England v India 5th Test, Edgbaston (1st July) Match Thread

Get him in the white ball stuff at county level. That’d do for me. Get his feet moving, get some positive defensive play where he’s willing to run it off the face or play late and take singles rather than just throw the hands. I don’t think he needs time out. He needs to find clarity by batting

I respect your opinion and you never know as you say, getting him into the whole white ball stuff at County level may help him but to me he looks like he needs a break.
Just as an added extra to my last post, Crawley had 2 choices in his 2nd innings. Sit in and hope he could find a bit of rhythm or try and score his way into form and hope the rhythm would come. Neither worked.

Last edited:

Key has done brilliantly appointing McCullum so would certainly forgive him for preserving with Crawley if he is influencing to side which is probably unlikely.

Although I do agree surprised he is still there

Key has done brilliantly appointing McCullum so would certainly forgive him for preserving with Crawley if he is influencing to side which is probably unlikely.

Although I do agree surprised he is still there
McCullum has openly admitted that he's not up to date with England domestic cricket so he probably did lean heavily on input from Key and Taylor.Doubt if he'd know a great deal of alternatives to Crawley

McCullum has openly admitted that he's not up to date with England domestic cricket so he probably did lean heavily on input from Key and Taylor.Doubt if he'd know a great deal of alternatives to Crawley
That makes perfect sense. They are backing Crawley, I feel one last time, with no cc for a while after this one off test

sangers going on about buttler had me thinking he was ITK. Could he be joining the RAOS?

Yeah that’s probably fair enough.

Crawley on borrowed time just matter of time

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense. They are backing Crawley, I feel one last time, with no cc for a while after this one off test

sangers going on about buttler had me thinking he was ITK. Could he be joining the RAOS?
I was listening when Sangers made the suggestion and I think it was along the lines "why not try Buttler" when they were discussing all the openers who had failed along the lines " you're likely to get a ball with your name on it from world class bowlers early on so why not throw your bat at it". Athers was then baiting him about Twitter being white hot about his suggestion but he wouldn't bite.

I was listening when Sangers made the suggestion and I think it was along the lines "why not try Buttler" when they were discussing all the openers who had failed along the lines " you're likely to get a ball with your name on it from world class bowlers early on so why not throw your bat at it". Athers was then baiting him about Twitter being white hot about his suggestion but he wouldn't bite.
He mentioned it on Friday as well. So wasn't quite that opinion I thought, it was a serious suggestion from an odd source.

That logics also why we picked Vince Hales Stoneman and then the mad experiment of Roy(so unfair on him) under Bayliss. It didn't work.

I'd like to think there is still place for proper openers in this new look England.

He mentioned it on Friday as well. So wasn't quite that opinion I thought, it was a serious suggestion from an odd source.

That logics also why we picked Vince Hales Stoneman and then the mad experiment of Roy(so unfair on him) under Bayliss. It didn't work.

I'd like to think there is still place for proper openers in this new look England.
I agree Roy was chucked in opening when he never did in before in red ball cricket against a brilliant Aussie bowling attack.

And before he knew it he was labeled not a test player provably never to be selected again.

Remember the old days if someone did well in a benson and hedges final or Gillette cup, they got an England spot.

Old school openers are long gone imo. We may end up rotating players on a series basis

15 man squad named.

Brook, Billings, Broad and C.Overton to miss out in my opinion.

Which leaves:-

Crawley
Lees
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes (c)
Foakes (wk)
J.Overton
Potts (ob)
Leach
Anderson (ob)

Last edited by a moderator:
From the squad picked, I’d go:

Lees
Crawley
Pope
Root
Bairstow (WK)
Brook
Stokes
J Overton
Potts
Leach
Anderson

Stokes isn’t a 7, but it opens up a spot for Brook. Bairstow 100% stays at 5.

Last edited:
Remember the old days if someone did well in a benson and hedges final or Gillette cup, they got an England spot.

Old school openers are long gone imo. We may end up rotating players on a series basis
Aye, Gillette cup final as last game of the season - book yourself a place on the winter tour.

Anderson and Foakes play if fit, Overton and Billings if not.

Crawley gets another game because he's playing in a winning team, something which we haven't been able to give to our new call ups for a while.

Leave the rest alone, for Gods sake stop making the same mistakes and leave the good bits alone. For once.

The year is 2050. Lord's lies under floodwater from the melted ice caps. Players take shelter from radioactive fall-out. Mutant zombie hordes wander Headingley. At Canterbury, Darren Stevens marks out his run. A crackly voice is heard on the remaining government emergency radio station, announcing the squad for the first test v China: Zak Crawley has been picked again.

The year is 2050. Lord's lies under floodwater from the melted ice caps. Players take shelter from radioactive fall-out. Mutant zombie hordes wander Headingley. At Canterbury, Darren Stevens marks out his run. A crackly voice is heard on the remaining government emergency radio station, announcing the squad for the first test v China: Zak Crawley has been picked again.
Already happening mate

Jimmy Anderson waiting for his 2000th test wicket...

Back