Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Just had an electric business quote off EDF whey wanted £5.50 ish per day standing charge never mind the unit rate, up from i think 80p. FML

If the 7k includes energy, council tax and water you're paying over £300 a month service charge. What are you getting for that?

What have you paid in previous years?
Doesn't include council tax, includes heating and water
If the 7k includes energy, council tax and water you're paying over £300 a month service charge. What are you getting for that?

What have you paid in previous years?
Gone up in the last ten years from 4.5k to just short of 7k. We have a 24 hour concierge service, nice gardens etc. Common parts of the building are marble etc etc.

Last edited:
Doesn't include council tax, includes heating and water

Gone up in the last ten years from 4.5k to just short of 7k. We have a 24 hour concierge service, nice gardens etc. Common parts of the building are marble etc etc.
I'd expect a big rise next year, no way will they absorb the energy rise.

Sounds like a nice place.

Just had an electric business quote off EDF whey wanted £5.50 ish per day standing charge never mind the unit rate, up from i think 80p. FML
Disgusting. Don't know what business you're in but businesses can't be expected to absorb all of that and customers can't pay the increase you'll need to put on the prices either. Tough times ahead

Disgusting. Don't know what business you're in but businesses can't be expected to absorb all of that and customers can't pay the increase you'll need to put on the prices either. Tough times ahead

Its just bad luck really, most people wont get that type of quote. What happened is, Im part of a unit that was once one big unit. Each business now has their own meter but I have the original meter and because it was once a large unit it is a Half Hourly meter (usually reserved for factories and heavy users), which means I have heavy admin surcharges (to collect usage figures every half an hour) which are in the daily rate. most little shops wont have a HH meter.

Its still a massive increase mind.

whenever you suggest that the National Grid or the provider downgrade the meter to a normal phase meter its like a hot potato, nobody wants to get involved.

Its just bad luck really, most people wont get that type of quote. What happened is, Im part of a unit that was once one big unit. Each business now has their own meter but I have the original meter and because it was once a large unit it is a Half Hourly meter (usually reserved for factories and heavy users), which means I have heavy admin surcharges (to collect usage figures every half an hour) which are in the daily rate. most little shops wont have a HH meter.

Its still a massive increase mind.

whenever you suggest that the National Grid or the provider downgrade the meter to a normal phase meter its like a hot potato, nobody wants to get involved.
Course they don't want to get involved. Wankers. Problem is it won't even be as simple as moving location I imagine. Customers will know you for where you are.

That standing charge is the new TCR charges. even when the rates do eventually drop, your standing charge will still be high.

Yeah, its included. I didnt think there was a figure for it yet though? My current provider says they are not quoting for it on the quote and will just add it in later, so they want me to go in blind.

The meter is 13 year old now and with the additional charge being levied this year, I'm not going to be fobbed off by constant run-around calls where I'm left chasing my own tail. Its crackers, on a HH meter and my KVA charge is 5 and annual usage is about 9000 kwh per annum. There is no way im paying £2,000 on levies and admin charges on that level of use, its probably more than double the actual electricity bill. Would rather put a crowbar to the meter to force the issue.

Last edited:
Yeah, its included. I didnt think there was a figure for it yet though? My current provider says they are not quoting for it on the quote and will just add it in later, so they want me to go in blind.

The meter is 13 year old now and with the additional charge being levied this year, I'm not going to be fobbed off by constant run-around calls where I'm left chasing my own tail. Its crackers, on a HH meter and my KVA charge is 5 and annual usage is about 9000 kwh per annum. There is no way im paying £2,000 on levies and admin charges on that level of use, its probably more than double the actual electricity bill. Would rather put a crowbar to the meter to force the issue.

It’s happening all too often tbh, I had a customer move in to an old manufacturing site that the council couldn’t find anyone to use it so they got it heavily discounted. They use 25,000 kWh max but the kva is set at 600 and the standing charge is £16 a day.

The tcr has been delayed until April 2023, but the suppliers are already putting it in.

Having an argument with EDF at the minute as I signed up to their 12 month budget direct debit scheme, which clearly stated you spread the cost over 12 months. Which is how i have always known it.

Use more in winter and rack up a debit balance then use less in summer and it balances itself out.

However EDF take my direct debit each month and then take a further payment if I have used more than the direct debit amount. I asked what happens if I'm in credit each month and the answer was that they would reduce the DD and refund the money.

When I queried this and asked how I'm supposed to build up credit over the summer to use in the winter they reply with its part of the direct debit guarentee?

I have argued that they have based this on estimated readings as the smart meter they installed hasn't worked since it was put in and I'm still waiting for it to be fixed, despite me emailing and ringing them twice a month for the past 3 months about it.

Last edited:

Back