F1 2021

I'm assuming both teams given the money behind them would sacrifice the constructors title for the drivers championship. i.e. hypothetically if Max tries and fails to torpedo Lewis in Dubai but takes himself out and Lewis just needs to get back into the top 10 to take the title i guess Mercedes would order Bottas into the pits or something even if he was leading. just thinking really as i know that's a really really unlikely scenario. Bottas leading that is
I'm not 100% sure on the maths, but where things are currently, it's very unlikely that if Lewis just needed a top 10 in Abu Dhabi to win the title (in the case of a Max DNF) that Mercedes would need more points than that to win the constructors' title. Too many variables in play with a race to go before then.

I think if that scenario were to arise, the constructors' title would come first though, it's always been Merc's number 1 priority.

The scenarios for both championships will be so much clearer after Saudi.

Absolutely agree….but Lewis is all about the team as well as himself…..he will certainly give credit to Valterie if Bottas can help him achievehisown goal…he always has in the past
Hmmm
Lewis praises the team when he wins.
Not so much when he doesn't
I'm not 100% sure on the maths, but where things are currently, it's very unlikely that if Lewis just needed a top 10 in Abu Dhabi to win the title (in the case of a Max DNF) that Mercedes would need more points than that to win the constructors' title. Too many variables in play with a race to go before then.

I think if that scenario were to arise, the constructors' title would come first though, it's always been Merc's number 1 priority.

There is no way Merc would chose the WCC over the WDC if only one was available with equal chance.

Last edited:

Toto in his interview on C4 highlights prog was asked this question…..he said the Drivers championship rather than constructors ( given that it would be a record breaking title win for Lewis )
Hmmm
Lewis praises the team when he wins.
Not so much when he doesn't

There is no way Merc would chose the WCC over the WDC if only one was available with equal chance.
tbf he has often questioned that teams decisions and probably correctly doesnt praise when hegets beat….but that is the winner in LH…..he doesnt like second best…..but should Max beat him to the title fair and square I have no doubt he will congratulate him and RedBull and admit they had the better car ….he already has done as such many times already this year…..to win this year will be very much “against the odds” for him…..and so much sweeter because of it

Last edited:
Toto in his interview on C4 highlights prog was asked this question…..he said the Drivers championship rather than constructors ( given that it would be a record breaking title win for Lewis )

tbf he has often questioned that teams decisions and probably correctly doesnt praise when hegets beat….but that is the winner in LH…..he doesnt like second best…..but should Max beat him to the title fair and square I have no doubt he will congratulate him and RedBull and admit they had the better car ….he already has done as such many times already this year…..to win this year will be very much “against the odds” for him…..and so much sweeter because of it
Fair enough, I hadn't seen that Toto was now favouring the drivers' championship over the constructors'.

Also agree that Lewis will be the first to congratulate Max and Red Bull if they win it, whilst also no doubt praising Mercedes for getting him so close when Red Bull have clearly had the faster car for most of the season.

Toto erred that they’d sacrifice the constructors for Hamilton’s 8th on Sunday after the race

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that Toto was now favouring the drivers' championship over the constructors'.

Also agree that Lewis will be the first to congratulate Max and Red Bull if they win it, whilst also no doubt praising Mercedes for getting him so close when Red Bull have clearly had the faster car for most of the season.
When has Toto ever favoured the constructors? He’s never even had to make the decision before this season

When has Toto ever favoured the constructors? He’s never even had to make the decision before this season
He has always said that the number one priority has been to secure the constructors' title, then let the drivers worry about the rest. To be fair this is the first year when there's been a doubt about the WCC, even when Ferrari had their cheat mode engine the only title under threat was the drivers' one, so it's been easy for him to say without ever having to really back it up.

He has always said that the number one priority has been to secure the constructors' title, then let the drivers worry about the rest. To be fair this is the first year when there's been a doubt about the WCC, even when Ferrari had their cheat mode engine the only title under threat was the drivers' one, so it's been easy for him to say without ever having to really back it up.
Tbf if their drivers win races or are on the podium the constructors championship looks after itself…..the best car driven by the wrong driver wont secure the constructors……you could almost argue that Bottas or indeed Perez will cost Merc or RB the constructors this year if they dont win it

He’s always said it in past seasons but he’s never had to prioritise it mind
When it’s been two merc drivers fighting and he doesn’t care which of the two wins
He’s said he doesn’t care which of the two mercs wins it. Different game when it’s max v Lewis as opposed to Bottas/nico v Lewis

Tbf if their drivers win races or are on the podium the constructors championship looks after itself…..the best car driven by the wrong driver wont secure the constructors……you could almost argue that Bottas or indeed Perez will cost Merc or RB the constructors this year if they dont win it
I said 3 races before the mid-season break they needed to replace Bottas with Russell there and then.

If Mercedes end up with nowt this season they won't need to look very far for a scapegoat.

Bottas has been poor but he's not even got any luck

I said 3 races before the mid-season break they needed to replace Bottas with Russell there and then.

If Mercedes end up with nowt this season they won't need to look very far for a scapegoat.

Bottas has been poor but he's not even got any luck
Luck hasn't been on his side at times, but he hasn't helped himself with some of the worst drives I've ever seen from a supposed top driver. Imola, Baku and Sochi immediately spring to mind as massively substandard drives, even before the crash in Imola. All 3 he just didn't do enough.

Geri’s brother just died in intensive care aged 54. RIP to the lad. Wonder if Horner takes time out to be with her or cracks on with the job in hand?
If I read that right, he died last Wednesday? Didn’t know that their dad died when they were young.

Back