Engagement ring

• Thread starter Deleted member 55680
  • Start date

Buy 5 rings of different sizes but same design a few days before the proposal on your credit card. Pick the best fit & take the other 4 back for a refund 👍💰

Had second thoughts this morning mate tbh and then I seen I posted this, thanks everyone for your help though. It may still be on the cards think I'm just more worried about the cost of getting married etc

The cost can get out of hand, but if you're happy with Registry office & do at the local social club, then don't have to cost too much. If you're not yet on the housing ladder, I'd be concentrating on that over a fancy wedding.

Had second thoughts this morning mate tbh and then I seen I posted this, thanks everyone for your help though. It may still be on the cards think I'm just more worried about the cost of getting married etc
You can still have a fanstastic wedding at a fraction of the cost to most. All about whether wanting a big one…

We had a great holiday already planned and “tagged” the wedding around it. An amazing place/location but just me and the wife, no guests at all.

Probably only £500 max on top of the already booked holiday.

The cost can get out of hand, but if you're happy with Registry office & do at the local social club, then don't have to cost too much. If you're not yet on the housing ladder, I'd be concentrating on that over a fancy wedding.
We did that. Marylebone registry office and afternoon tea.

We did have a party in a castle in france but even that was cheap relative to what is quoted now.

I knew she had a ring that fit her engagement finger, so I borrowed a vernier calliper from work and measured the internal diameter when she took it off to go in the bath. Probably only handy in my circumstances, as aware not everyone has access to inspection gear :lol:

I knew she had a ring that fit her engagement finger, so I borrowed a vernier calliper from work and measured the internal diameter when she took it off to go in the bath. Probably only handy in my circumstances, as aware not everyone has access to inspection gear :lol:
No self respecting lass would accept a marriage proposal from a lad who didn't own a vernier.

Few years back - I gave my mother in law £50 to buy my fiance a ring as a christmas present. So she was none the wiser as she thought her mam was just buying her a ring for Christmas. They went to get her finger measured late October/early November. I then sorted her engagement ring and proposed to her Christmas eve

Don’t see it that way at all…we talked about getting married, went ahead and arranged it ( abroad and no guests) neither me nor my wife ever considered ourselves to be engaged.
Neither of us would have referred to or thought of us as being engaged.
Whether you think you were or not, you were.

An engagement or betrothal is the period of time between the declaration of acceptance of a marriage proposal and the marriage itself (which is typically but not always commenced with a wedding).

Whether you think you were or not, you were.

An engagement or betrothal is the period of time between the declaration of acceptance of a marriage proposal and the marriage itself (which is typically but not always commenced with a wedding).
Not all countries even do engagements man...in my case there wasn't a proposal. As for "declaration of an acceptance" ffs :lol: complete nonsense. If people want to get engaged, have a party, buy the ring good luck.

Anyhow what about those who get engaged and then don't marry. I'm sure I hear them talk about previous engagements despite no eventual marriage taking place. How does that fit in to the above definition ?

Not all countries even do engagements man...in my case there wasn't a proposal. As for "declaration of an acceptance" ffs :lol: complete nonsense. If people want to get engaged, have a party, buy the ring good luck.

Anyhow what about those who get engaged and then don't marry. I'm sure I hear them talk about previous engagements despite no eventual marriage taking place. How does that fit in to the above definition ?
It says at some point in the definition that a marriage doesn’t have to happen.

I am not understanding how you got to the conclusion to get married if you’d didn’t discuss and agree to get married at some point.

Mine wasn’t romantic or secretive but we still said, shall we get married, aye.

Your way worked for you, others works for them. It’s only a word used to define a situation, it’s not life or death, embrace it.

Back