Empty Newcastle

mackem35

Winger

So despite people telling me Newcastle is booming the truth is more smoke and mirrors. Yes, the central bits are doing well (or appear to be) a lot of work needed to consolidate what is there. Prob why the need to get the Longbenton jobs into the centre. Not knocking Newcastle here, but just wanting to show the people on here who constantly claim retail in Sunderland is rubbish and Newcastle is brilliant, the truth isn't quite what I have been told on here. I was actually shocked watching that as long time since I went into Newcastle and didn't think it had gone downhill as much as that. Nothing left anywhere at this rate.

Except it's not. Many empty units in ES also
Some of the bigger units in the newer part but apart from that It’s busy as owt man I’m in every week. I think the OP is on a fishing trip
He does make a point later on about areas being busy but it's the contraction of the retail to keep those areas busy.
I’m wondering what time he’s there as well mind as at the beginning he’s at the green just down from monument and it looks very early morning

Some of the bigger units in the newer part but apart from that It’s busy as owt man I’m in every week. I think the OP is on a fishing trip

I’m wondering what time he’s there as well mind as at the beginning he’s at the green just down from monument and it looks very early morning
Its like the animals around the watering hole though, as the water dries up the last watering hole gets busier. Watched loads of his videos and just tells it as it is, no axe to grind anywhere he goes.

Regular viewer of his videos. Doesn't do places down and tries to show how a place is, good, bad or indifferent. Or all three.

Shows in that video that the very main street bits and most of Eldon Square is doing well and busy (even at times he tends to be there) but just off the main streets are a different story.

Remember one place he went to which had a massive Tesco pretty much next to the town centre seemingly killing the place. Slough I think?

So despite people telling me Newcastle is booming the truth is more smoke and mirrors. Yes, the central bits are doing well (or appear to be) a lot of work needed to consolidate what is there. Prob why the need to get the Longbenton jobs into the centre. Not knocking Newcastle here, but just wanting to show the people on here who constantly claim retail in Sunderland is rubbish and Newcastle is brilliant, the truth isn't quite what I have been told on here. I was actually shocked watching that as long time since I went into Newcastle and didn't think it had gone downhill as much as that. Nothing left anywhere at this rate.

I was coming home tonight and it was full of down and outs and gangs of teens roaming about, apart from the pubs like, rose and crown, lowthers and the beehive it's was empty inside places. Obviously my walk from china town to st Nicholas church isn't reflective of the whole of Newcastle but it's looking rough.

Also for balance, the person in the video must be walking around pre 9 am given how quiet monument is.

Last edited:
Moving the jobs from longbenton at a cost of millions. They could have moved them to Sunderland for probably a tenth of the cost. If anyone wants to complain about relocating all those workers, think about the hundreds of folk from Peterlee, Durham and Sunderland who had to relocate to longbenton as successive govt centralised everything.

Back