RR Employment law, fitness and Duncan Watmore: Another tough task for Sunderland to contend with

RTG

Robot
Staff member
Photo by Ian Horrocks/Sunderland AFC via Getty Images “Personally I believe that the perverse nature of employment law within football is debilitating for clubs, and cases like Watmore prove it” writes Damian Brown. Nearly six months ago Duncan Watmore celebrated his birthday. Fortunate enough to be on the right side of thirty, at twenty five...

More at Roker Report...

Why bother writing that?

If I was more cynical I'd see that being PR driven with the aim of turning opinion (the opinion that's left to turn) against Watmore for picking up his wage. Then when he's gone we can all pat the powers that be on the head for getting another high earner off the wage bill.

That makes no sense. What is so special about Duncan that gives him extra leeway like?

You make no sense 😀 im saying that if an opportunity comes up where we can agree to end his contract then we should. 66 games in that time and 6 goals is shocking but he seems to get leeway cos hes a 'nice lad'.

You make no sense 😀 im saying that if an opportunity comes up where we can agree to end his contract then we should. 66 games in that time and 6 goals is shocking but he seems to get leeway cos hes a 'nice lad'.
So he's the only "nice lad" then? I disagree.

This. I thought it was a terrible article. His situation is miles away from the likes of Rodwell and Ndong. He was given a 5 year deal when he was looking decent in the premier league then has suffered a catalogue of serious injuries. Not his fault.
The lad has made 66 appearances in 6 years. If it was anyone else we would be clammering to get rid.
Because of injury. It's not like he's Rodwell and refusing to play.

Last edited:
The lad has made 66 appearances in 6 years. If it was anyone else we would be clammering to get rid.
But it's not anyone else, the lad does everything right, lives the perfect life off the pitch and has been desperately unlucky. He's not some knobhead taking the puss put of the club. If we were to push a decent lad like this out of the club , then you can bet players of watmores mentality will not be wanting to join in the future

This. I thought it was a terrible article. His situation is miles away from the likes of Rodwell and Ndong. He was given a 5 year deal when he was looking decent in the premier league then has suffered a catalogue of serious injuries. Not his fault.

Because of injury. It's not like he's Rodwell and refusing to play.

Thats all well and good. He is injured. I feel for the lad and hope he gets back to full fitness. But not at this club. I would not be taking further gambles on him considering his fitness and that is whats best for safc imo. Would you give him a new deal in Jan?

"We’ve seen players with strong potential fall by the wayside - the wayside is veritably littered with them. Not so Duncan Watmore, a boy from a very privileged background with a good education and enough connections through his father that I doubt he’d even have to interview for a very comfortable job in his next career. "

Me-ow! How bitter?

:confused:

But it's not anyone else, the lad does everything right, lives the perfect life off the pitch and has been desperately unlucky. He's not some knobhead taking the puss put of the club. If we were to push a decent lad like this out of the club , then you can bet players of watmores mentality will not be wanting to join in the future

Im not saying he is. No where have i said that. The lads appears to be a very good professional. However we are not loaded. We work on a one in and one out scheme now. Im saying his wages will be taking up a spot for someone else to come who could be actually capable of playing and contributing. We are not here to pay a lads wages for being unlucky. I agree though that if he wants to see out his deal he can. Thats football and thats why there are contracts. We were happy to sign it at the time and have to live with that

Back