F1 2021

I can't see Mercedes shafting Russell like that to be honest, particularly as Max still retains some of that hot headedness that just doesn't seem to fit into their way of working. Only time will tell I guess.
the bits i was reading was calling the contract hold up due to the "verstappen clause".... like you though, toto so far seems to have shown a fairly steady level headed approach to the young drivers.

not retire from mercedes if Toto's comment is true...

"We have always been aligned with Lewis that we would continue, but the very unusual year we had in 2020 meant it took some time to finish the process," explained Wolff.

"Together, we have decided to extend the sporting relationship for another season and to begin a longer-term project to take the next step in our shared commitment to greater diversity within our sport."

Very interesting. Very cryptic almost. Possibly something to do with women in motorsport? Like W Series? Something to do with alternative fuels in motorsport like Formula E or greater involvement in the new Xtreme Racing Series?

Very interesting. Very cryptic almost. Possibly something to do with women in motorsport? Like W Series? Something to do with alternative fuels in motorsport like Formula E or greater involvement in the new Xtreme Racing Series?

I’m sure we will find out soon enough but a 1 year deal is unusual.

Sounds like Lewis and Toto might be going into a new venture together.

Who knows?

rumour has it that verstappen has an exit clause for the end of 2021 (he's contracted till the end of 23) but i don't know if that's in his or the team favour...
The often quoted one is if they cannot give him a car to get at least 3rd in the WDC, he can walk. As always that is pure conjecture, until someone can publish a full copy of his contract.

Has anyone ever done the F1 fantasy team, be interested in doing one if anyone wants to set up a league, I’d do it but I’m lazy as feck, ha ha

decent read with your elvenses, senna & mclaren in 92 & 93...

this little nugget from martin whitmarsh amazed me (in the aftermath of honda pulling out in '92):

One plan was to buy Ligier, with Mansour Ojjeh’s help, and in effect asset strip the French team’s customer Renault contract. That would at least provide some chance of taking on Williams.

this little nugget from martin whitmarsh amazed me (in the aftermath of honda pulling out in '92):

One plan was to buy Ligier, with Mansour Ojjeh’s help, and in effect asset strip the French team’s customer Renault contract. That would at least provide some chance of taking on Williams.

Canny read I never realised that’s how the million per race came about

Logon or register to see this image

Amazing image that I've never seen before too

And this anecdote:

“The first hiccup was in Imola,” says Jakobi. “I always had to confirm by fax or a phone call that the money arrived. Anyway, the money hadn't arrived on the Wednesday, and Ayrton was in Sao Paulo.

“And so he said, ‘Okay, fine, I'm not gonna race this weekend then.’ And that was it, so I had to tell the team that he wasn't coming, because the money hadn't arrived. The team said they'd sent it – banking wasn't quite as efficient in those days!

“Anyway, lo and behold, the money pitched up on Thursday morning rather than Wednesday.

“So I called Ayrton’s office in Sao Paulo, and they couldn't find him. He gone off with some girl somewhere. He wasn't in his apartment, he wasn't in the office, and they couldn't find him.

“And they found him Thursday lunchtime. So he jumped on the plane. McLaren sent Jo Ramirez to Rome to pick him up, but he went to the wrong airport.

“Ayrton got to the track late on Friday morning, got into the car halfway through first practice – and had an accident. So that was the first one that went haywire…”

Last edited:
And this anecdote:
and then the one before the french gp where he got the plane to "drop him off" in rio, shows the sway he had in the country...

i didnt realise that he was close to fittipaldi till i listened to the beyond the grid podcast that emerson did, probably one of the best in the series i've listened to (he talks about this day):

Logon or register to see this image

i wonder what the young paul tracey was thinking sat the rear wheel, seem to remember penske ran a three car team with unser jnr but can't remember if that was 93 or 94.

Sprint races on Saturday being considered.

3 tracks identified that may be suitable - Canada, Italy and Brazil.
not convinced myself, but open to them experimenting. i guess it depends how "all out" the teams are likely to go the day before the "big day"... with no t-car either what happens if you total your car in a 40-min dash for half points? obvs no grosjean will save haas a fortune.

I would like to see it but I wonder how it will impact the number of power units available per season?
If you take an additional engine/component, does the penalty get applied to the sprint race (so you can work your way back up) or to the main race?

If you take an additional engine/component, does the penalty get applied to the sprint race (so you can work your way back up) or to the main race?
Dunno - it could create a lot of issues for teams around wear and tear and damage. If you got a rear end impact you might need a gearbox so will they allow teams extra allocation.

In other news ............................. Formula 1 has secured confirmation that Portugal can host the third grand prix of the 2021 season on 2 May.

Dunno - it could create a lot of issues for teams around wear and tear and damage. If you got a rear end impact you might need a gearbox so will they allow teams extra allocation.

In other news ............................. Formula 1 has secured confirmation that Portugal can host the third grand prix of the 2021 season on 2 May.
Great news if the Portuguese GP gets the formal go ahead, I haven't seen any confirmation on Autosport or F1 yet.

With the sprint race idea and the associated wear and year, they'll presumably say that it's replacing qualifying and they're having short practice sessions, so that evens it out. The concern would be the added risk of crashing. In the current quali format they're all trying to get as far away from one another as possible, in a race it would be just the opposite. As you say, if someone shunts a gearbox, does it affect the allocation? What about if someone does an Albon and takes off someone's front wheel, do they get an extra set of tyres?

I like the idea of the sprints in principle, but it brings in so many variables that would need a significant adjustment of the rules to allow for.

Great news if the Portuguese GP gets the formal go ahead, I haven't seen any confirmation on Autosport or F1 yet.

With the sprint race idea and the associated wear and year, they'll presumably say that it's replacing qualifying and they're having short practice sessions, so that evens it out. The concern would be the added risk of crashing. In the current quali format they're all trying to get as far away from one another as possible, in a race it would be just the opposite. As you say, if someone shunts a gearbox, does it affect the allocation? What about if someone does an Albon and takes off someone's front wheel, do they get an extra set of tyres?

I like the idea of the sprints in principle, but it brings in so many variables that would need a significant adjustment of the rules to allow for.

Aye, and the cost. The apparent £90,000 of prize money for the short race doesn't really matter if you punt it into a barrier and write off a £200,000 nosecone.

Back