Empty Newcastle

Is that the old crest hotel
Here it is, it's been like that for years

Edit: Just noticed the site automatically removes map links
You can't share the short link but the long link works

2. Central Snooker Club

The former Central Snooker Club has stood empty for years. The city centre building used to house Madison’s nightclub and Maceys until the 90s. A large section of the building has been a hotel since 1976, originally the Newcastle Centre Hotel its since had many names- Forte Crest Hotel in the 80s, Holiday Inn in 90s, Premier Inn in the 00s and now the New Bridge Hotel. In 2022, plans were lodged to turn the building into a 37 storey tower which will house apartments, restaurants and a hotel.

Last edited:
No idea TBH.

It's up the ramp from the old library which was behind Littlewoods. Showing my age there.

We used to park at Manors to go and see Fenwick's window and the arcade was a tip then. You're kind of above the Laing art gallery at some point.

I rarely get to Newcastle now anyway.

It is yeah and to be fair it’s always been a shithole behind the hotel since I was bairn, it’s all due to be pulled down soon if I remember correctly, hence the reasoning to just leave it all to basically rot.
I live a stones throw away from the centre and the decline over recent years has been notable but I’d argue most city’s are the same. The rise in drug addicts/so called homeless over the past 5years or so is more of an indication of the decline of the whole country, it’s no different to the likes of Liverpool or Manchester in regards to those.

Wish I could just go back 20 or so years ago when I could just get on the bus for like 20p, aged 11, go to the likes of reflex and buy the latest imported vinyl and not have a care in the world or notice any problems :lol:

Last edited:
You can't share the short link but the long link works

2. Central Snooker Club

The former Central Snooker Club has stood empty for years. The city centre building used to house Madison’s nightclub and Maceys until the 90s. A large section of the building has been a hotel since 1976, originally the Newcastle Centre Hotel its since had many names- Forte Crest Hotel in the 80s, Holiday Inn in 90s, Premier Inn in the 00s and now the New Bridge Hotel. In 2022, plans were lodged to turn the building into a 37 storey tower which will house apartments, restaurants and a hotel.
Madison and Tiffany's IIRC were in the same area. And the one with phones on tables, Tuxedo Junction?

Madison and Tiffany's IIRC were in the same area. And the one with phones on tables, Tuxedo Junction?
Yes, Tuxedo Junction. During their heyday of 1978-1985, the 3 nightclubs were only about 100 yards from eachother.

Tiffany's replaced The Oxford Galleries (on celluloid in an early scene in Get Carter), which opened in 1925 and closed in 1971. It had incorporated part of John Dobson's self-designed home when this part of Newcastle was the most salubrious area of the city (now the grimmest thanks, particularly, to the urban vandalism of the '60s.

a mere stone's throw. changed it's name to "buzz" in later years and has been demolished, to make way for the HMRC building.

Has anyone mentioned the Bowling alley on Westgate Road? The old Brighton Electric Theatre. I bought a very rare souvenir mug ages ago of Queen Mary and George V (so it is dated probably 1910) and below it is the words "Souvenir from", below that "Brighton Electric Theatre" and below that "Newcastle On Tyne". Whenever I come back from weekly car boot fair in Corbridge in the summer months I look out for the theatre on my way back home and I despair of the state of this old building. Indictive of how empty and dilapidated some interesting parts of the city along that area is. All along that section of Westgate Road as you East and down toward the Redheugh Bridge is just empty now. Dead.

Last edited:
ES update, unit next to 02 (Northumberland St. entrance), closed, unit next to Fenwick entrance, closed, Eldon Gardon, closed bar one health food shop, Debenhams, still closed, 2 units on High Bridge, closed, 'Food Quarter, now a food Eighth as half of them are closed. 2 shops on Northumberland street having 'closing down sales', most of the rest fast food, 'leisure wear', card, phone or toiletries outlets. Vibrant.

I went to newcastle college from 92-94 and that whole end of the city back then was a complete slum. The walk from the college up past the broken doll, that way on was just full of alkis and people off their nut. Its 1000% better nowadays than it was back then

Newcastle is dying

Before I go on, my lass has booked us in for a night away at the Vermont Hotel seen in the video at 20:10.

Anyway, the reason even Newcastle is dying is because of what happened to Eldon Garden. It simply got out-competed by much larger retail developments. Eldon Square is much more larger and successful so Eldon Garden slowly died. But Eldon Square might be struggling because of Northumberland St which is larger and longer again. But the MetroCentre is out competing them all. But that started to die when online shopping came along.

All city centres will be all but dead within the next decade or so. Even Oxford Street has plenty of empty huge units.
Oxford Street was a bit of a mixed bag when I first came down here in 1989, there were big shops like the HMV store but lots of really shitty ones selling tourist tat and as a mate said at the time "full of pound shops" (long before Poundland). I have never understood why it ever had such a big reputation as a shopping street (I'm not a great one for shopping like so there is that).

Oxford Street was a bit of a mixed bag when I first came down here in 1989, there were big shops like the HMV store but lots of really shitty ones selling tourist tat and as a mate said at the time "full of pound shops" (long before Poundland). I have never understood why it ever had such a big reputation as a shopping street (I'm not a great one for shopping like so there is that).

Down there for a weekend in November, I was shocked with the amount of empty units there and Regent street and even Bond Street.

Prime retail sites that obviously can’t pay their way now.

It’s a nationwide problem now.

Because most retailers have their flagship shops there. It's always rammed there no matter when you visit. Seems to be mostly tourists though.

It's getting a revamp soon as it happens. Wider footway, more trees, seating etc.

Happening everywhere. Bristol has lost M&S and Debenhams in quick succession. Coming in to city centre from the north the first thing you see is a boarded up department store. Depressing

Back