Eurovision 2023🎸🎀πŸͺ©πŸŽΆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

Abba are by far the biggest thing to ever come out of the Eurovision song contest. At one point abba were so big they were making more money than Saab. So for Sweden to win when it's the 50 year anniversary of their win comes over as a bit rigged. Or the sentiment of the 50 years got them more votes than they would have. But since when has the best song won what is a very political contest?

I'm glad I read that back before posting. The D is next to S on a keyboard and I'd typed the Eurovision dong contest. Now that would be something to watch.
Ironically, I'd probably win that one :eek:

Yet I've heard Ireland used to not want to win due to the cost of hosting it
It depends on how they are looking at it.

Liverpool City Council won't see much of that Β£55m directly. The vast bulk of additional tax revenue will go to Central Government in the form of VAT, booze duties, corporation tax and income tax. I guess the Council and the Combined Authority reckon Β£4m is a worthwhile one-off cost to get a short-term boost to the local economy and a long-term increase in tourism. But I reckon they would baulk at spending that money 3 years out of 4, as Dublin did between 1994 and 1997. (Cork had it in 1993 as well.)

Yet I've heard Ireland used to not want to win due to the cost of hosting it
Is that not more the tv companies and councils find it expensive, I’d assume the cities themselves get the uplift of the tourists spending cash there in individual businesses like hotels, pubs, restaurants etc

Last edited:
Can I be the first to say theres a Geordie among the UK band entered

Last edited:

Back