Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Sorry If SEB BUT we really need to start calling ofgem out.

Who are they. What purpose so they actually serve. Is there a conflict of interests.
No doubt they employ a board of senior people on crazy salaries.

Wtf is going on.
Often are pretty powerless, there just regulate the prices we pay and can’t do anything about the wholesale price these companies buy it for.

One of the issues is , gas is bought on the futures market so if we do see a decline in prices it will be a long time before that filters to households.

Often are pretty powerless, there just regulate the prices we pay and can’t do anything about the wholesale price these companies buy it for.

One of the issues is , gas is bought on the futures market so if we do see a decline in prices it will be a long time before that filters to households.

That’s not strictly true. When the price cap first came about the big 6 were complaining that the cap was being set too low, they pressed on with it anyway.

Ofgem have become toothless, but they weren’t when all of this started, I’m not sure who was the chief exec at Ofgem then but the wet lettuce at the helm now seems perfectly happy to play along as it stands, dreadful state of affairs.

159.7 today at Costco for unleaded.
Still a pisstake given the price of oil. But leading the way all the same.
That’s not strictly true. When the price cap first came about the big 6 were complaining that the cap was being set too low, they pressed on with it anyway.

Ofgem have become toothless, but they weren’t when all of this started, I’m not sure who was the chief exec at Ofgem then but the wet lettuce at the helm now seems perfectly happy to play along as it stands, dreadful state of affairs.
Brown envelopes perhaps?

But for sure, they are a waste of time at present.

Last edited:
Still a pisstake given the price of oil. But leading the way all the same.

Brown envelopes perhaps?

But for sure, they are a waste of time at present.

Given the current state of affairs with the cabinet and how easy they are to lobby it wouldn’t be a massive stretch, they are probably all mates in the same clubs somewhere down the line.

It doesn’t effect me but the lack of an energy cap for businesses is absolutely appalling too.

Given the current state of affairs with the cabinet and how easy they are to lobby it wouldn’t be a massive stretch, they are probably all mates in the same clubs somewhere down the line.

It doesn’t effect me but the lack of an energy cap for businesses is absolutely appalling too.
Hopefully it will change one day but a GE is still a while away, and your second point goes without saying.

Was reading up on this recently and it is eye watering.

Certainly the cheapest around.

How does one get a Costco card? Thinking of checking it out.
I got lucky and someone was outside Morrisons in Consett a couple of months back and paid for the card there and then. Spent £33 but saved loads of money in Costco itself and every time I'm down the Metrocentre I always fill up there. Always about 5-6p better than the nearest petrol station but today they were 16p better than the one at the bottom of Swalwell bank.

My Electricity bill is set to double at the end of September. The only option is to increase my prices.
And you couldn’t be doing that at a worse time. Can see a lot of small businesses going to the wall with this. But hey, the rich get their bit.
I got lucky and someone was outside Morrisons in Consett a couple of months back and paid for the card there and then. Spent £33 but saved loads of money in Costco itself and every time I'm down the Metrocentre I always fill up there. Always about 5-6p better than the nearest petrol station but today they were 16p better than the one at the bottom of Swalwell bank.
I was working at the metrocentre just before the fuel prices went through the roof and their is a little station there cheap as chips. Possibly the one you are on about.

Last edited:
Special mention for how shite EDF are…. Been months since I’ve had a bill. I was put onto EDF by the government when previous supplier went bust last year. Got a bill in February. Rang them today as I’ve just realised I’ve not had a bill since. They’ve told me cause I’m on the ‘budget tariff’ I only get a bill every six months. Ok then but can you tell me how much I’ve spent so far as I’ve given you a meter reading every month and I haven’t got a clue what I’m going to get hit with….

After ten minutes on hold I was told they can’t tell me ….

National crisis around fuel costs and EDF can’t tell me how much I’ve spent after five months !

WTF is that all about ?? Surely that can’t be right ??

Special mention for how shite EDF are…. Been months since I’ve had a bill. I was put onto EDF by the government when previous supplier went bust last year. Got a bill in February. Rang them today as I’ve just realised I’ve not had a bill since. They’ve told me cause I’m on the ‘budget tariff’ I only get a bill every six months. Ok then but can you tell me how much I’ve spent so far as I’ve given you a meter reading every month and I haven’t got a clue what I’m going to get hit with….

National crisis around fuel costs and EDF can’t tell me how much I’ve spent after five months !

They’re useless, even when you eventually get through to someone they don’t have a clue

Hopefully it will change one day but a GE is still a while away, and your second point goes without saying.

Was reading up on this recently and it is eye watering.

Aye, properly grim, doubly shit if you’re running an SME and you’ve got the worry both ends, mentally that must be tough,

They use SAP mate, and it’s absolutely shite, the only energy company using it half decent are BG and even that’s only because when they implemented they had that many problems they shut their call centres for a fortnight to get their issues sorted.

Others that have gone with it have been plagued with problems and continue to be.

Last edited:

That's terrible service that mind. I use Scottish Power and even before my smart meter I could just go online, put my readings in and get an up to date bill.

It does effect you indirectly as it is a major cause of the inflation.
That's terrible service that mind. I use Scottish Power and even before my smart meter I could just go online, put my readings in and get an up to date bill.

I am with scottish power but have so far resisted getting a smart meter. Still don't know whether I should

It does effect you indirectly as it is a major cause of the inflation.

I am with scottish power but have so far resisted getting a smart meter. Still don't know whether I should
I got one about a year ago. The engineer left manky black handprints all over the house the scruffy twat.

Back