England v West Indies series confirmed

Times reporting that Root is almost certain to miss the 1st test now and Stokes will be captain

The most worrying aspect of that is the vacancy at no.4 (according to The Times) might be filled by Bairstow:rolleyes:

Times reporting that Root is almost certain to miss the 1st test now and Stokes will be captain

The most worrying aspect of that is the vacancy at no.4 (according to The Times) might be filled by Bairstow:rolleyes:
Aye but straight back out when roots back, id actually like to see someone new like Lawrence given a go

He isn't I agree, but Athers (I think) made a very good point about how many overs he takes of the new ball before exposing Root, Stokes and co . He may not bat big, but he bats reasonably long.....

No way is he a long term solution though and if he's batting 4 you might as well bring in Lawrence
Handy bowling option is Lawrence, i think pope will move up the order eventually, how many chances does Buttler get, does ali come back in a lot of decisions to be made

Handy bowling option is Lawrence, i think pope will move up the order eventually, how many chances does Buttler get, does ali come back in a lot of decisions to be made
Yeah, we have a "wealth" of talent available right now. This has to be Buttler's last chance IMHO. I hope they leave Pope at 6 and let him develop. Too soon to rush him up the order I think.

He isn't I agree, but Athers (I think) made a very good point about how many overs he takes of the new ball before exposing Root, Stokes and co . He may not bat big, but he bats reasonably long.....

No way is he a long term solution though and if he's batting 4 you might as well bring in Lawrence

Its a really good point.

I’d rather have Denly averaging 30 off 100 balls than a thrasher who averages 35 off 50.

Team Stokes
Dominic Sibley, Keaton Jennings, Zak Crawley, Jonathan Bairstow, Ben Stokes (c), Ben Foakes, Moeen Ali, Lewis Gregory, Craig Overton, Jack Leach, Olly Stone, James Anderson, Saqib Mahmood.

Team Buttler
Rory Burns, James Bracey, Joe Denly, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope, Jos Buttler (c), Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Dominic Bess, Mark Wood, Jofra Archer, Stuart Broad, Matthew Parkinson, Ollie Robinson.

Team Stokes
Dominic Sibley, Keaton Jennings, Zak Crawley, Jonathan Bairstow, Ben Stokes (c), Ben Foakes, Moeen Ali, Lewis Gregory, Craig Overton, Jack Leach, Olly Stone, James Anderson, Saqib Mahmood.

Team Buttler
Rory Burns, James Bracey, Joe Denly, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope, Jos Buttler (c), Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Dominic Bess, Mark Wood, Jofra Archer, Stuart Broad, Matthew Parkinson, Ollie Robinson.
Jennings c Buttler b Woakes 2 (18)

Back