Eoin Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHARLIE COROLE

Central Defender
Morgan was selected post ashes on the basis that we had several Asian tours on the horizon and he had the ability to play spin well at number 6.

That was one of only a few genuine mistakes under the current regime.

Morgan has to be dropped. Irrespective of previous failings Bopara should play the next Test. However, James Taylor is the best medium to long term option.

The rest of the shower should have to hand over a fair proportion of their considerable salaries to contribute towards the supporters air fares who have made the trip.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say give him some time, he will come good. I really like him, even though he is a walking wicket at the moment. KP, Strauss, bell have been just as bad.

Stick with the gypo.

I am not in favour of dropping people mid series. The alternative is no better. You would like to think all the batters will be better for this series behind them when we go to Sri Lanka.

I didnt realise if you were top of the test rankings April 1st you get £110k from the ICC

Seems pointless dropping him for the last test in the series, especially when the alternative is that knacker Bopara. If he doesn't score any runs in the next game then the selectors must look at the alternatives for our next tour, because at the moment he looks absolutely clueless. A Sunday League cricketer would've been embarrassed to play the shot he got out to in the second innings.

He should be given at least one more test, he's not the only one out there at the moment that seems to be batting with a stick of Rhubarb. Besides I'm not convinced about Bopara as a Test cricketer.

The problem with the number 6 spot is a think we need a gritty player in there and not a stroke player, someone like a Collingwood type. Someone that can dig in when the chips are down. Prior at 7 and Broad at 8 are the stroke players.

I am not in favour of dropping people mid series. The alternative is no better. You would like to think all the batters will be better for this series behind them when we go to Sri Lanka.

I didnt realise if you were top of the test rankings April 1st you get £110k from the ICC

All the more reason to win the next test, this is no dead rubber for England....

Last edited:

Agreed.

Still think he was the wrong choice in the first place mind

will never be a test match player.

leave him playing the rounders version where field restrictions allow him to play his fancy shots.

when bresnan is fit id have him in with prior moving up one. in the longer term i think stokes will solve the problem and morgan will be long gone.

Last edited:

leave him playing the rounders version where field restrictions allow him to play his fancy shots.

when bresnan is fit id have him in with prior moving up one. in the longer term i think stokes will solve the problem and morgan will be long gone.

Stokes will never be a test player from what I have seen. Great eye, hits it miles, technically even more suspect than Morgan

In my opinion of course

I like Stokes but he looked hopeless against the Indian spinners in the ODIs. Its a tricky one with team selection for the next test - I think I would drop Morgan because his mind is fogged and I cant see him getting a run. I dont necessarily think it shouild mean the end of his test career yet though. I dont have great confidence in Ravi but he may do better and his bowling has come on a ton allowing us to play 2 spinners.

I expected Strauss and Cook to struggle but I expected a canny bit more from Bell, Pietersen and to some extent Morgan.

I like Stokes but he looked hopeless against the Indian spinners in the ODIs. Its a tricky one with team selection for the next test - I think I would drop Morgan because his mind is fogged and I cant see him getting a run. I dont necessarily think it shouild mean the end of his test career yet though. I dont have great confidence in Ravi but he may do better and his bowling has come on a ton allowing us to play 2 spinners.

I expected Strauss and Cook to struggle but I expected a canny bit more from Bell, Pietersen and to some extent Morgan.

Interesting that Bell has been promoted being good against spin, but has struggled against Murali & Warne more than most. What was really poor was the impression that he had no idea what was coming in terms of a doosra and the necessary plan in place to pick it

Interesting that Bell has been promoted being good against spin, but has struggled against Murali & Warne more than most. What was really poor was the impression that he had no idea what was coming in terms of a doosra and the necessary plan in place to pick it

Aggers made this point on TMS that against very good spinners he is poor.

Aggers made this point on TMS that against very good spinners he is poor.

On a positive note, I dont believe India or Sri Lanka possess an Ajmal, but I expect pitches to turn more than these have.

Having seen England, if you were India or Sri Lanka would you be asking the groundsman to prepare worn tracks which spin appreciably? I would

On a positive note, I dont believe India or Sri Lanka possess an Ajmal, but I expect pitches to turn more than these have.

Having seen England, if you were India or Sri Lanka would you be asking the groundsman to prepare worn tracks which spin appreciably? I would

Own up lads, who has hacked his account and is posting sense?

You wouldn't even need to do that to be honest. Just prepare a flat pitch and tell the bowlers to bowl straight, we seemed incredibly clueless on how to play, what was essentially line and length bowling.

Aye it was - and Pietersen suddenly struggling against left arm orthodox when he looked as if he had sorted those problems out last summer. He started playing around his pad to balls he was hitting in the V last year.

Flower does deserve some criticism for this but also as experienced internationa batsmen they should be finding a way that works for them.

the ball hasnt really done anything this series and we have looked clueless. as long as they have pitches where scoring is more difficult they will be happy.

almost all dismissals against the spinners were a result of batsmen misreading the length.

Last edited:
You wouldn't even need to do that to be honest. Just prepare a flat pitch and tell the bowlers to bowl straight, we seemed incredibly clueless on how to play, what was essentially line and length bowling.

spot on

we basically have no clue how to make angles and make scoring shots from straight deliveries.

Last edited:

:eek: Harbajan? ;) On a serious note, you're probably right. The key will be us being positive against the spinners they do have. In Sri Lanka, we're bound to be playing in dust bowls where it could turn massively, so we'll need to take our chances to get the runs against their pace attack.

What India will do with their pitches is anybody's guess with their better pace attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back