Empty Newcastle

I’m a bit cynical regarding the veracity of the entirety of what that video purports to display

We were there last week. First time in Eldon Square for about 3 years, and was shocked at the number of empty units. And the cost of parking in the multi storey is daylight robbery.

Don't think you've quite grasped the video!
Too busy looking for somewhere to have a piss.
Empty Newcastle my arse. Just popped into M&S and it's chuffing heaving. Now standing in a massive queue in Fenwick's for the loo!
50% of the people in M&S at any one time are a) grabbing their lunch, b) waiting for their bus. not much spending going on there.

Last edited:
I don’t think I ever remember that arcade near the Laing ever being open like, certainly not in the late 90s. Could be entirely wrong likr

I went through Newcastle before Xmas. Hadn't been there for some time and walked from Central Station and thought how dirty and untidy it looked. Compare that to the Empire/ Firestation/Keel Square area and I know where I'd rather drink.

Has anyone mentioned the Bowling alley on Westgate Road? The old Brighton Electric Theatre. I bought a very rare souvenir mug ages ago of Queen Mary and George V (so it is dated probably 1910) and below it is the words "Souvenir from", below that "Brighton Electric Theatre" and below that "Newcastle On Tyne". Whenever I come back from weekly car boot fair in Corbridge in the summer months I look out for the theatre on my way back home and I despair of the state of this old building. Indictive of how empty and dilapidated some interesting parts of the city along that area is. All along that section of Westgate Road as you East and down toward the Redheugh Bridge is just empty now. Dead.
Think it closed and reopened a few times. Used to go their as kids. Always had a keycode to get into the toilets to keep the smackheads out. Shame it closed though.

Back