Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Don't think that's true at all. Pretty sure the cap is almost certain to go up in April.
The cap is 100% going up, but only to where the cheapest fix deals are currently. There are no gains to fixing at this point otherwise you’ll be left high & dry if the wholesale drops in the next 12 months.
Next October is the real question
Agreed… politically there’s potential for a winter of discontent.

Mind the uk loves a good crisis…

Last edited:

They need to go back to the good old communist model of community heating. The economies of scale of heating a whole block of flats from a central source have got to be massive, but we go down the petty “I’m not paying for someone else to heat their home” spite path instead.
Gilly Law flats were like that. My mama flat was boiling😀😀

We just moved into a 3-bed semi on Friday. Just rang Octopus and they have put me on direct debit, based on the previous owners usage over the past 12-months. (They worked from home and had a child, we don’t) so I’d be surprised if we used as much.

£115.36 on the flexible rate. They offered me a fixed tariff of £190 but went with the flexible and going to wait and see what happens… I was expecting to pay more than £115

I'm a 3 bed semi with baby and work from home. Octopus was £100, switched to ovo just before loads of companies folded and it went to £150.

Focusing just on this particular issue you can really see the squeeze on the little guy that's happening right across the market.

You aren't supposed to make it.

Just eat porridge or cuddle a pet who needs the heating

In fairness that's just a bit of British banter imo. Sadly people are sensitive/miserable nowadays and take everything literally.

I'm assuming it was wrote before the energy price increases.

Will do. I’m just worried something seems wrong, as I was expecting it to be more than £115 a month, so don’t want to actually end up paying a load more out of nowhere. :lol:

I've just gone onto the variable rate & my suggested DD is £115 for a 3 bed semi (I wfh) no kids, but the misses is always twisting she cold when it's actually quite warm so heating is on more than I'd like it to be. So you're probably going to be OK paying that.

The only caveat is that will be based on annual usage divided by 12. Obviously usage is more in the winter, and prices will change in April.
Don't think that's true at all. Pretty sure the cap is almost certain to go up in April.

Hopefully won't be as much of an issue because usage will be lower in the summer. Next October is the real question

Careful you don't get charged more for a quarterly bill @rey mysterio, often a DD gives you a small discount.

Also, a quarterly bill means you'll have to pay 3 months at once so you'd need to keep the money aside.

All the best!

And the 2% rebate Santander give you.

Last edited:
Just got my monthly electricity statement. Has gone from 14.90p per kWh to 32.00p per kWh. Last month's usage came to £51, this month is £108. Robbing bastards.

Got a letter today from British Gas, my current deal is around £1540 a year, if I leave it to go on to standard variable rate it will rise to £2241, but they’re offering me a deal on a like for like basis, fixed until Jul 2023 for £3687!!!

Over doubling the unit rates and about 20% on standing charges!

Been onto comparison sites, which come back saying due to rising energy prices there are fewer deals available at the moment.

How the f***ing hell are already struggling families going to afford this hike in prices! I’ve had my head buried for a while, but how has this been allowed to happen?
Basically energy companies tarted selling gas to the highest bidder. Unregulated capitalism is the issue, being at hock of the multinationals. Similar to the banks crashing the system and us minions having to sort it out. I'm a believer in social ethical enterprise and not a 'take everything back into public control' man but crucial resources like energy and travel really need to be.

Seems about right for the figures quoted. are you not on the price cap, 32p seems high.
My landlord gets the bill and sends it through, it was on a fixed 2 year business rate and is now on a fixed 1 year business rate. The bugger also popped a note through just after new year to give me the great news that my rent has also increased by £45 p/m. That I didn't really mind as I've not had a rent increase for 5 years but added to the extra cost of electric I'll have to do one Sunday of overtime a month to break even.

My landlord gets the bill and sends it through, it was on a fixed 2 year business rate and is now on a fixed 1 year business rate. The bugger also popped a note through just after new year to give me the great news that my rent has also increased by £45 p/m. That I didn't really mind as I've not had a rent increase for 5 years but added to the extra cost of electric I'll have to do one Sunday of overtime a month to break even.
Rubbish. Everyone has got a whopping pay rise to compensate for all these increases. It's a Brucie Brexit bonus, I read it on here.

Back