England V India (5th test) Old Trafford

It took my years to enjoy any form of 20/20 but I cant get away with franchise cricket in any form. I've watched bits of games when channel hopping but its not really my cup of tea.
I’ll watch the blast basically because it’s the counties. It’s fine I guess. But I can’t get away with the CPL, IPL, PSL or the BB. The same players who were opponents one week are team mates the next, feels like a glorified friendly to me

There is no doubt in mind whatsoever having watched it for years that the IPL is a great watch , it’s full of quality, and world class cricketers played in a what looks like a simply brilliant atmosphere and I also think it’s a bit of a myth that players change teams all the time.

The top players in it the likes of Rohit, Burmah, Kholi, De villers etc etc have always just played for just one side.

That said it doesn’t change the fact that it is nothing short of a absolute disgrace a final match of a massive test series was cancelled with the IPL in mind.

Which it was ,saying anything else is simply naive

Last edited:

For anyone suggesting Livingstone

no thanks
There is no doubt in mind whatsoever having watched it for years that the IPL is a great watch , it’s full of quality, and world class cricketers played in a what looks like a simply brilliant atmosphere and I also think it’s a bit of a myth that players change teams all the time.

The top players in it the likes of Rohit, Burmah, Kholi, De villers etc etc have always just played for just one side.

That said it doesn’t change the fact that it is nothing short of a absolute disgrace a final match of a massive test series was cancelled with the IPL in mind.

Which it was ,saying anything else is simply naive
The negatives out weigh the positives for me now

it’s just gonna get worse too

test cricketer has never been stronger in England than right now in terms of demand and ticket sales

but even we have players missing tests because of IPL and tests called off

imagine how it is for South Africa etc

they are on about a 2nd IPL in America!

Last edited:

no thanks

test cricketer has never been stronger in England than right now in terms of demand and ticket sales

Like everything at the moment with cricket it’s a question of balance.

I think what the cricket authorities have to do and granted it not easy is get that balance right.

The IPL is massive because fans love attacking fast flowing cricket, with superstars of cricket hitting big shots always have imo, that needs to be accepted, as does the fact that in this country there should be one and just one short format of the game.

It needs to be embraced that fans love shorter formats of the game and that it also good for finances.

However at same time red ball cricket and particularly test cricket MUST remain the number one priority as series like The Ashes will always be the biggest challenge of a cricketer.

It’s a fine balance and hard job to get that balance right but both formats need to be embraced and a place found in the calendar for both!!

Last edited:

no thanks

Agree on Livingstone. But it’s never been consistent like that sadly

Issue we are gonna have is our talented young lads wont play red ball cricket

curran doesnt ever, and he has gone backwards, to the point that he isnt remotely near test quality right now.

its a major worry

if Joe Root came through now, what would happen, its hard to say.
Absolutely. Was pathetic that Curran wasn’t playing for Surrey last week for example

Issue we are gonna have is our talented young lads wont play red ball cricket

curran doesnt ever, and he has gone backwards, to the point that he isnt remotely near test quality right now.

its a major worry

if Joe Root came through now, what would happen, its hard to say.
Rightly or wrongly that’s not just England as imagine India’s young cricketers want to play in the IPL.

So agree going forward it’s a problem but it’s not a problem just for England players

Absolutely but for obvious reasons my concern is England
Yeah of course, just sometimes when reading this board at times, you would think the switch to more white ball cricket and more emphasis on it, hence possibly weakening our test team was just a English thing and just down to the ECB.

When undoubtedly imo there has been a global switch towards it no more such than India

Back