England in Sri Lanka (White Ball)

Nor the opposite.

Viewing figures are simply that. There's no doubting shorter form cricket is easier and more convenient to view …. this doesn't necessarily mean it's more (or less important) it's simply a fact.

Nevertheless it is true that Test cricket (or County Cricket) is seen as more of a test of skills and endurance and patience etc. and a player who excels in those formats receives more respect. e.g. Joe Root is more respected for what he's done in Test cricket than in the ODI's even though his record there is pretty good.

Guess that’s my point either is not more important than the other, and that is what triggered me to comment.

For someone to say one day series is meaningless is what I disagree with because what is meaningless to one person is not to another.

I do agree with you that Root is more well known for his test performance but think that is more down to the English way of thinking.

In India he could be argued Kohli is more well known for his IPL heroics or his reputation as a finishing in one day cricket chasing a score.

Test cricket for obvious reasons is seen as more of a test of patience and endurance although whether patience and endurance is entertaining is a matter of opinion.

However can not disagree with you more about skill!!!

Someone like Buttler has fantastic and incredible skill imo.

His skill level and be able to do what he does and some of the innings he has played is of a very high skill level and that imo is a higher skill than watching the likes of Hamed from Lancs bore the tits of you!

However can not disagree with you more about skill!!!

Someone like Buttler has fantastic and incredible skill imo.

His skill level and be able to do what he does and some of the innings he has played is of a very high skill level and that imo is a higher skill than watching the likes of Hamed from Lancs bore the tits of you!
Doing a compare and contrast of Buttler and Hameed is not a good one. Compare someone at the top of each type of cricket would be better.

Or compare the skill levels on the bowling side? Compare Malinga against Broad at Trent Bridge … I'd rather be watching Broad, much more exciting. Maybe when you switch from batting to bowling disciplines the calculation on excitement switches around?

Mind you. Given all the differences the long and short formats might as well be different games and we might as well be arguing over the relative merits of Buttler versus Louis Hamilton.

Doing a compare and contrast of Buttler and Hameed is not a good one. Compare someone at the top of each type of cricket would be better.

Or compare the skill levels on the bowling side? Compare Malinga against Broad at Trent Bridge … I'd rather be watching Broad, much more exciting. Maybe when you switch from batting to bowling disciplines the calculation on excitement switches around?

Mind you. Given all the differences the long and short formats might as well be different games and we might as well be arguing over the relative merits of Buttler versus Louis Hamilton.

Guess it’s personal choice mate but I would rather watch a Gilchrist in full flow in a test match than a Cook in full flow.

I just prefer attacking cricket over patience and endurance and even in test cricket the true great teams were attacking teams Aussies and West Indies, and the great batsman Viv Richards, Brian Lara,Sachin and Ponting we’re attacking players.

There seems be this assumption that test cricket is all about patience and endurance while it is factor on test cricket, attacking like the Aussies did with their great team works in test cricket too

Even in that great series in 2005 we fought fire with fire and won that series that way.

The best players for me are not the best test match players or the best one day players, it is the players who adapt their game to all 3 formats and still perform to a high level, Root, Kohli, Warner.

Last edited:
Guess it’s personal choice mate but I would rather watch a Gilchrist in full flow in a test match than a Cook in full flow.

I just prefer attacking cricket over patience and endurance and even in test cricket the true great teams were attacking teams Aussies and West Indies, and the great batsman Viv Richards, Brian Lara,Sachin and Ponting we’re attacking players.

There seems be this assumption that test cricket is all about patience and endurance while it is factor on test cricket, attacking like the Aussies did with their great team works in test cricket too

Even in that great series in 2005 we fought fire with fire and won that series that way.
Fair enough of course each to their own.

I'm just making the point that, you can of course say Gilchrist vs Cook is excitement vs boredom …. but what about Mark Wood (in an ODI) versus Mitchel Johnson in Tests. I'd say there was much more excitement in Johnson trying to get wickets with 4 slips and two gullys than Mark Wood trying to keep the over rate down.

Anyways. I know we're not going to agree, not a problem, each to their own.

Fair enough of course each to their own.

I'm just making the point that, you can of course say Gilchrist vs Cook is excitement vs boredom …. but what about Mark Wood (in an ODI) versus Mitchel Johnson in Tests. I'd say there was much more excitement in Johnson trying to get wickets with 4 slips and two gullys than Mark Wood trying to keep the over rate down.

Anyways. I know we're not going to agree, not a problem, each to their own.

Yeah I can take that and agree especially the Johnson comparison, but the common factor with both Gilchrist and Johnson is that whether one day or tests both of them were attacking, I mean Mitchell Johnson was known for his attacking bowling, it's not that I prefer one day over tests, it's that I prefer attacking cricket!

T20 about to start if anyone's interested. I know it's football today so probably not. I don't even know who my team is playing or if they're home or away such is my lack of interst in them at the moment so I'm watching the cricket.

D team in the Sky studio. Dernbach and Rainford Brent

SL win the toss and bowl

• Niroshan Dickwella(wk)
  • Kusal Mendis
  • Dinesh Chandimal
  • Dhananjaya de Silva
  • Dasun Shanaka
  • Thisara Perera(c)
  • Isuru Udana
  • Kamindu Mendis
  • Lasith Malinga
  • Amila Aponso
  • Lakshan Sandakan
England
  • Jason Roy
  • Jos Buttler(wk)
  • Alex Hales
  • Eoin Morgan(c)
  • Ben Stokes
  • Joe Denly
  • Moeen Ali
  • Adil Rashid
  • Liam Plunkett
  • Tom Curran
  • Chris Jordan

Last edited:
Good game.

Roy for all he got runs. Was dropped 3 times, shouldve drs stokes iirc, got Morgan run out then wasted a Drs. Plus he seems to have put a few clem on.

Moeens cameo was good

Denly did extremely well with bat and ball

But my man of match was Adil Rashid. Total difference to him now. Has a air of cocky confidence which I love. Seems to have cut the bad ball every over out too. Just shows you what a arm round the shoulder and a proper run in the team can do.

Back