English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh

CPLforever

Midfield
Walking home today I was listening to those East Kilbride boys The Jesus and Mary Chain and thought god, these are my favourite Scottish band ever.....ever.

Which got me thinking who are my favourite home nations bands or singers (today, at this minute I know things change every day). So

English: The Cure

Irish: The Undertones

Scottish: aforementioned Jesus and Mary Chain

Welsh: Shirley Bassey, tho not as familiar with Welsh musicians as I should be but was watching her yesterday on the tellybox and thought, she's bloody good.

Going from my most listened to in 2023:
English - Skinny Lister
Irish - The Mary Wallopers
Welsh - Super Furry Animals
Scottish - Peat & Diesel
Ooooh you like those wild Stornoway boys.
English: The Smiths

Scottish: Frightened Rabbit/ Jesus and the Mary Chain

Welsh: Super Furry Animals

Irish: Therapy?
I can see reading through this thread I am going to be changing my mind every second.

I think the Smiths were the last band I truly truly idolised.

Last edited:
Ooooh you like those wild Stornoway boys.

I can see reading through this thread I am going to be changing my mind every second.

I think the Smiths were the last band I truly truly idolised.
To be honest mate, I could’ve put The Cure, The Clash, The Smiths, Joy Division etc as it changes quite a bit. I like a lot of Scottish bands too, but staying strong to my childhood favourites.

Let me think

Scottish - Deacon Blue

English- Madness

Irish - The Pogues

Welsh - Catatonia
Deacon Blue, I have never met one Scottish person who doesn't love them. Not necessarily people's favourite but never heard a Scottish person say they don't like them.
English - The Smiths
Welsh - SFA
Scottish - Simple Minds (pre 1990)
Irish - U2 (pre 19994)
Hmmmmm can go with the first two but definately not the third and fourth

Last edited:
Walking home today I was listening to those East Kilbride boys The Jesus and Mary Chain and thought god, these are my favourite Scottish band ever.....ever.

Which got me thinking who are my favourite home nations bands or singers (today, at this minute I know things change every day). So

English: The Cure

Irish: The Undertones

Scottish: aforementioned Jesus and Mary Chain

Welsh: Shirley Bassey, tho not as familiar with Welsh musicians as I should be but was watching her yesterday on the tellybox and thought, she's bloody good.
English: probably The Beatles.

Irish: another band which ends in tones.

Scottish: aye, Jesus and Mary Chain are quality.

Welsh: no idea.
I considered Belle and Sebastian but no, sticking to Jesus and Mary Chain.
Yeah, I like them.

Do Big Country count as Scottish? None of the original line up were born in Scotland.
Hmmmmmmm interesting. They were formed in Scotland tho Dunfermline I think, but interesting conundrum.

Weren't Snow Patrol formed in Glasgow but are Irish?

You've identified a flaw in my thread.
English - Queen
Scottish - Biffy Clyro
Irish - Thin Lizzy
Welsh - Manic Street Preachers
Was just talking to someone today whose brother was a massive Thin Lizzy fan, he was donating some initial pressed, pristine condition vinyl to the shop. We are just researching prices now.

Last edited:

Back