England v India 5th Test, Edgbaston (1st July) Match Thread

mackembhoy

Striker
Well no rest for the wicked onto the next one.

Lets hope we can draw the series and make a mockery of India's laughable decision to go play the IPL rather than try and win a series in England.

India likely missing their two top scorers for the series. Their captain and vice captain in Rohit and KL Rahul.

If Foakes doesn't make it id rather give Brook a go and Jonny the gloves. But can't see them wanting to change his role again so imagine Billings may get another go.

Crawley is a lucky boy

This could end up ruining Crawley. Another game where he looks gone and I’ve no doubt the Indians will have been watching, he may not come back

The Indians will have Crawley for toast. Very bad decision that. Not just for the team but for the lad personally.

Doesn't look like Brook will get a chance if Billings is being retained.

Anderson in. It'll be one of Overton or Potts to drop out imo. JO didn't excell with the ball and Potts has bowled about 40 overs more than anybody else this season. Can see him being rested and them going with Broad and Anderson as the star players to finish that series of.

The Indians will have Crawley for toast. Very bad decision that. Not just for the team but for the lad personally.

Doesn't look like Brook will get a chance if Billings is being retained.

Anderson in. It'll be one of Overton or Potts to drop out imo. JO didn't excell with the ball and Potts has bowled about 40 overs more than anybody else this season. Can see him being rested and them going with Broad and Anderson as the star players to finish that series of.
Potts bowled better than Overton. It's a pretty straightforward decision imo ;)

I think they’re going to stick with Crawley for the summer. McCullum is clearly a fan and they won’t want to change a winning side. I’d personally just give him the next test with it being soon but beyond that I’d be looking elsewhere and asking him to go back and assess his game and work on his temperament

Potts bowled better than Overton. It's a pretty straightforward decision imo ;)

I agree, Potts arguably has a claim to be Man of the Series. If we're going on form, he's the last bowler to be left out. However, as I said he's bowled 30 or 40 odd overs more than any other bowler this season, they may decide to bring Anderson back in and give Potts a rest for the Saffers given Overton' excursions with the bat
I think they’re going to stick with Crawley for the summer. McCullum is clearly a fan and they won’t want to change a winning side. I’d personally just give him the next test with it being soon but beyond that I’d be looking elsewhere and asking him to go back and assess his game and work on his temperament

It's not just a case of Crawley being thrown back into the County circuit and working on his game. The lads looks knackered, mentally. He needs a time out.

Last edited:
I agree, Potts arguably has a claim to be Man of the Series. If we're going on form, he's the last bowler to be left out. However, as I said he's bowled 30 or 40 odd overs more than any other bowler this season, they may decide to bring Anderson back in and give Potts a rest for the Saffers given Overton' excursions with the bat

It's not just a case of Crawley being thrown back into the County circuit and working on his game. The lads looks knackered, mentally. He needs a time out.

I don’t necessarily buy that. He needs to go back to playing cricket. Developing his ability to accumulate runs and a positive defensive technique is what he needs to do. He’s got to learn that he can’t just stand and deliver and bully world class test attacks by throwing his hands at it.

I don’t think there are any cc games upcoming with the 100 and 50 over cup in coming

don’t think Crawley will be in the 100, so will have to go into the 50 over game for form

I don’t necessarily buy that. He needs to go back to playing cricket. Developing his ability to accumulate runs and a positive defensive technique is what he needs to do. He’s got to learn that he can’t just stand and deliver and bully world class test attacks by throwing his hands at it.

Don't get me wrong, he does need to go back and do exactly as you say. I'm not disputing that. Firstly, for the lads own sake he needs to go and get his head away from cricket for aittle bit. He looks mentally shattered and throwing more balls his way straight away isn't going to help him imo. When's the next county game he could be play realistically?
I don’t think there are any cc games upcoming with the 100 and 50 over cup in coming

don’t think Crawley will be in the 100, so will have to go into the 50 over game for form

Indeed. He needs time away first then get his head back into read ball cricket. Looking back, I'm not sure we did right by the lad by asking him to open in test match cricket in the first place.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, he does need to go back and do exactly as you say. I'm not disputing that. Firstly, for the lads own sake he needs to go and get his head away from cricket for aittle bit. He looks mentally shattered and throwing more balls his way straight away isn't going to help him imo. When's the next county game he could be play realistically?

Get him in the white ball stuff at county level. That’d do for me. Get his feet moving, get some positive defensive play where he’s willing to run it off the face or play late and take singles rather than just throw the hands. I don’t think he needs time out. He needs to find clarity by batting

Back