Energy suppliers going bust

Avro have ceased trading

We are an island out away from Russia and the Middle East so everyone else is keeping gas for themselves and saying fuck off brexit Britain.

We produce a bit of gas but nowhere near enough to be self sufficient.
What are you basing your opinion on?

Is Vladimir Putin to blame?

The UK imports less than 1 per cent of its gas from Russia, so it’s not the case that a big valve marked “UK” has been heaved shut in a basement under the Kremlin.

Last edited:

The UK imports less than 1 per cent of its gas from Russia, so it’s not the case that a big valve marked “UK” has been heaved shut in a basement under the Kremlin.
That doesn’t matter. They set the price, the rest of the market raises its price as a result. Supply and demand.

Really basic stuff.

That doesn’t matter. They set the price, the rest of the market raises its price as a result. Supply and demand.

Really basic stuff.

This. Russia is by far the largest supplier of gas to the EU by a country mile. Even if we don’t purchase directly from them, the likelihood is they are supplying it and any price rise is inevitably passed on to us.

Qatar is another option but China is currently hoovering up almost all of their reserves, therefore Gazprom (Putin’s friend) can charge what it wants.

I`ve twisted about these idiots for years and their "profits fell by 100million last financial year" press statements. The amount of cash most of them must have squirelled away must be obscene, surely the big uns could take a hit for a year to help people out. But nope, nah. Must maintain that xxxx minimum million billion profit balance each and every year.

Not for me 1st of month to next 1st of month in summer is 50 quid for both, winter time about 100. You realise energy companies get billions for ppl overpaying.
we still get paper bills. i'm buggered if i'm letting these companies take more than I've used. might be more expensive but look at how many people on this thread alone are in credit to them. they have started sending them out monthly instead of quarterly which is annoying and apparently they can't revert back. not sure who we're with but it used to be eon.

Really basic stuff.
The Kremlin spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, dismissed allegations that Moscow could be partly blamed for soaring gas bills in Europe.

"They (Europe) prefer to focus on spot supplies, on the spot market. It is exactly the spot market that leads to such jumps, like this rampant price rise," Peskov told a daily conference call with reporters.

Last edited:

Is that where the valves are? I never knew that. Still someone has to open them and close them. Might as well be Vlad.

Really basic stuff.

Another factor to consider is we're no longer a member of the EU Internal Energy Market that can also help reign in price rises. Prices are rising all over Europe but they're rocketing here.

I`ve twisted about these idiots for years and their "profits fell by 100million last financial year" press statements. The amount of cash most of them must have squirelled away must be obscene, surely the big uns could take a hit for a year to help people out. But nope, nah. Must maintain that xxxx minimum million billion profit balance each and every year.

Most of the big energy suppliers don't make much, hence the reason they've been trying to sell them off for years. Generation and distribution is where the money is.
The standard charge in June was 11p each per day, it’s 55p now. In June I was paying £38, I’ve been quoted £93 with edf this morning.

I'm confused by the standing charge going up mind, that belongs to the distributors, not the suppliers.

Last edited:

Back