England's batting dilemmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite saying drop Cook, opening with him & Bairstow is the other option I’d consider. You get the RH/LH combination and Bairstow has done well opening the one day stuff.

It also means Buttler gets the gloves which solves one problem but I don’t think Bairstow would be happy to give them up which poses another problem.

He could go from being very involved right throughout a game with bat and gloves to potentially having very little to do if he gets out cheaply which would probably be tough for him to take.

For me, it only works with him as opener if there are two blockers at 1 and 3. So (an in form) Cook and someone who is not Joe Root - maybe Burns/Gubbins?

I'd give it a go in the winter to see. If he can do it there will build his confidence for a home series, which is the ultimate test of openers really. But away from home it could strengthen us - he could be a bit of a Warner style flat-track bully. People sneer at that, but a lot of games are on flat tracks, so you know.

His technique is quite simple too - quite Trescothick like. He just needs to develop the eye and temperament to leave well.

Worth a look, but aye I don't hold my breath. Maybe you're right that he's 1 or 7 though.

I've never ever wanted Root at 3

This idea that the best player plays at 4 is a complete and utter myth

the best player plays at 4, he needs to be there.

You are right about Bairstow. Its a gamble for sure, but I think we are at that stage

Buttler and Stokes just showed they can bat at less than 50 runs per 100, we probs need that drilling in them

Despite saying drop Cook, opening with him & Bairstow is the other option I’d consider. You get the RH/LH combination and Bairstow has done well opening the one day stuff.

It also means Buttler gets the gloves which solves one problem but I don’t think Bairstow would be happy to give them up which poses another problem.

He could go from being very involved right throughout a game with bat and gloves to potentially having very little to do if he gets out cheaply which would probably be tough for him to take.
Kholi rightly gets plenty of stick for playing for himself. The selectors need to front up & tell Bairstow he plays for the team & if they want to use a different keeper, then he has to live with it or go.

Kholi rightly gets plenty of stick for playing for himself. The selectors need to front up & tell Bairstow he plays for the team & if they want to use a different keeper, then he has to live with it or go.
While I agree with you on the hardline stance and the team comes first, it has to be balanced out with getting the best out of the players, and it seems Bairstow having a lot to do gets the best out of him, hence why he’s got to number 9 in the world or whatever it is. And if taking the gloves off him and moving him to opener negatively impacts on his game then it’s a big consideration. But it seems to be working in the one day stuff so I’m interested to see what it would be like in the Test side, plus I think it would help Cook’s game. It’s an idea worth trying IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back