End of Sir Geoffrey on TMS?

Bit of a shite article that tbf. Says he “may have made his last appearance on TMS” but further down states that due to the current situation they’ve decided to leave him out for this series but may reconsider if the situation changes. He’ll be back :cool:

Should think Sky will do the same with Bumble and Michael Holding

Bit of a shite article that tbf. Says he “may have made his last appearance on TMS” but further down states that due to the current situation they’ve decided to leave him out for this series but may reconsider if the situation changes. He’ll be back :cool:

Should think Sky will do the same with Bumble and Michael Holding
And it also says "But sources suggest that while the former Yorkshire batsman may yet appear as a guest on an ad hoc basis, there were already plans to move him out of the commentary box before the pandemic struck." For all we know Boycott doesn't want to be involved in every game, he's a canny age now, maybe he's fed up with the travelling and staying in hotels?

I suppose it might not be Sir Geoffrey’s thing but BT have had people commentating on the German football from home.

Whatever happens though it’s sad that this situation may have deprived him of a “final Test” unless they bring him back for a deserved one off once things improve

The modernisation of TMS is hugely detrimental to its quality.

Every year, the commentators and summarisers they employ are getting worse.
You and I will never fully agree on this, but I DO agree with you to a point. TMS has to evolve unless you envisage a 90yo Aggers commentating on his own once the rest have all died off.
I think Boycott should always be part of TMS until such time a he isn't able to/doesn't want to do it. I agreed with Blowers leaving as his commentary was so far behind the play by the end that it was hard to understand what is going on.

You have to preserve the institution, but by doing so you have to protect it's future too with careful additions. I think Cook, Vaughan and Tufnell have been welcome additions over the years (I'm not getting back into the debate about the female commentators with you!) but further evolution should be carefully planned. I think Anderson and Broad would be good summarisers when the time comes.

I don't believe in holding on to the old boys just for nostalgia's sake, but BBC needs to be careful and not just ship people out because they think they are too old. Wonder if Gower could be tempted to do some TMS stints?

I hope its to do with the pandemic one of the only reasons I still listen to it is for him, I am already sick of the BBC and its PC stance it has now become ridiculous, from kids programmes to entertainment to sport it seems the more supposedly marginalised you are the better chance you have at getting a gig with them, just give it to the best person ffs, I also take the stance as well about the constant nepotism we are seeing too.

You and I will never fully agree on this, but I DO agree with you to a point. TMS has to evolve unless you envisage a 90yo Aggers commentating on his own once the rest have all died off.
I think Boycott should always be part of TMS until such time a he isn't able to/doesn't want to do it. I agreed with Blowers leaving as his commentary was so far behind the play by the end that it was hard to understand what is going on.

You have to preserve the institution, but by doing so you have to protect it's future too with careful additions. I think Cook, Vaughan and Tufnell have been welcome additions over the years (I'm not getting back into the debate about the female commentators with you!) but further evolution should be carefully planned. I think Anderson and Broad would be good summarisers when the time comes.

I don't believe in holding on to the old boys just for nostalgia's sake, but BBC needs to be careful and not just ship people out because they think they are too old. Wonder if Gower could be tempted to do some TMS stints?
Gower is almost made for TMS I reckon. They'd be absolutely mad not to bring him in

Said Boycott was a bit boring and it was time he was put out to grass on another website.

Half of Yorkshire replied telling me I was wrong and he was a living God. :lol:

A lot of people don’t like him because they perceive him to be a moaning fucker.

Truth is, he just calls it as it is. He’s a massive supporter of cricket in general, where he says good play he’ll call it. Where he says bad play, same, he’ll call it.

He also absolutely adores England and so if they aren’t winning he is brutally honest as to what’s going wrong.

I could listen to him talk about technique all day, every day, his knowledge of the game is absolutely first class and the fact is, he’s probably forgotten more about cricket than the likes of Guha will ever know.

As eddyfinn says though, it’s not at all to do with ability and everything to do with the ‘woke’ culture.

People who frequent the politics forum would probably label me as a loony lefty (or leftwaffe), but I’m simply a promoter of egalitarianism in its fullness. The BBC however, prefer positive discrimination.

Don't mind The Cat and Vaughn, the rest are pretty crap. Obviously apart from Sir Geoff and Aggers.

Back