Escape from Dubai...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter sun is fine , good food , quality hotels and service which you know you pay handsomely for.

Jump on the flight at NCL and you’re there seven hours or so later , can’t be arsed with the fuck about heading to the Caribbean and the jet lag malarkey.

Stopped going to the Malls years ago when the exchange rate worked against us , even went skiing once .

It hits the spot for us in the winter for a bit of sit on your arse and chill for a week , totally get why folk don’t like the place though , funnily enough some of the most vocal about the place I know , have never been.

Winter sun is fine , good food , quality hotels and service which you know you pay handsomely for.

Jump on the flight at NCL and you’re there seven hours or so later , can’t be arsed with the fuck about heading to the Caribbean and the jet lag malarkey.

Stopped going to the Malls years ago when the exchange rate worked against us , even went skiing once .

It hits the spot for us in the winter for a bit of sit on your arse and chill for a week , totally get why folk don’t like the place though , funnily enough some of the most vocal about the place I know , have never been.

Well thats the tinternet allover, folk saying how shit Dubai n London are when theyve never left Wheatley Hill.

I’ll comment on places Ive visited. I loved it.

And remember this is how they treat their own, the elite. How do these fuckers treat "the help", the migrant Indians and Filipinos working there? Like utter f***ing shite .

I asked a taxi driver if he was from Dubai n he burst out laughing. They dont do any of the shit jobs. This bloke n his mate drove taxis round the clock, kipped in a bedsit n got home a week every other year!:eek::(

Last edited:
Worked there quite a few times and been around members of the family on a couple of occasions, funny, funny place.

I've been a fair few, thinking back at the stuff I saw without looking for, it is what I conceive to be very unpleasant but I didn't care at the time due to youth and living like a rich person for very little.

Last edited:
Well thats the tinternet allover, folk saying how shit Dubai n London are when theyve never left Wheatley Hill.

I’ll comment on places Ive visited. I loved it.

I asked a taxi driver if he was from Dubai n he burst out laughing. They dont do any of the shit jobs. This bloke n his mate drove taxis round the clock, kipped in a bedsit n got home a week every other year!:eek::(
A canny few of the taxi drivers over there are ex Pakistani army. Great lads but treated like shit.

Worked there quite a few times and been around members of the family on a couple of occasions, funny, funny place.

I've been a fair few, thinking back at the stuff I saw without looking for, it is what I conceive to be very unpleasant but I didn't care at the time due to youth and living like a rich person for very little.
Sounds interesting, do tell!

I’ve been a few times and stay with a mate of mine. It’s a mental way of life. He’s absolutely coining it in tbf but it could all be over tomorrow if he had a disagreement with a client for example.

Outsiders are treat with contempt when it comes to UAE law

With the likes of Instagram showing how the young in the West live and the freedom we have its no surprise that the younger generation in these places want out.

The unpleasant stuff? Considering I wasn't spending a great deal of time away from work, bars, restaurants and shops, the amount of stuff that I saw would suggest it wasn't really an underbelly, more so completely out in the open.

One instance was a chap getting ran over when crossing a road (at the time the light signalled to do so) by a national in a sports car. Said national then got out of the car, proceeded to beat the chap who was in a very bad way only for the police, not the ambulance to turn up and cart the very unwell person away.

Personally, I had a great time as a young person and met some very pleasant people of a lot of nationalities. Many of the nationals were very friendly to Uk people at a difficult time. But its fair to say I look at the whole time differently now and would warn anyone not to underestimate how different the place is.

It has very different ethics and should you go over there, you run the risk of having things happen that you may believe unfair.

this story always sticks in my mind. The Brits were getting out of a taxi which had pulled in ( quite correctly ) to a single track service road outside the Irish village pub. The young local pulled up behind them in his Hummer, google it if you're not sure.

Not guilty plea in 'extreme road rage' murder case

He couldn't be arsed to wait for them to pay the driver so he drove onto the path and at the crowd. He then reversed back over the woman for good measure. She died and he got 7 years

Last edited:
I find it strange how it is acceptable to call these regimes and the people living under them backwards, unpleasant etc. But if someone was to say the same regarding immigrants to the U.K. from the same region they would be called racists.

a friend of my daughters worked in Dubai for about 2 years. When she wanted to leave, she couldn't hand her notice in as the company would get annoyed and would cause all sorts of problems.
She took two weeks leave, had to leave stuff in her flat and flew to uk. she then handed in her notice. she knows she can never go back as she will get arrested and jailed.

a friend of my daughters worked in Dubai for about 2 years. When she wanted to leave, she couldn't hand her notice in as the company would get annoyed and would cause all sorts of problems.
She took two weeks leave, had to leave stuff in her flat and flew to uk. she then handed in her notice. she knows she can never go back as she will get arrested and jailed.
Happens all the time. They can withhold visas etc to stop you getting out.

Happens all the time. They can withhold visas etc to stop you getting out.

she was a scared girl. she couldn't tell anybody other than my daughter, who was sworn to secrecy. petrified about getting arrested on the plane

Something about that doesn't ring true mind. Do you know who she was working for ?

Something about that doesn't ring true mind. Do you know who she was working for ?
something may be lost in translation but fundamentally true. she was an editor of a magazine, cant recall if a sub editor but something to do with reviewing specific locations in Dubai (that may not be 100% accurate, but this was about 10 years ago).

It made an impression on our lass who declared “ Right that’s it, We are never going to Dubai”
I initially thought thank feck for that but went to bed plotting her arrest over there on our first visit ;)
It’s a cracking country to visit as tourist just because it’s like Disney on sand.

One of my best mates has been living there ten years and another about six and they both love it. Don’t think I could live there though. Everything is so false and it’s mental how quickly the dubai has developed in 20 years.

something may be lost in translation but fundamentally true. she was an editor of a magazine, cant recall if a sub editor but something to do with reviewing specific locations in Dubai (that may not be 100% accurate, but this was about 10 years ago).
She may have been afraid but probably unduly so, it's easy enough just to go to the airport and get on a plane, loads of folks do a runner

It’s a cracking country to visit as tourist just because it’s like Disney on sand.

One of my best mates has been living there ten years and another about six and they both love it. Don’t think I could live there though. Everything is so false and it’s mental how quickly the dubai has developed in 20 years.
It's not like that when you live there though. You go to work, the kids go to school and you meet mates for a pint at the weekend, you don't do the tourist stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back