Entering Club Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined a local camera club a few months back and I am plucking up the courage to enter something in their last projected image competition of the year. Anyone here in a club and have any tips for me?

Some of the photographers here are seriously good, some are okay, so I don't think I'll be too much out of my depth, but I'll let you know how it goes :)

They had an exhibition in a local shop window and I had an image in that but actually having judges give marks and critique is a bit scarier.

I joined a local camera club a few months back and I am plucking up the courage to enter something in their last projected image competition of the year. Anyone here in a club and have any tips for me?

Some of the photographers here are seriously good, some are okay, so I don't think I'll be too much out of my depth, but I'll let you know how it goes :)

They had an exhibition in a local shop window and I had an image in that but actually having judges give marks and critique is a bit scarier.

We used to have a weekly competition in our local newsagents who was a very keen photographer.
Eight or nine customers would enter, and the newsagent would ask one of his customers picked at random to judge.
The winner got some sweeties, and picked the next weeks subject.
All good harmless fun which ended when the newsagent retired.

I know someone who goes around and judges these things

I can't believe some of the things he comes out with. All too formulaic for me

For me it's instant, it either grabs you or not, nowt to do with bloody formulas

I know someone who goes around and judges these things

I can't believe some of the things he comes out with. All too formulaic for me

For me it's instant, it either grabs you or not, nowt to do with bloody formulas
I've seen a couple of competitions here and some judges make a lot of sense, others are a bit strange!

Interestingly they have an annual competition with a club in the States with the same name as ours and thy have two judges judging both sets of photos - sometimes there are massive variations!

I really just want to get some tips on composition so I'm hoping that any feedback from a judge is better than nothing :)

I went to a club once but and was full of boring beardy wankers. It was like looking in a mirror.

@HellsBells Chuck some pics up for some friendly critique.

I've never heard a judge at a camera club ever give feedback that didn't include "I find the sun / cloud / fence / stream / murderer in the background slightly distracting."

I heard one once say that he'd have cloned some extra detail into the wing of some bird of prey. I nearly murdered him.

I went to a club once but and was full of boring beardy wankers. It was like looking in a mirror.

@HellsBells Chuck some pics up for some friendly critique.

I've never heard a judge at a camera club ever give feedback that didn't include "I find the sun / cloud / fence / stream / murderer in the background slightly distracting."

I heard one once say that he'd have cloned some extra detail into the wing of some bird of prey. I nearly murdered him.
murdered photo judges prolly score quite highly in the states

Normally full of old codgers into bird photography and landscapes. Not for me :lol:
That's my experience too. I entered some of my glamour stuff and got no points, even though it was pretty good according to the studio owner where I shot it.

After another two club nights of looking at holiday snaps, I left the club.

@HellsBells I really like it and I like the people. Agree that maybe just one person would work better.

I'm almost convinced it would be better in colour though, certainly the ones without people.

Here it is in Colour:

Logon or register to see this image

I like the fella in green as he really stands out but I just wasn't sure about the orange, and thought the black and white brought out the lines a bit more.

Here's one without people. I really struggled with exposure given it was so dark inside, but the sun was bright coming in (IIRC it was mid morning). Most of these are about 2.5 second exposures.

The thing about Antelope Canyon is it's so well photographed that it's really difficult to get a good one yourself because all the good ones have been done and on the from to Nat Geo. Anything else looks a bit meh. :)

Logon or register to see this image

Thanks for all the feedback lads, I'm very new to this proper photography lark, so I might post more on here as it's a great way to learn.

i prefer it in black and white tbh

one person looking down the canyon would have been canny. maybe move a sheep in too

btw steeed is there a new competion for november yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back