Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

I’ve just got my new DD which has gone up to £400, so aye that will cover 1 month for me. Cheers Rishi.

Don't you live in one of those small cottages on your own ? How the hell are you paying £400?

Mines currently £165, and if I was on my own it'd probably be 30% less as I wouldn't have heating or washing machine on anywhere near as much as the misses

Don't you live in one of those small cottages on your own ? How the hell are you paying £400?

Mines currently £165, and if I was on my own it'd probably be 30% less as I wouldn't have heating or washing machine on anywhere near as much as the misses
Ours is £183, could easy get it to £120 if I lived on my own.

It’s mental tbh, I’m fixed until august 2023 and pay 139 a month .

It’s paying for mine for 3 months , I don’t need it as rises Not effecting me …yet.

So I’ll take the perspective that I’ll just use as credit until I get shafted in 2023

Kids aren't cheap, probably won't go far.
I know exactly what they cost, seeing as they live with me 3 days a week, and it’s a long way short of 800 a month I can tell you .

I’m not on my own though am I? I have two teenagers who leave every light and appliance on and demand the house to be of reasonable temperature. Oh and don’t forget the school clothes that they give you to wash and dry the night before so that the dryer has to be on for about 4 hours.

But apart from that, it’s not really 400. 120 of that is car charging (until I get onto a cheap off peak tariff) and the other 280 is artificially high as I’ve been paying the same amount since before it went up, so I’m 350 in debit.

But if you want to compare usage, I’m doing about 400 units of leccy a month, another 400 car charging and about 1800 gas on average.

Last edited:
Crazy scheme , easy option , should have been based on household income giving more money to those who really need help and less to those who will get by ok
I disagree.
If you go down this route it shouldn’t be household income, but household disposable income. An exaggerated example:
Family 1: income £100k, but costs including mortgage repayment of £80k
Family 2: income £40k, but living costs of £10k.
Family 1 have arguably the bigger need for support, though if based purely on income as you suggest, Family 2 would receive the support.

I disagree.
If you go down this route it shouldn’t be household income, but household disposable income. An exaggerated example:
Family 1 have arguably the bigger need for support, though if based purely on income as you suggest, Family 2 would receive the support.

But then Family 1 made the choice of taking on a massive mortgage & having low level of disposable income. People on low salaries don't have that choice.

So if you're means testing it on incomes, then income earned is fairer

I disagree.
Completely mental to be dishing out cash to people on 100k (combined) a year over those on 40k just because the 100k'ers are incapable of managing their finances.

But then Family 1 made the choice of taking on a massive mortgage & having low level of disposable income. People on low salaries don't have that choice.

So if you're means testing it on incomes, then income earned is fairer
I was thinking those in more expensive parts of the country for housing etc, and I acknowledge it was an exaggerated example .

Energy companies stick direct debits up by ridiculous amounts, way above what they should be, it's happened for years.
It's nothing new.

Even when increases weren't high, Npower sent me a letter saying they were increasing it by what equated to 50%.
I got on the phone and told them quite bluntly what I was going to pay not what they wanted.

The daughter did exactly the same recently, let's say her bills went up 42%, they increased the DD by 86%, you wouldn't go to fill the car up and give them £20 extra for next time.

What's even more ridiculous is those that will now be paying fixed rates at levels that are way and beyond standard tariffs, absolute idiots.

Back