England v Australia 1st ODI 11/9/20 1pm start

People's thoughts on Moeen? Didnt look like taking a wicket and no runs again (albeit in a difficult situation). Not really sure what he offers anymore, ideally whoever they think Plunkett's replacement is should be in the side over Ali.

And on Billings - he was excellent, played some nice shots

Fine line I agree - I just think he was on the other side to yourself. And earlier there were others on both sides as well, so hardly just me.

But if he was playing for his hundred, he did by definition cost us a chance at winning the game. It’s a team effort, and Billings made it to 100 in part due to the early work of other players seeing off other bowlers, such as Bairstow, and playing Billings into a position to capitalise, he was there at the end to try to take advantage of the situation and get us over the line - just think not taking the risks necessary to win is criminal.

Take the Xamper last overs for instance, he hit a good reverse for 4, but then the Aussies covered it but he played 4 more reverses in the next 2 overs for a single into that area along the ground. You aren’t going to reverse along the ground for four with a fielder out there, so you either try to go aerial and beat him or pick another shot, like the lofty drive over extra where the man isn’t on the boundary anymore. Yes it has more risk but also more reward and overs 42 and 44 needed more risk chasing 10 an over than to pile pressure onto Woakes at the other end (which incidentally meant he holed out himself). But you aren’t winning by singling to point at the end of the day, especially knowing what they had to come. Buttler in the T20 showed much better ways to score heavily against the spin than Billings attempted. I wouldn’t have minded if he’d have tried and failed, it’s the not trying and taking the easy option that doesn’t sit right

Im sure we all have played plenty of the sport. Not sure what the point in the post is however

We will have to agree to disagree, I would see your point totally if I thought he was playing for himself and not the team, as agree totally with that principle and know exactly where you coming from with your argument.

However he was trying to score but the bowlers from their team bowled very well at him and restricted him, don’t think he purposely played for himself really don’t

Was trying to manage the game with the wickets down and runs needed.

Don’t agree with your comparison with Buttler either, as Buttler better player who can play shots all round the wicket and not Billings fault he not as talented.

There were loads of reasons we lost that game but Billings was not one of them

Fine line I agree - I just think he was on the other side to yourself. And earlier there were others on both sides as well, so hardly just me.

But if he was playing for his hundred, he did by definition cost us a chance at winning the game. It’s a team effort, and Billings made it to 100 in part due to the early work of other players seeing off other bowlers, such as Bairstow, and playing Billings into a position to capitalise, he was there at the end to try to take advantage of the situation and get us over the line - just think not taking the risks necessary to win is criminal.

Take the Xamper last overs for instance, he hit a good reverse for 4, but then the Aussies covered it but he played 4 more reverses in the next 2 overs for a single into that area along the ground. You aren’t going to reverse along the ground for four with a fielder out there, so you either try to go aerial and beat him or pick another shot, like the lofty drive over extra where the man isn’t on the boundary anymore. Yes it has more risk but also more reward and overs 42 and 44 needed more risk chasing 10 an over than to pile pressure onto Woakes at the other end (which incidentally meant he holed out himself). But you aren’t winning by singling to point at the end of the day, especially knowing what they had to come. Buttler in the T20 showed much better ways to score heavily against the spin than Billings attempted. I wouldn’t have minded if he’d have tried and failed, it’s the not trying and taking the easy option that doesn’t sit right

Im sure we all have played plenty of the sport. Not sure what the point in the post is however

Just that your views are welcome however uneducated and batshit mental they are. Keep them coming.

People's thoughts on Moeen? Didnt look like taking a wicket and no runs again (albeit in a difficult situation). Not really sure what he offers anymore, ideally whoever they think Plunkett's replacement is should be in the side over Ali.

And on Billings - he was excellent, played some nice shots

Hes really becoming pointless. Doesn’t bat well, rarely bowls and when he does he offers no threat, isn’t the best fielder. Not sure why he’s in the team tbh
Just that your views are welcome however uneducated and batshit mental they are. Keep them coming.

Rather arrogant

They mention in Wisden that in the last two years [ODIs], Moeen averages 15.84 with the bat, and 88.09 with the ball.

His 66 was his highest score in 3 years in any format I believe. He'll be 36 when the next ODI World Cup arrives.

Surely you have to draw a line at some point. We need a wicket-taking threat in the middle overs - whether it's spin or seam. Given the next WC is in India you'd think spin is more likely. Quite happily see another leggie in there - it's a gamble you can take with Root & Stokes in the side.

Back