Energy suppliers going bust

Mine has gone from 113 to 137, then 175 from November. It's a variable rate with EDF and they've quoted 190 on a fixed deal, which is identical to every other supplier I've had a quote from.

Time to get on the street corner, but I think I'd come back in debt.

Always found it hard to get my head around really. All these suppliers are essentially supplying nowt. Just buying it off somebody else then selling it on for profit.
Like a shit load of businesses do.

Asda buy stuff off someone else and sell it on at a profit.

Like a shit load of businesses do.

Asda buy stuff off someone else and sell it on at a profit.
Pretty much that, and when lots of those are cutting their margins to the minimum to try and build a customer base, they're particularly vulnerable. It's a perfect storm right now. I get that the wholesale costs thing is global in nature, but still don't get why costs to the UK are increasing way out of comparison to everywhere else. Even accounting for Brexit and covid, the % increases and suddenness seems way higher for UK energy provision.

The knock on effects are pretty worrying too, massive energy cost increases will hit just about everyone in every industry and it really could snowball.

wonderful I'm with Avro. or was

prices look ridiculous on any switching websites so will just wait and see who I get moved to

Avro have ceased trading
Pretty much that, and when lots of those are cutting their margins to the minimum to try and build a customer base, they're particularly vulnerable. It's a perfect storm right now. I get that the wholesale costs thing is global in nature, but still don't get why costs to the UK are increasing way out of comparison to everywhere else. Even accounting for Brexit and covid, the % increases and suddenness seems way higher for UK energy provision.

The knock on effects are pretty worrying too, massive energy cost increases will hit just about everyone in every industry and it really could snowball.
We are an island out away from Russia and the Middle East so everyone else is keeping gas for themselves and saying fuck off brexit Britain.

We produce a bit of gas but nowhere near enough to be self sufficient.

Last edited:
I was with Avro too. To be honest, this might actually be an epiphany in terms of energy usage. People will certainly be more mindful of waste, especially retailers who are on their arse and regularly heat/cool the High Street.

Maybe people working from home might just put extra layers on and turn lights off. For the much maligned underclass, their 65"plasma will be the only thing keeping their pipes from freezing.

interesting times. :confused:

Back