England vs India (fourth test) The Oval

I’ve got tickets tomorrow. How long does it normally take to get through security etc? Been there for county games but not an international.
Usually very easy, though I normally like to get there a bit before the rush.

Caveat here is that I haven't been during Covid.
On the toss, I'm not sure we've got this one right.

The cloudy weather is set for at least the first two days, maybe the third too. So it's not like there is a day 1 v day 2 advantage.

Also, this is the Oval not Headingly and I've been out this morning (in North London) and it is not humid. It is cold and fresh. Seems optimistic to thing there'll be a lot of lateral through the air.

Not sure, but maybe the pitch has some grass.

Last edited:
They’ve done this as it gets sunny next few days so better for batting
Problem is relying on a solid batting lineup to take advantage of that

I like our attack today though. Four seamers that should all - Overton maybe the weak link - have a lot of control. New Vice-Captain Ali has bowled fairly tightly this series too - been a good defensive bowler, holding an end down (something he's struggled with throughout his career) and taken the odd wicket on seaming tracks. There'll not be much let up in pressure from us, without Curran coming on for six overs of rank left-arm pies.

Isn't the Oval a seaming pitch at the start and then a spinner's pitch as it wears? Normally I mean
Ashwin got a 6fer for Surrey here. Virdi and Moriarty got a fair few wickets in the same game.

India fans raging that Ashwin not playing.

That last ball of Anderson’s over is literally the only dangerous ball of the innings. I wasn’t sure about the decision at the toss and it’s looked fairly serene batting.

If you win the toss and bowl, anything less than three wickets by lunch makes it look an iffy decision.

Looks like a typical oval pitch to me so far
That last ball of Anderson’s over is literally the only dangerous ball of the over. I wasn’t sure about the decision at the toss and it’s looked fairly serene batting.

If you win the toss and bowl, anything less than three wickets by lunch makes it look an iffy decision.

its about what they get bowled out for mind not how many by lunch, that’s irrelevant if they get 400

Looks like a typical oval pitch to me so far

its about what they get bowled out for mind not how many by lunch, that’s irrelevant if they get 400

Agreed. But it’s a toss decision based upon overheads. Root said so. If those overheads aren’t exploited when they’re at their most conducive to swing bowling and wickets aren’t taken then the decision doesn’t look good.

Back