Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Build some bloody nuclear power stations. We could be energy self sufficient if we wanted.

Decision over Sizewell C granted six-week extension by the Government

Tories just delaying vital decisions like they did with Heathrow, HS1, Care, etc etc.
Not sure how making the energy companies pay more in tax to the government will lower household bills.

Labour did it under Blair. Helped to make up for the previous 18 years of Tory misrule.

Last edited:

Just don’t pay your direct debit. If everyone did this the entire industry would collapse in a matter of weeks and nationalisation would be necessary. Having worked in a debt/collections department of a large supplier they only account for a tiny portion of the customer base not paying direct debits as part of their debt book.
You generally have the option to pay by quarterly bill, so cancel your DD and pay the exact amount when required instead. That will do have the same effect.

Decision over Sizewell C granted six-week extension by the Government

Tories just delaying vital decisions like they did with Heathrow, HS1, Care, etc etc.
To be fair, both parties in government have been terrible for long term infrastructure planning.

Labour did it under Blair. Helped to make up for the previous 18 years of Tory misrule.

I can understand how a windfall tax is good for the Treasury's coffers but I don't see how making the energy companies pay more in tax will reduce my bill. Besides, they are already paying more in tax and duties because of the rising wholesale price.

To be fair, both parties in government have been terrible for long term infrastructure planning.

I can understand how a windfall tax is good for the Treasury's coffers but I don't see how making the energy companies pay more in tax will reduce my bill. Besides, they are already paying more in tax and duties because of the rising wholesale price.

You have an excuse for the Tories every time. But Labour...

It was the Tories that got rid of the gas storage. That could have been used to smooth out the price hikes and protect some of the energy companies.

The energy companies are still making massive profits - much of it redistributed overseas to subsidise foreign taxpayers. The windfall tax would benefit British taxpayers.

The Tories said they would be able to cut VAT on fuel once we left the EU. Now they are refusing to do exactly that.

That's simple stuff they could have done. Never mind future planning on infrastructure.

11 years in power. What have they done?

It was the Tories that got rid of the gas storage. That could have been used to smooth out the price hikes and protect some of the energy companies.

The energy companies are still making massive profits - much of it redistributed overseas to subsidise foreign taxpayers. The windfall tax would benefit British taxpayers.

The Tories said they would be able to cut VAT on fuel once we left the EU. Now they are refusing to do exactly that.

That's simple stuff they could have done. Never mind future planning on infrastructure.

Did you miss my line "both parties in government have been terrible for long term infrastructure planning".

I'm no apologist for this government. They have done a lots of things wrong.

The energy companies themselves don’t make a lot of profit the parent companies do but that could be distribution and other things

I’ll do this, but I’ll be down that shitty boozer and looking for you not Martin Lewis if I get stiffed in April! 😉
the only way you can get stiffed is to fix at the current rates... in theory the April cap price can only be the same or better than the current best deals. from then its what happens to the wholesale costs until they set the autumn cap price.

the only way you can get stiffed is to fix at the current rates... in theory the April cap price can only be the same or better than the current best deals. from then its what happens to the wholesale costs until they set the autumn cap price.

Don't think that's true at all. Pretty sure the cap is almost certain to go up in April.

Hopefully won't be as much of an issue because usage will be lower in the summer. Next October is the real question
You generally have the option to pay by quarterly bill, so cancel your DD and pay the exact amount when required instead. That will do have the same effect.

Careful you don't get charged more for a quarterly bill @rey mysterio, often a DD gives you a small discount.

Also, a quarterly bill means you'll have to pay 3 months at once so you'd need to keep the money aside.

All the best!

Last edited:
I asked my mrs to send me meter reading readings today, she sent me a video of the GAS meter asking why its spinning and the numbers going up. It was then I remembered I hadn't turned the heating off when I left this morning.

Back