Entering Club Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

What about the one that states that the horizon must be somewhere between 89.9999999 and 90.000001 degrees of the vertical edges of the photo? ;)

Some judges are lenient like that.

I've not entered many competitions, but have had the 'pleasure' of observing quite a few at the local camera club, and really its more about knowing what that particular judge likes rather than having a particularly good photo. I've seen people enter the same photo in 2 competitions with 2 different judges to have one totally dismiss them and another raving about them.

Some love loads of post-processing, some hate it, some will hate straight lines, others curvy lines, some hate reflections, others love them, some love lens flare, others hate it etc..

Something to watch for on a projected image competition is that the projector will rarely be calibrated or the room light controlled, so what comes out on the screen will not always be what you expect. In that respect, your B&W photo will possibly fair better than a colour one.

Most club judges are likely to pick up on technical things such as overexposed highlights or underexposed shadows so if you can avoid things like that it will give you a head start.

For the most part though, just enjoy listening to what they think of your photo whether they score it highly or not. It is always interesting to hear what others think.

So the full competition is here:

http://www.southgatephoto.org.uk/Competitions/2015-Competitions/PDI-5-20Oct15/

I got 16 out of 20. Funnily enough, the judge said he wanted the people more in the middle of the cavern, than at the back.

Anyway. There are some corkers on that link, but there are some fairly average ones as well in my opinion. I felt like I held my own anyway. :)
i've seen a million shots from antelope canyon, but you did manage to do something a little different with it

it's better than virtually all the shots on your link, i don't like much better. prolly the bear and the jesus statue

btw they get around these twats

btw the pacific coast shot has had a new sky rather unsubtley painted in :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i've seen a million shots from antelope canyon, but you did manage to do something a little different with it

it's better than virtually all the shots on your link, i don't like much better. prolly the bear and the jesus statue

btw they get around these twats

btw the pacific coast shot has had a new sky rather unsubtley painted in :lol:
Aw thanks. That's made my morning that :)

I've been in the camera club for a while now, so I'm plucking up the courage this year to enter more photos in competitions. Got three in this week's. One of them is Seaham beach. If they don't like that, they're southern wankers.

I like them....all of them.

Ive never joined a camera club, though i did go to one once to to see if i wanted to join....i didnt!
Im not saying what club it was, but they were so far up their own arses it was unreal. Made me feel very "unwelcome".

Maybe i just picked a wrong un, and have toyed with the idea of trying another.

I like them....all of them.

Ive never joined a camera club, though i did go to one once to to see if i wanted to join....i didnt!
Im not saying what club it was, but they were so far up their own arses it was unreal. Made me feel very "unwelcome".

Maybe i just picked a wrong un, and have toyed with the idea of trying another.
It's like posting on here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back