England in NZ

Really needed to emphasise how batshit the selectors and Bayliss thinking were.

Or rather I just just forgot to take the second one out after changing my two pence worth.

I cry no tears for Roy. What's he done in red ball? He was worth a punt near the top because we were f***ing desperate and you never know. If you're looking at him as a six then there are nearly a score of more worthy players, about five or which tend to be in the England squad already.

Pope deserves his shot. He's averaged 60 odd and then near 80 odd in his county seasons. You can't ignore that.

Hopefully Stokes and Pope take another 10 overs off the new ball tomorrow before them two, Buttler and Curran take the game away from NZ. It's the kind of platform/performance we've been needing for years.

Looks like a nice, patient approach from England. Something we haven't seen for years

Of course, now they've done that, the usual suspects in the media are out moaning about the lack of "urgency" in the batting yesterday, England can't win with some people

I'd give credit to the NZ bowlers as well. They stuck to the task really well on a pitch that looks kind to the batsmen. It's good, competitive cricket all round, and England's position has been well and hard earned.

Yeah, looks a tough wicket to get twenty wickets on. You have to be really patient and bore the batsmen out.

May go a bit two-paced later on - which will most suit De Grandhomme and Broad, perhaps. Kissing the pitch from a height, rather than banging it in.

Will be a good test of Jof too. People say that bowlers who bowl that fast are dangerous anywhere because of pure pace. Well, we'll see. If he can do it on a pitch like this with a Kookaburra, then we really have a player on our hands. Build a team round him - patient batting, tight lines from the other seamers and we've a way to win on a lot of surfaces round the world.

The Sky crew were saying Root radically has altered his technique, and looked awful. But I only watched the first session and the round-up - did anyone watch him? What's he done? Any footage out there?
Hopefully Stokes and Pope take another 10 overs off the new ball tomorrow before them two, Buttler and Curran take the game away from NZ. It's the kind of platform/performance we've been needing for years.

Yes, but our problem hasn't always about not building the platform. At least as often it's been about not taking advantage of it - we need players to go on and get tons, not fifties. Already two have done exactly that - and Stokes is a bit fortunate not to be joining them. I'll be encouraged if one of Pope-Buttler-Curran gets a ton. That would be magic.

Last edited:
Yeah, looks a tough wicket to get twenty wickets on. You have to be really patient and bore the batsmen out.

May go a bit two-paced later on - which will most suit De Grandhomme and Broad, perhaps. Kissing the pitch from a height, rather than banging it in.

Will be a good test of Jof too. People say that bowlers who bowl that fast are dangerous anywhere because of pure pace. Well, we'll see. If he can do it on a pitch like this with a Kookaburra, then we really have a player on our hands. Build a team round him - patient batting, tight lines from the other seamers and we've a way to win on a lot of surfaces round the world.

The Sky crew were saying Root radically has altered his technique, and looked awful. But I only watched the first session and the round-up - did anyone watch him? What's he done? Any footage out there?

Yes, but our problem hasn't always about not building the platform. At least as often it's been about not taking advantage of it - we need players to go on and get tons, not fifties. Already two have done exactly that - and Stokes is a bit fortunate not to be joining them. I'll be encouraged if one of Pope-Buttler-Curran gets a ton. That would be magic.
It was more the NZ commentators saying he Root was taking a really big step back so playing with his hands reaching for the ball rather than getting the whole momentum of his body into a shot. Atherton pointed out that they hadn't noticed so it might have been a gradual progression rather than anything radical but the NZ commentators don't see Root so often so it's more obvious compared to the last time he played test cricket v NZ.

I don't know what the usual suspects in the media are saying about England being too cautious but it certainly felt like they could have looked for a quick single more often than they did. I prefer this approach to trying to blast bowlers out of the attack in the first session.

I thought Pope looked really confident and in good nick. Stepped into a push through the covers on his first ball and though he got a few crap deliveries he timed them beautifully. Hope he and Stokes (who looked like he was playing a different game apart from that drop) make the most of the start today, really important first session.

It was more the NZ commentators saying he Root was taking a really big step back so playing with his hands reaching for the ball rather than getting the whole momentum of his body into a shot. Atherton pointed out that they hadn't noticed so it might have been a gradual progression rather than anything radical but the NZ commentators don't see Root so often so it's more obvious compared to the last time he played test cricket v NZ.

I don't know what the usual suspects in the media are saying about England being too cautious but it certainly felt like they could have looked for a quick single more often than they did. I prefer this approach to trying to blast bowlers out of the attack in the first session.

I thought Pope looked really confident and in good nick. Stepped into a push through the covers on his first ball and though he got a few crap deliveries he timed them beautifully. Hope he and Stokes (who looked like he was playing a different game apart from that drop) make the most of the start today, really important first session.

Yes, but also Joe Root is on record as saying he was going to unveil a "significant shift" to his technique in this series. Root confident 'significant shift' in technique will yield 'big runs'

That was my criticism of Sibley too. I know all his heavy scoring shots are on the on-side. But he needs to at least be able to pick up singles on the off-side to keep the bowlers honest. Otherwise, they'll hang it out there all day.

Last edited:
I watched the first session. I though we looked quite settled. A bit slow but we can work on that. That NZ commentator Smith doesn't give us the lickings of a dog. He said we could be in trouble as we lost Sibley and another either side of lunch - ffs. Stating the obvious and hoping for a lot.

Fuck me, dig in and make runs when the bowlers tyre. It wasn't rocket science was it, Trev?

Really hoping that philosophy allows Buttler and Stokes to blossom this series as you need the right balance, between defence and attack

By building the platform at the start allowing our stoke players to score faster when the bowlers are more tired.

Yes, but also Joe Root is on record as saying he was going to unveil a "significant shift" to his technique in this series. Root confident 'significant shift' in technique will yield 'big runs'

That was my criticism of Sibley too. I know all his heavy scoring shots are on the on-side. But he needs to at least be able to pick up singles on the off-side to keep the bowlers honest. Otherwise, they'll hang it out there all day.
Fair enough, I didn't see that and just heard the discussion though I can't even tell you a rough time that it took place or my level of consciousness :)

Views on Sibley from one knock?

he has clear got something but....

he doesn’t seem to have much of an offside game, will international bowlers hang it on 7th stump and wait for a mistake?

Is he fit enough?!

Views on Sibley from one knock?

he has clear got something but....

he doesn’t seem to have much of an offside game, will international bowlers hang it on 7th stump and wait for a mistake?

Is he fit enough?!

Looks to be short on attacking shots but there's been plenty batsman who've had hugely successful careers on a limited array of shots (Cook, G.Smith, Chanderpaul) so I'm not overly concerned as he looked very solid. A promising start but he'll need to expand his game a bit IMO.

It's the kind of platform that we've gone on to make 300 all out. Seen it so many times over the last few of years.

Simple question
Why is this thread not appearing in my cricket forum list of threads?
I have picked it up from a last post notification for cricket forum

You need a pitch like that to make it an even contest with them Kookaburras. Soft as shite.

New Zealand are probably favourites because of home advantage. I would say their batting looks better than ours, but we've finally picked a decent line-up imo. Really think Sibley and Pope will strengthen things, and Buttler sounds like he's in decent touch too.

Taking twenty wickets will, as ever, be our challenge away from home. New ball pairing is strong, but Stokes has really gone off the boil with the ball and I'm still not convinced Curran can be more than a fourth seamer. There'll be little for Leach out there either.

Only seen the highlights on You -Tube but it looks like there wasn't any demons in the pitch .Unless the groundsman is a miracle worker !!

Back