that's just dealing with the face to face element - someone else dealt with the online loons to whittle it down to those two.

I know I shouldn't have but I put a hardly used dehumidifier up for sale on Marketplace rather than just skip it. At £20 it's a giveaway. After the usual, I'll give you £5 for it, is this item still available etc. someone said if I'd accept £15 he'd pick it up today so I said yes as long as you get it today. He's now messaged back saying he hasn't got any transport and will I drive the 15 miles to his and drop it off. :lol: fecking muppets.

I know I shouldn't have but I put a hardly used dehumidifier up for sale on Marketplace rather than just skip it. At £20 it's a giveaway. After the usual, I'll give you £5 for it, is this item still available etc. someone said if I'd accept £15 he'd pick it up today so I said yes as long as you get it today. He's now messaged back saying he hasn't got any transport and will I drive the 15 miles to his and drop it off. :lol: fecking muppets.
I've had that too. A Nigerian lass turned up on the bus to pick up a dismantled bunk bed and two mattresses.

It's really just pot luck how fast it goes and who buys it. Put an unused motorbike helmet visor on and it was gone within minutes,which was strange as it was quite a unique part and the bloke started off sounding like a scammer, he's been looking all over for it and wanted it posting. It was only a £10 and he sent the money plus postage via PayPal.

The bairns bike finally went after months of digging my heels in, got £150 out of the £170 I really wanted

Someone did buy it and pick it up yesterday so I marked it as sold. Not 10 minutes ago I got a message asking if they can come over to buy it. I'm putting a commode on there next. Dreading the questions I'm going to get.

Ikea stopped making wardrobes in the colour we have, and with us moving the house around we found we needed 1 more small one - found one on marketplace down in Redcar, nipped down yesterday and it's all cleaned up and installed in place by last night. £50 - bargain.

Probably alright to buy on if its local and cash on collection. But selling stuff on it is just inviting nutters into your life.

I sold a load of stuff from my dad's old house on it. People twisting their faces because a one year old washing machine for £25 wasn't in brand new condition. Or driving up from Peterlee for a £15 bedside cabinet and trying to haggle for a fiver off it. I'd rather have smashed it up in front of him to see his stupid grasping face fall.

And that's just dealing with the face to face element - someone else dealt with the online loons to whittle it down to those two.
I remember at Chester le st market years ago a seller had a pair of binoculars for sale. They weren't in the best condition. Old bloke picks them up, looks through them and asks how much? Seller says £3.
Old bloke puts them down and seller says, how much did you think they'd be? Old bloke, about a pound. Seller says I'd rather throw them up in the air and see them smash on the ground then sell them to you for a pound. Old bloke says, thanks anyway and walks quickly off.:lol:

Last edited:
Yes I have sold loads on this recently but through my lasses account. She just bloody gives the stuff away. I have even had to deliver stuff to the people she sold stuff too.

Got a bargain on there at the weekend. I'd been looking for a new recliner chair (as my old one was knackered) and spotted one I've been eyeing up on Amazon (but couldn't afford so was saving up for it).
The chair was new and £150, £350 less than the one on Amazon so I snapped it up, it's a rise and recline with massage functions........
Logon or register to see this image

A comfy blue velvety number, gerrin 😎 ♥️

A fella turned up at ours to get a treadmill with a Ford Fiesta that was packed already. He loaned some Allen Keys off me and stripped it to a million bits to get it in. No way was it ever going back together properly.
In fairness I also sold some vintage furniture to upcyclers and obvious enthusiasts at slightly knock down prices (needed to empty a house quick, not maximise returns), and they were all lovely people who were made up with their purchases and didn't try to chip the price. So it was only about 60% nutcases and stains on society, which is a pretty good return for anything connected to Facebook.

Back