1913 FA Cup Final
Logon or register to see this image

Programme cover
Event1912–13 FA Cup
Date19 April 1913
VenueCrystal Palace, London
RefereeA. Adams
Attendance121,919
The 1913 FA Cup final was contested by Aston Villa and Sunderland on 19 April 1913at London's Crystal Palace. Playing as the home side, Aston Villa won 1–0 on a goal by Tommy Barber on a crossed ball from Charlie Wallace. Wallace had earlier missed a penalty, something that would not occur again in an FA Cup final until the 1988 final between Wimbledon and Liverpool.

It was Sunderland's first appearance in the FA Cup Final and the first time The Football League's top two finishers had vied for the trophy (even though the League would not be decided for another week).[citation needed] On their way to the match Sunderland had to replay their quarter-final twice and then their semi-final once after draws in those contests. Aston Villa was re-appearing in the final after an eight-year absence and their victory was their fifth, equalling the then-current record of the Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers.

During the match Sunderland's Charlie Thomson and Villa's Harry Hampton almost immediately resumed a long-running feud that led to both players being suspended for a month at the start of the following season.[citation needed] The contest was noted for its rough play and led to the withdrawal of Sunderland's invitation to take part in the 1913 Charity Shield match. Referee Mr. A. Adams from Nottingham was also suspended, having allowed no less than 17 minutes for stoppage time.

I copied it from Wikipedia….i did not realize we where kicked out of the 1913 Charity Shield. I would have thought League winner would get to play. 17 minutes add time our game today is catching up. Interesting reading history….

We woulda been the first team to do The Double.

EDIT: Or maybes not. Preston had done it in 1889, and then Villa in 1889. :lol:

I'd been under the impression for years that we would have been the first. I must have read it somewhere and it's been wrong. Unless it was the first team in the 20th Century or summit.

Last edited:

I'd been under the impression for years that we would have been the first. I must have read it somewhere and it's been wrong. Unless it was the first team in the 20th Century or summit.
No we wouldn’t
Hoh wah the lards

Last edited:

We wouldn't. Preston did it 1888-1889.

One of my major regrets in football that we didn’t win that day

Getting triggered by something that happened 70 years before I was born. Pathetic!
Have a look at the headlines leading up to 1937 and going back to 1888
We’ll never win the cup
What does it take for one of England most successful teams to eventually win the cup

Back